Home
Posted By: plafleur Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/15/15
Anyone know a reputable gunsmith that will work on Browning A Bolts? I'm looking to cut down barrel length and recrown or rebarrel. Thanks.
Any good gunsmith in your area should be able to handle a cut and crown as well as putting another barrel on.
Thanks for the reply,but I would not let most local smiths work on anything. That's why I was looking for "reputable" recommendations from experience. Most smiths I know of work on Remington ,or Winchester,but not Browning.
Posted By: 358Dog Re: Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/17/15
Plafleur, I have had three rifles worked on my Randy Selby in Wyoming. He did a great job, fast turn around time and a very fair price. You can check out his web site.
I would not hesitate to use him again.
Good hunting.
Have you tried contacting browning here in the St Louis area (Arnold, MO) to see what they would charge to do it?
Posted By: fats Re: Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/17/15
Try Garland Gilbreath in Stephenville TX! He's a great guy!

Fast, Reasonable!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/18/15
Originally Posted by plafleur
Thanks for the reply,but I would not let most local smiths work on anything. That's why I was looking for "reputable" recommendations from experience.
Don't blame you at all there...
Most smiths I know of work on Remington ,or Winchester,but not Browning.
And there's reasons for it.. laugh

I recall, about a year ago or so, Mickey Coleman posted that he took on a Browning rebarrel for a customer and stated, after it was done, that he'd never work on one again..

I can't remember exactly why, but I remember LMAO at the time..

Hope you find the right guy for your job..

Posted By: Lansend Re: Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/18/15
I had Hill Country Rifles rebarrel, restock and 'accurize' my A Bolt a few years ago. Real happy with it.
Thanks for all the info guys.
Posted By: Jkob Re: Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/24/15
Pretty straight forward actually, the hardest parts are getting the old barrel off and the metric threads; most guys don't want anything to do with metric. Give me a call, I have done them before.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/24/15
FWIW,
I read once upon a time (very likely here somewhere) that you have to heat the receiver just a little to break loose the 'loctite' that they use on the threads. After that, it's just like anything else.
I've read the horror stories (including Mr. Coleman's)on here and elsewhere, but I've also read that heating the threads will cure the issue, real eezy-peezy like.
No personal experience whatsoever here (outside of the fact that I love my A-Bolt), just what I read on the inter-web.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/24/15
I've rebarreled a couple. After you get the old barrel off it isn't too big a deal. Sometimes the factory barrels are almost impossible to remove and all the SS ones I've done have had some type of thread locker on them for some reason. They are a really fine thread compared to normal barrel tenons, 24 or 28 tpi IIRC.

First 6.5 Creedmoor I did was a SS Abolt rebarreled from a 22/250. Guy single feeds it due to the short mag box but it shoots very well.
Browning wont even rebarrel, they just say get another one.
I recently had a NightOwl Custom Browning ABolt... they do nice work.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7367740/Re:_Browning_A_Bolt_Rebarrel_A#Post7367740
Posted By: Dayton Re: Browning A Bolt Gunsmith ? - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by plafleur
Anyone know a reputable gunsmith that will work on Browning A Bolts? I'm looking to cut down barrel length and recrown or rebarrel. Thanks.

Try Eddie Fosnaugh, campfire name eddief.

http://fosnaughcustoms.com/index.html
© 24hourcampfire