Home
I plan to have a 6.5saum built. Not a sporter, but a heavier barrel for 'precision rifle' competitions and just shooting stuff from a long ways away.

I actually have a stock Rem 700 SA with mag boltface on the way, but just wanted other opinions on whether I should start w/ a custom action vs putting money into the Rem action.

I've had several Nesika/Defiance actions and have a high opinion of them. My one Stiller was pretty rough, but shot well and they're also a bit cheaper, no?

Anyway, cost does play a factor, but I don't want to spring for a custom and not have it smooth like a custom should be.

What options should I look at?

Thanks.
I would run surgeon 591 myself
Borden Alpine would be perfect and even gives you 3" in the box I believe. All of my Borden actions are exceptional and super smooth.
Originally Posted by ShootOne
I would run surgeon 591 myself

care to tell me why?
You can make a damn accurate rig off a 700 action for far less than a custom.
If money is not a option then a Bat Action is the way to go
Originally Posted by RDFinn
You can make a damn accurate rig off a 700 action for far less than a custom.

Not for far less if it is done properly. This is a chebby- fordge thread maybe.
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Borden Alpine would be perfect and even gives you 3" in the box I believe. All of my Borden actions are exceptional and super smooth.

integral lug and rail

1 piece bolt, good tolerances but locks up tight

mine ran in all conditions so i have alot of confidence in it
You would most likely go to greater lengths to "true up" a 700 than I would (square action face, bolt face, square up lugs and run the action threads).
So, what are you squaring it to for the machining that you are speaking of? Not saying that your method is wrong. I just think you need to shoot a stock receiver, custom barrel, bedded stock, and a great trigger, or go with a custom. Remember opinions are like A$$HOLES.
Go with the Defiance XM, more room in the mag to chase the lands, and you won"t have to use the wyatts magazine!
I just believe what Hart Barrels does to a 700 action is enough to em shoot.
I'd go with a BAT, Surgeon, or Defiance.
BAT is going to be the smoothest of those in my experience
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Go with the Defiance XM, more room in the mag to chase the lands, and you won"t have to use the wyatts magazine!

+1
Why not order a GAP with their Templar action. Heck, if you're gonna have one built, go to the originator...
Originally Posted by ExtremeHunter16
Why not order a GAP with their Templar action. Heck, if you're gonna have one built, go to the originator...

Yup that & go shoot stuff.
I like my Chebby better.

GAP is at the top of my list, but its not the only name on the list.

And I guess the reason is that I'd probably save a few hundred by having it built on a 700.
Defiance or Defiance manufactured would be my choice. Maybe call Travis at R Bros over in Elma.
Originally Posted by slm9s

GAP is at the top of my list, but its not the only name on the list.

And I guess the reason is that I'd probably save a few hundred by having it built on a 700.

Are you going to run a DBM?

Yes
Not sure which one though.
I have GAP build mine on 700s. I like the sloppy 700 tolerances. My 6.5 SAUM will shoot under 1" @ 300 yards so I don't think I'm giving up much with that choice.
If you're planning on using a repeater go long.

Adam
Originally Posted by greentimber
I have GAP build mine on 700s. I like the sloppy 700 tolerances. My 6.5 SAUM will shoot under 1" @ 300 yards so I don't think I'm giving up much with that choice.

What does it shoot the rest of the time?
Not sure which one though.

Look at APA's dbm probably the nicest design!
Originally Posted by ab_bentley

Adam

Why do you say that?

Adam

Absolutely no reason to go long..............
I'd like to hear the "reasons" why myself....
Short action Rem 700 works fine for the 6.5 SAUM 4S using the standard (neck turn) reamer.

This one is 7lb on the dot as pictured.

Attached picture Fin 1.jpg

Adam

Why do you say that?

Until you try and seat a 140 or a CE at the base of the neck. Same reason all my 260s are long actions. If you don't mind having to stay within mag restrictions, that's one thing, but having that extra room, imo, makes a big differance.

The action length has nothing to do with feeding, i was referring to the the differance between a single shot and the repeater. If a single shot was used no matter on the length, if a repeater was used then a long action is my preference.

Adam
If you've never played around with a Tikka T3, do yourself a favor and mess with one. They're A LOT of bang for the buck.

From the people I've read about doing customs, the actions did not need to be trued.

Adam

Why do you say that?
Until you try and seat a 140 or a CE at the base of the neck. Same reason all my 260s are long actions. If you don't mind having to stay within mag restrictions, that's one thing, but having that extra room, imo, makes a big differance.

The action length has nothing to do with feeding, i was referring to the the differance between a single shot and the repeater. If a single shot was used no matter on the length, if a repeater was used then a long action is my preference.

Adam

OP is planning on using a DBM system which solves the COAL issue....
Notch the feed ramp in a Rem SA action and your GTG...
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be removing any material from the feed ramp even though some say it is safe, I personally think the Defiance XM action is one of the better choices if you need the extra room, but a dbm would not be an option, but the XM bm made by Sunnyhill is pretty nice!
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

What does it shoot the rest of the time?

Haven't shot many 100 yard groups, but the ones I have have been comparable. Also haven't been able to stretch it out longer yet. Will get to a buddy's 800 yard range sometime between now and elk season.
Hmm. . . Tikkas are veeerrryyy smooth.
© 24hourcampfire