Home
Posted By: 163bc Dakota 76 question - 02/12/16
I'm looking at buying a used Dakota Model 76. I have heard that Dakota had a few years when the guns they were turning out were not up to expected quality or accuracy standards??

I'm looking hard at one made in 1994.

Thoughts on 1994 Dakota vs today's rifles.

Thanks in advance. 163bc
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/12/16
Buy it!

Mine was made in early 1995 and it has shot whatever I wanted to use. At that time Dakota used Shilen barrels IIRC.

Two pics of it. Dakota M 76 7mm Dakota and a Leupold 4.5-14x.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: VernAK Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/12/16
I bought a 243 in 93 and have shot it out twice....rebarreled again and doing great.
Posted By: HEB330 Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/12/16
B-U-Y I-T A-S-A-P! Don and Ward were putting out incredible rifles at that time.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/15/16
VernAK who did the re-barreling for you? I would like to re-barrel one with little to no stock work if possible.
Posted By: efw Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/15/16
IIRC that was at a time when they were kicking out some quality workmanship; I'd be all over that.

I've always thought those older Dakotas to be the pinnacle of the factory hunting rifle.

I hope we can hear details, see pics, & hear a range report soon!
Posted By: petr Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/16/16
Share some details.

Some vintages of rifles cannot ever be replaced, or the quality touch replicated. I have learned that lesson the hard way.

Don may have worked on this himself.

I would snag this one.

Posted By: abilene Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/16/16
So now you all have my curiosity up on this topic. What is considered a early Dakota 76? Up to serial number? One Don may have worked on himself?

Thanks
Posted By: petr Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/16/16
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/12/17/dakota-rifles-american-best/

so, yes, there is a fine chance that that rifle received attention from two guys just starting dakota and creating some epic rifles.
Posted By: Brian Re: Dakota 76 question - 02/20/16
having owned a 280 and a 220 swift get that dakota! you wont be dissapointed
© 24hourcampfire