Home
Posted By: mtnman1 Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Finally finished the custom I've been wanting to put together for quite some time. Full tilt Mark Penrod 7mm Remington Mag in a pre-64 with a Legend Stock. Should do for just about anything in NA. Will try to get the specs up later.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
That'll do. Nice job!
Posted By: mathman Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
First class rig.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Penrod is a first class gunsmith, none better.
Posted By: waterbug Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
What a nice rifle! His workmanship is first class.
Posted By: Whitebird Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Hard to find a better smith.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Congrats!! From what I can see looks 1st class - be sure to post up a few more pics. Liking the stock, just ordered that color combo with the red pad.
Posted By: TDN Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Gorgeous!
Posted By: SKane Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Congrats on your new rifle.
I'll bet that one functions like buttah!
Posted By: Sendero Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Very nice!
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
This started as a gunshow acquisition from several years ago that turned out to have extra and poorly drilled  holes in the rear bridge under the bases when I got it home. Fixing these holes happens to be one of Mark's specialties and the action work is pure perfection now. The action was completely trued, the bolt and safety timed, raceways cleaned up, trigger job etc. I think the only thing he didn't do was recut the lettering on the action. Barrel is an older #4 contour Mike Rock barrel that I've had since back in the days when Mike was still there. 8.6 twist if I recall correctly. Mark recontoured it just slightly to clean/slick it up and take the lumps out. Chamber was cut based on Mark's recommendations and spec'ed for the 180 VLDs I want to run. Since we had lots of room in the mag box Mark was able to optimize the chamber with the bullets seated well out. Mark also cut a Wilson seating die blank to match the chamber for me.  Everything was ceracoated with a satin midnight blue. Stock is an Echols legend edge fill bedded with flush cups and a red pachmayr pad and then sent back to McMillan for paint. Talleys and a Schmidt 3x12 top it off. Can't wait to get it out and try it.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Beautiful rifle. I'm sure it will shoot as good as it looks. It's a pre 64, so I have no doubt it will function for the life of the owner....
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Pure modern classic.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/15/16
Nice rifle!
Posted By: pointer Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/16/16
Very nice! Congrats!
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/16/16
My only complaint is that we need more pictures!

Very nice!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/16/16
Very nice rifle!
Posted By: utah708 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/16/16
I have as close to the twin of that rifle that a lefty will ever have...

[Linked Image]

A classic action, barreled and modified by Penrod, in a Legend Edge, in a long throated 7 Rem mag. I think my barrel contour might be a little different, however.

[Linked Image]

I also had the tang reshaped and the bolt release built up and checkered.

[Linked Image]

It has become my go-to rifle over the past several years, so I expect yours will be as well.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/16/16
Two nice 7mm mags......
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/17/16
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Two nice 7mm mags......

I agree. spectacular hunting rifles.
Posted By: scotts94_z28 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/17/16
Awesome rifle really makes me consider keeping my 1955 model 70, ordering an Echols Legend, and sending it off to have something similar done.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/17/16
Beautifully put together rifle there. My M70 300 H&H/ echols stock is one of my favorite rifles...

enjoy!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/17/16
I'd probably have to try a 180 Scenar in that with H1000.
Posted By: Jmbrown Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 03/22/16
Nice rifle! I'm sending a rifle to Mark this afternoon for a new barrel. I've never used him before but he did the original barrel and metalwork on this rifle back in the 80's, and I've not been able to find anyone that has not been pleased with his work and he seems like a great guy from talking to him on the phone.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 04/24/16
I thought I would bump this back to the top with another similar Penrod built 7mm that I own. This one is a 280 Rem. It's due for a paint touch up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 04/24/16
pathfinder. That is one of the nicest left handed rifles I've ever seen.
Posted By: RickF Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 04/24/16
Pathfinder loves to hand that one to me. grin

Being left-handed, he doesn't have the pre-64 option that most of us do. However, that Penrod actioned rifle is smoother than any pre-64 I have ever owned with the exception of my 1954-action Tommy Burgess metal 270. It is just as smooth as my Burgess.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 04/24/16
Too bad, pathfinder can't shoot a right handed rifle like I can wink . Nonetheless, a damn nice lefty... I'd use that one in a heartbeat!!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Penrod Pre-64 - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
pathfinder. That is one of the nicest left handed rifles I've ever seen.

I heartily concur!
© 24hourcampfire