Home
Posted By: john843 custom on a Sako action - 08/30/15
I've decided to put my first custom together after all these years and have been looking for a suitable Rem 700 or even mod. 7 action to build on. Not a huge Rem. fan these days but figured there is probably more parts available than pretty much anything out there and have had luck with them in the past. When I mentioned what I was wanting to do at my local gun shop the guy pulled out a Sako .473 bolt face barreled action. I don't know what mod. exactly but on top of the .308 lightweight barrel was stamped H&R. It is in excellent shape, deeply blued with a slight purpling on the bolt shroud. It has bolt and trigger but no mag box, spring, or bottom metal. I really like the idea of something a little different than what I own now but was wondering if I would run into problems sourcing anything I'm lacking (price and availability-wise) compared to a Rem. I'm assuming a barrel and stock will be quite easy, but not sure about other parts.
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks, John
Posted By: adam32 Re: custom on a Sako action - 08/31/15
Find out what model it is. There are several Sakos, some are very easy to find parts for, some aren't.
Posted By: john843 Re: custom on a Sako action - 08/31/15
a32, will do. They'll be open tommorrow so I can actually check it out. The guy just held it up briefly while I was on the way out the door and all I determined was that it was a .308 barreled action.

John
Posted By: rembo Re: custom on a Sako action - 08/31/15
Early H&R's may have used the L57 action but most used the L579 action which was later renamed the AII. Stocks are available for these. The other parts may be a challenge to locate.

They have a 1" x 16 tpi barrel thread.

I had my first custom built on an L579 with a PacNor barrel and a McMillan stock. Chambered in 7-08.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: custom on a Sako action - 08/31/15

Dennis Olson can make areal nice rifle starting with Sako L-57 action, a Lilja barrel and a nice piece of Walnut...

![Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mntngoat Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/01/15
Ive done a couple on sako- 75's and A1's

ML
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/01/15
While the Sako's I have had and seen were very well finished they lack features that make them best as a hunting rifle.

The Sako lacks CRF (controlled round feed) and a decent safety. I much prefer a safety such as the old M70's have.

Posted By: 805 Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/01/15
John

What cartridge are you thinking of for this build?
Posted By: john843 Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/01/15
7MM08 and was able to confirm that it is a L579 action.

John
Posted By: john843 Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/01/15
Also noticed that the top of the action is smooth and rounded and will accept regular scope mounts as opposed to the Sako receivers with the ridge down the middle that takes what I presume is a proprietery mount.

John
Posted By: shrapnel Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/01/15
Originally Posted by john843
Also noticed that the top of the action is smooth and rounded and will accept regular scope mounts as opposed to the Sako receivers with the ridge down the middle that takes what I presume is a proprietery mount.

John

Actually the tapered dovetail that Sako uses is easy to get rings/bases for and solid...
shrapnel, was that your 6mm or swift?? Fine looking rifle.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/01/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
shrapnel, was that your 6mm or swift?? Fine looking rifle.

It is the Swift, this picture shows both and both were made with L-57 Sako actions...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RDFinn Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/01/15
Those are sharp looking rifles Shrapnel. Do you know what model Sako action was used on those Magnum Research Mountain Eagle rifles ? They had receiver contours like the 700.
Posted By: adam32 Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/02/15
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Those are sharp looking rifles Shrapnel. Do you know what model Sako action was used on those Magnum Research Mountain Eagle rifles ? They had receiver contours like the 700.

They use an L691 and they were made for MRI to accept Rem 700 bases.
Posted By: jeffpie Re: custom on a Sako action - 09/03/15
MRI also made a limited edition varmit rifle ,in two choices 222rem or 223 rem,in short action of course,called the company talked to the Production Manager and he said they we're getting 1/4 moa @100yds with premium federal ammunition , so I bought one in 223 and it's Everything he said n more , 26 inch medium/heavy/ ss/flutted /cut-rifled/1-14 twist Krieger bbl sitting in a H/S precision stock drop floor plate . For the record Sakos are way above the normal action for Precision rifle builds ,Treat yourself & Enjoy !!!
© 24hourcampfire