Home
Posted By: nimrodtracy Question for barrel speed? - 08/31/15
The last custom I had was a 257 ackley on a 700 sa and a 24" lilja barrel. At the time we were told lilja makes some "fast barrels" and with the hornady 120 HP and 205 SG powder we got a max load of 3150 fps.

Who has the reputation for "fast barrels' now, is it still lilja or some other customs barrel makers?

Tracy
Broughton 5c are known to be fast barrels.
Originally Posted by haverluk
Broughton 5c are known to be fast barrels.

Yes, fewer lands and grooves can make for a faster barrel. With everything being the same (fewer lands and grooves/the same teist) what other barrels are fast?
There is an ongoing thread about this subject. Frank Green from Bartlein has some good info on the various types of rifling - not specific barrels but rifling/grooves and so on and how they perform and pros/cons of each. Its a pretty good read IMHO.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...3-curious-about-different-rifling-styles
Fewer lands and grooves make a faster barrel? Wow!
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Question for barrel speed? - 08/31/15
I read somewhere that Jarrett makes barrels that are "tight" as he believes that contributes to accuracy. Consequently they are slower. Perhaps "looser" barrels are faster....?
From 6mmbr.com: Tests show that, with the 80-90gr bullets, a 1:10 or 1:12 barrel will give you as much as 80fps more velocity than a 1:8 barrel, shooting the exact same loads. Fast twist (1:8) barrels have more drag and friction, which can slow the bullet down. Ideally you want to use the slowest twist rate possible that will stabilize the bullet you choose to shoot.

A old friend that did custom loads for a living told me that tighter twist increases pressure and you would get more velocity. and when you reduce the twist you get less velocity when using the same load. He used two oehler 33 chronograph together for years.

But you would also think if you had a max load then reducing the twist would mean you could increasing the powder load and then get more velocity?
Now you are attributing it to twist. I thought this thread was about lands and grooves? You can take 2 barrels from the same barrelmaker, same lot, same lands and grooves, and the velocity will be different.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Question for barrel speed? - 09/01/15
Speed is irrelevant.

dave
Dave,
You are pretty much correct.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Now you are attributing it to twist. I thought this thread was about lands and grooves? You can take 2 barrels from the same barrelmaker, same lot, same lands and grooves, and the velocity will be different.

The post is about "fast barrels" I think its ok to talk about twist sence it does and can afect velocity, no big deal

Tracy
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Speed is irrelevant.

dave

So we should all shoot 30/30's? I for one like everyone elce will always try to safley get the most speed along with all the accuaracy that I can. And in long range varment hunting it can make a drifrence
Posted By: mathman Re: Question for barrel speed? - 09/01/15
One time I sat down and did the calculation for how much energy was tied up in the angular velocity of a bullet compared to the linear velocity component. To facilitate things I used an idealized shape whose angular moment of inertia wasn't too hard to calculate, and the shape would actually overestimate the spin component of the energy compared to that of a regular bullet.

Nevertheless, the angular velocity component was a quite small percentage of the kinetic energy, and the difference because of different twists was not nearly enough to explain the velocity claims of slow twist proponents.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Question for barrel speed? - 09/01/15
mathman,

You know math is science and science is fact and facts don't do well here. Most of us use ignorant prejudice for our decisions.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Question for barrel speed? - 09/01/15
Speed differences depends on the individual barrel.....
My 6 groove 8" twist 7mm-08AI shoots the same 7mm-08 load ~160fps faster than the previous barrel shot the identical load. New barrel is 1" longer than the old barrel.

David
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Speed differences depends on the individual barrel.....

Yes that goes without saying, and my question is pertaining to coustom barrel builders, but if twists and number of lands and groves has some efect then that is good also

Originally Posted by Canazes9
My 6 groove 8" twist 7mm-08AI shoots the same 7mm-08 load ~160fps faster than the previous barrel shot the identical load. New barrel is 1" longer than the old barrel.

David

What was the twist of the old barrel and was it 7mm-08 or AI chamber?
I don't want to bring up any statistical burden of proof, but I would have to see a statistical difference between barrels when using the exact same components. I'm sure there's some difference, but I would guess the difference is less when using the same components.

I've only had 3 30-06 barrels so far (one more on the way) and they've all been pretty darn similar, but I'm using the same reamer and components. And if they are 20 fps different, it doesn't matter.

And when it comes down to it, less velocity means less pressure. I almost don't load to powder weight anymore, I load to a velocity. I've never had pressure problems unless my chrono says I'm over a velocity max. A slow barrel is slow, until you put more powder in the case.

David

Was the 7-08 barrel a factory barrel, and the 7-08 AI barrel an aftermarket barrel?
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

David

Was the 7-08 barrel a factory barrel, and the 7-08 AI barrel an aftermarket barrel?

Old barrel was a factory Kimber 9" twist 7mm-08, new barrel is an 8" twist Hart in 7mm-08AI. The new barrel is throated for the 150 Scenar at mag length, the old barrel was throated much longer...

David
Posted By: Boxer Re: Question for barrel speed? - 09/01/15
Funny schit here,sprinkled through the Thread!

There are NO "slow" barrels,or "fast" barrels. There...I fhuqking said it. What there IS,are barrels of greatly varying internal dimensioning,that make different amounts of pressure(speed),at a given powder charge.

Now if you are FORCED by some cruel twist of fate,to suffer some off the shelf Fodder,then yes of COURSE,not all barrels are the same(or close). A typical OEM spout,will be both generous in chamber dimensions,throat dimensions AND bore dimensions,so expanding gasses will simply route the path of least reistance and "grant" the least velocity. This of course assuming jacketed boolits and not Cave Man speeds,with soft cast obturations...where the differences unhinge in their lineal extrapolations. Hint.

To hedge a bet in the Suffering Factory Fodder World,it may be prudent to minimize said tolerances,so as to eek the "free" speed. Long story short,a tighter gas seal,will lend more momentum to the projectile(ANY projectile).

Now rest ASSURED,that I getta great big kick outta Texans and their innate Dumbfhuqkery,but they've done flown the coop on this correlation of "experience","knowledge" and "results".

"Twist drag"?!? I'm fhuqking crying,I'm laffin' sooooooooooo hard!!!

These poor,poor STUPID fhuqks and their relentless Imaginations and Pretend. WOW!!!

Did some STUPID fhuqking Texan TRY to equate a velocity loss,as reflected by twist rate? Re-WOW!!!. A gain twist would tip her plum offa her high heels in Anticipation. Laffin'! Then add muzzle constriction to the equation and she'd be touting the "virtues" of a Light Saber. I'm cryin'!!!!!!!

Anywhoooooo...let's use gravity and touch base(Reality).

Now as per your 7-08 to 7-08AI transformation,you've TOTALLY erased the OWM gas seal and replaced it with Custom. If I EVER had an OEM spout,that made more velocity(pressure) than a Custom,I'd be looking to kick someone's ass,because they dropped ALL the balls. The bore would be SUSPECT in it's dimensioning,post haste(and I mean a FHUQK of a lot quicker than that). The chamber dimensions would HAVE to been crafted in clay and the throat a gawwwdamned fhuqking polevault,even in Linda Lovelace's head. HINT.

So what you received,is that which IS expected...a better gas seal(amongst other obvious attributes).

Build a short throat 300Wby and gun some of Roy's schit,for a REAL "advantage".

Laffin'!

GOOD talk.
Originally Posted by Boxer

There are NO "slow" barrels,or "fast" barrels. There...I fhuqking said it. What there IS,are barrels of greatly varying internal dimensioning,that make different amounts of pressure(speed),at a given powder charge.

Now if you are FORCED by some cruel twist of fate,to suffer some off the shelf Fodder,then yes of COURSE,not all barrels are the same(or close). A typical OEM spout,will be both generous in chamber dimensions,throat dimensions AND bore dimensions,so expanding gasses will simply route the path of least reistance and "grant" the least velocity. This of course assuming jacketed boolits and not Cave Man speeds,with soft cast obturations...where the differences unhinge in their lineal extrapolations. Hint.

To hedge a bet in the Suffering Factory Fodder World,it may be prudent to minimize said tolerances,so as to eek the "free" speed. Long story short,a tighter gas seal,will lend more momentum to the projectile(ANY projectile).

Now rest ASSURED,that I getta great big kick outta Texans and their innate Dumbfhuqkery,but they've done flown the coop on this correlation of "experience","knowledge" and "results".

These poor,poor STUPID fhuqks and their relentless Imaginations and Pretend. WOW!!!

Did some STUPID fhuqking Texan TRY to equate a velocity loss,as reflected by twist rate? Re-WOW!!!. A gain twist would tip her plum offa her high heels in Anticipation. Laffin'! Then add muzzle constriction to the equation and she'd be touting the "virtues" of a Light Saber. I'm cryin'!!!!!!!

Now as per your 7-08 to 7-08AI transformation,you've TOTALLY erased the OWM gas seal and replaced it with Custom. If I EVER had an OEM spout,that made more velocity(pressure) than a Custom,I'd be looking to kick someone's ass,because they dropped ALL the balls. The bore would be SUSPECT in it's dimensioning,post haste(and I mean a FHUQK of a lot quicker than that). The chamber dimensions would HAVE to been crafted in clay and the throat a gawwwdamned fhuqking polevault,even in Linda Lovelace's head. HINT.

So what you received,is that which IS expected...a better gas seal(amongst other obvious attributes).

Laffin'!

GOOD talk.

Larry,

Agreed on all points - it wasn't a surprise to me....

David

Laffin'!

GOOD talk.

I see your a easily amused naysayer, some people are enjoying this post and they have respect to the posters location and simple question, thanks for your input
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy

Laffin'!

GOOD talk.

I see your a easley amused naysayer, some people are enjoying this post and they have respect to the posters location and simple question, thanks for your input

Cheer up...some folks can even spell "easily",but you ain't one of 'em.

GREAT time to shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same.

Hint.

Thank me later.

Laughing!..............

Got to wonder where all the trolls and gramer natzi come from when a guys is trying to get some info? I guess just another easily self amused dumbass naysayer.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Question for barrel speed? - 09/02/15
I am talking about custom barrels......
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Question for barrel speed? - 09/02/15
So, up to this point, it's safe to say that there isn't any such thing as a "fast barrel" by any maker, at least not deliberately.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
So, up to this point, it's safe to say that there isn't any such thing as a "fast barrel" by any maker, at least not deliberately.

There are makers that have a reputation for having faster barrels like the Broughton 5c and Lilja and could be more as to why I did this post
© 24hourcampfire