Home
I'm looking to order a 4.5 contour tube from Krieger, as this is supposedly the lightest they'll go in SS, and since I've never had one or played with one, I'd like to see some pics first to make sure it'll be a good fit for its intended use!

Thanks!
Here is mine. the contour was turned down just a little after the shank. It's still a heavy barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks TC. What that a 4.5C turned down after the shank, or a 5C turned down to approximate a 4.5?
Keep 'em coming, boys!

Doesn't seem to be a lot of 4.5's floating around out there...
Jordan a 4.5 is about right for a 375 H&H. What caliber are you building or did I miss that?

This a LR rifle?
Bob,

PM inbound!
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Thanks TC. What that a 4.5C turned down after the shank, or a 5C turned down to approximate a 4.5?

It's a 4.5 contour turned down just a little about an inch past the action. You can see it in the bottom picture. It looks like a military step down. This was done for possible scope clearance issues.
Gotcha. Thanks!

What's the length on that barrel?
27". It's chambered in .264WM and built for sitting in a shooting house to snipe deer across a bean field. It's worked really well for that task.
Going to give the chassis route a try on this one...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The rifle now sits in a Magpul CTR stock instead of the MDT Skeleton stock, and the rifle balances perfectly with the #4.5 contour 26" barrel. Weight is an even 11.5 lbs with scope and bipod attached. Cerakote or Armacote will be next, and will likely be the finishing touch.

[Linked Image]
That is a bad ass looking rifle! grin
Thanks, Bob. Hopefully it shoots as bad (err...good?) as it looks! The next few days should tell the story.
What action is that ?
Trued R700 L/A with PTG 1-piece spiral fluted bolt, Sako extractor.
Jordan, she looks good! Did I miss what she's chambered in?
Does anyone know if a Bartlein #3 is the same contour as the Krieger #4.5 contour ? They look close can't find any specs on the 4.5 contour.
I'm digging the Mormon Thunder, Jordan! laugh

Tanner
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'm digging the Mormon Thunder, Jordan! laugh

Tanner

laugh laugh

Jordan, that's a SWEET rifle!
Joel,

Chambered in 7WSM and throated for the 195 Bergers.

Lone wolf,

Found this "A Krieger #4.5 is a #5 at the neck(6" from the breech end) which is .900" and tapers to a #4 at the muzzle which is .670" at 26 inches".
Joel

Lone wolf,

Found this "A Krieger #4.5 is a #5 at the neck(6" from the breech end) which is .900" and tapers to a #4 at the muzzle which is .670" at 26 inches".

Thanks!
Joel,

Chambered in 7WSM and throated for the 195 Bergers.

Lone wolf,

A piece of information also worth noting, is that Krieger wants a minimum .900" dimension(Krieger #5) at the neck(6" from the breech) on 7mm stainless barrels. That is an unfluted barrel. Krieger also offers fluting, of which they cut their flutes 0.050" deep on their blanks.

If a person orders a stainless #4.5 contour 7mm barrel with flutes direct from Krieger, where Krieger does the fluting, Krieger will bump that .900" neck(6" from the breech) dimension up to 1.000." Per their policy, after flutes are cut for a total of .100" of barrel material removed, they are still retaining that .900" dimension.

A stainless fluted Krieger #4.5 in 7mm will be 1.000" (6" from the breech) and a #4 at the muzzle which measures .670" at 26 inches.
First group of 4 shots after bore sighting and finding pressure ran right around 0.8 MOA. Got a few loaded up to dial in seating depth, and we'll be there.

[Linked Image]
Cherry popped...

Rattled in to 100 yards, broadside shot, through both shoulders, 195 Berger Hybrid at MV of 2850 fps, ran 40 yards and collapsed. Not a single drop of blood. Bullet left the signature Berger pinhole entrance, penetrated both shoulders, destroyed lungs, bounced off offside hide and was found in offside shoulder. Will weigh remaining bullet weight in the morning after I clean it up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Entrance hole in the hide, and the entry side rib cage...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Jordan,

I have 4.5, 5, and #6 Kreigers. The #5 is a perfect contour from them.
© 24hourcampfire