Home
Posted By: BobinNH This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
I do love SS/synthetic rifles but have to admit.....this thing sort of tugs at you. smile

Pretty danged nice!

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...by-heilmann-ottmarr.cfm?gun_id=100611553
Posted By: handwerk Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
yep Bob, that's a beauty. With that kinda figure in the wood it remained pretty lightweight, a rarity. So you would have bought it had it been a model 70!?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
handwerk : It was already tagged "sold" when I bumped into it last night.

I am pretty sure that was a good thing.... smile

Darned nice custom by two top craftsmen.

I like mausers.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
WOW!
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
Nice rifle by two of the best.

Thanks for posting this Bob
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
Gorgeous...
Posted By: pal Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
Only 6 lbs 9 oz! I didn't think you could get one down to that weight.
Doug no problem. Figured some folks would like it. I sure do....even if it is an "old school" custom. smile

Ottmar was one of the best.

pal I can't say for sure, but think that Mauser has been cut in two,shortened, and put back together for the 7/08. Mauser experts can chime i but it looks "short" in the photos. Only short action Mauser I'm aware of is a Kurtz,and I think they would say that in the description, if it were.
Posted By: sidepass Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
Beautiful rifle there.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/04/15
Drool worthy
I'd like to get my grubby mitts on it..... smile
Posted By: doubletap Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd like to get my grubby mitts on it..... smile

There are gunsmiths around who could duplicate that for you. You might have to up your billing rate though. smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
DT: By quite a bit. smile

Posted By: StoneCutter Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
Dang, that guys right up the road from me. It's a beautiful rifle, but $9000.00. It's a little out of my league.
StoneCutter $9k for a rifle is a lot of moola. eek

Just looked at the pictures on Hendershot's web site. I don't know Mausers really well but it seems to be some variety of small ring Mauser. I take it back it might not be shortened. Maybe some Mauser expert could chime in?

At any rate the rifle is really plush. Lots of metal work and the stock work is fabulous! I doubt that rifle could be duplicated today for $9k,as whacky as that seems.

I owned a Burgess/Ottmar Mauser. Wish I never sold it LOL!
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
Work of art.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
It says Kurz in the adv. I don't think the Kurz were called commercial and it does have the thumb cut.
Heilmann and Ottmar were as good as you will ever find.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
That rifle belongs to a world in relation to which I've only been a "window licker". I do admire the work of skilled and passionate craftsmen.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
It says Kurz in the adv. I don't think the Kurz were called commercial and it does have the thumb cut.
Heilmann and Ottmar were as good as you will ever find.

Thanks Butch. I missed that. Too busy drooling I guess. smile
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
Kurz receivers are very rare. I've seen the receivers go from $3500-$5000. A top stock carver and a nice blank is about $5000 or more. Now you can start on the metal work. As I posted, the 2 craftsmen are at the top. Maurice is not around, so you want get one of his stocks.
Yeah, I know your buddy would cut you a lot better deal, but!
I think, in the flesh, I have seen one Kurz. It was on a Hoffman rifle, years ago,and in 250-3000.

I have not priced a rifle like that, built from scratch at todays prices but bet you are spot on. I doubt that rifle could be replaced for $9k. Ottmar rifles are hard to come by,and he was top shelf. The 300 Win Mag I had was on a 1909 Argentine Mauser with all metal by Tom Burgess. It may have been the nicest rifle of any sort I have ever owned.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
It is a gorgeous rifle, and a great weight.

A couple of things I wouldn't have chosen if I had ordered it, part of why selling a custom rifle is so tricky. Very few short action chamberings interest me. And the checkering pattern, though well done, doesn't draw me in.

Don't get me wrong, I would hunt with it. I just don't know that I would pay $9K for it. I wouldn't buy a white Porsche 911 Turbo either.
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
You are tougher than I am. I bought a really pretty, medium action, custom Sako a few years ago. The wood and workmanship isn't up to that level, but it's well above the $1500 factory rifle range.
Can't make myself hunt it. Too afraid of dropping/falling with it.
Maybe someday I'll hunt it under nicer conditions. E
Posted By: rockdoc Re: This Is Nice.... - 10/05/15
That was cheap. Top artisans work at that price!

Lovely rifle. Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Chris
© 24hourcampfire