Home
I have always wanted a .264 Win Mag. This is 1960's Custom rifle built on an FN Supreme action, not a clue about who built the rifle or maple stock. 24" barrel. Original Bushnell 3-9X scope on Weaver pivot mounts. Mounts were trashed by someone that used a pocket knife to tighten the screws (on a hunt??). I like the inlay in the stock and stock design that looks like the rifles I fondled as a jr. rifle team member in the 1960's. Serial numbers on FN actions are very inconsistent and no help dating the rifle except that FN stopped building the action in 1972. Great rifle to shoot off hand and accurate to boot. Despite all the trash out there about the .264 being a barrel burner, the throat and bore are fine in this rifle. Almost 95% of the bluing left and the stock has a few dings. Has an old Timney trigger and a fully bedded stock.

[Linked Image]
Nice rifle.

Gonna use it on deer in Texas?
that's the plan and New Mexico next year.
Great!

Good luck deer hunting this year in Texas and a double dose of good luck next year here in New Mexico for deer. wink
Wow! I killed my first deer with a borrowed 264 mag that looked exactly like that one in Georgia back in 1986. De ja vu here. How did you come across that rifle?

I had a photo of me and that doe with the rifle but haven't seen it in twenty years. Doubt it is the same rifle but it is a dead ringer, down to the maple ,diamond inlay on the side and cheekpiece. Crazy
Ahlmans in Morristown, Minnesota used to build rifles like that in the 70's.
They also made some with full length Mannlicher stocks which I liked.
I have one in 25-06 and my friend had one in 300 Win Mag.
Enjoy your rifle it is a beauty.
whelennut
Originally Posted by RHutch
Wow! I killed my first deer with a borrowed 264 mag that looked exactly like that one in Georgia back in 1986. De ja vu here. How did you come across that rifle?

I had a photo of me and that doe with the rifle but haven't seen it in twenty years. Doubt it is the same rifle but it is a dead ringer, down to the maple ,diamond inlay on the side and cheekpiece. Crazy

It was at Gander Mountain in Round Rock TX. They got the rifle from another store. I think the caliber and stock scared off the guys looking at it.
I had Winchester Model 70 Westerner in the late 60's/early 70's. Great rifle-shot several foxes, coyotes, and deer and antelope with it, some at over 300 yds. Eventually restocked it-Royal Arms Monte Carlo, before selling it. Great cartridge-enjoy it!

Clarence
Might be a Winslo Arms Co. rifle or a copy of one. Each rifle was a one off so there is a lot of variation. The Regal grade is pretty futuristic looking.
Tex, except for the pistol grip, that looks like a lot of rifles that were built by Grice's Gun Shop of Clearfield, Pa. Nice rifle and caliber.
No flies on the 264WM or the FN action. I prefer my 264's with a 26" or longer barrel though. Don't get the barrel too hot and your OK for 1200 rounds hunting accuracy.
Thanks Cowboy,
Have thought about a new barrel down the road, agreed about the 26" length. Usually shoot 3-5 rounds and let her cool down.
Some where there was some "tape on" thermometers out there. I bought 4 of them and have used 2, but I forget where I got them. This "heat tape" changes color as your barrel heats up. Even though my 264 has a 30" heavy fluted barrel, I don't let the tape (in front of the chamber) get much past 130*. That number is on the conservative side, you could probably go to 170* and be OK. If you can't find a source for the tape the "hand" rule will apply. (If you can't keep your hand on the barrel longer than 3 seconds - let it cool)
I love the 264 Win Mag and will be using mine this coming Sat for the first day of Virginia Gun Season. Nice rifle you have but if mine the roll over cheek piece would go.
I have a handheld infrared thermometer that I take to the range. I agree on the max temp. Barrel temp on this rifle was about 135 after 5 rounds. Opened the bolt, set the rifle on the ground muzzle up and blew air through the bore. It cooled off to about 98 degrees (ambient air temp) in about 10 mins. Checking barrel temps has been an education for me.
Here's what I use
http://www.neconos.com/item/BAR-L-TEMPERATURE-STRIPS-55
or
https://www.all4shooters.com/en/home/technics/2013-articles/Bar-L-Strips-barrel-thermometer-strips/

I used mine this year for a doe antelope
[Linked Image]
A couple of my .264s. Probably my favorite cartridge.

[Linked Image]
thanks for links, will have to try a couple.
very nice! who made the rifle on the bottom?
Made by Sako. Branded Colt.
It is very similar in appearance to a Sako Super Deluxe. It was built in 1963, in Finland.
The Model 70 was built in 1962.
If ya need dies - let me know I have a new set of Bonanza dies for the 264WM
That Sako is one of the best IMHO. My wife shoots a similar Sako in .308 made about the same time in 1962. Well made solid rifle that shoots straight. Beautiful rifle BTW
© 24hourcampfire