Home
Posted By: JeffG tight barrel fit, suggestions? - 06/29/15
Hello,
I just acquired a custom Lilja stainless barrel, that came off a stainless Remington model 7. I was hoping it would spin right on to one of two actions I have (722, 700 A-prefix)...it would not.

It measures maybe 2/10thous too big for my actions, it will start in, but only go 3-4 threads before stopping. I tried turning it a bit more with an action wrench but it bound up when I went to back it out... made me pucker a bit, but it came off.

Does this need to be put back on a lathe, or can I try working it in with lapping compound?

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.
Jeff
Trued action means larger thread dia, therefore you have to have your gunsmith fit the barrel to the action.

In otherwords, you are trying to get 10 lbs of sugar in a 5 lb bag.
Stainless on stainless will gall. Be sure and lube the threads or you will have a 'ell of a problem.
Good news-I'm going stainless to blue, and the lapping compound worked!! It took about 15 minutes with fine valve lapping compound to get the barrel to spin on/off free-hand.

Bad news- as I was moving the action across the bench, I bumped the trigger shoe on the barrel vice...snap...sh***t

...anyone have a drawer of 722 trigger parts?
Jeff I've got a like new complete trigger if your interested. I'll have to have $40 for it and that may scare you off. powdr
© 24hourcampfire