Home
Posted By: ChetAF Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
I heard about Al Biesen's passing and thought I would start a thread where we could post photos and or stories of the man who was one of the most well known and influential gunmakers of the twentieth century.

I first met Al back in the late 90's. Over the next 20 years, I visited his shop several times and purchased four or so rifles from him. He was always a perfect gentleman and patiently answered my questions about rifles and his relationship with Jack O'Connor. He was one of those guys who would drop what he was doing and give you the full tour of the basement gunshop where so many classics had been built.

I can remember the smell of the shop, a combination of walnut shavings, machine oil and wood finish. I can picture the glass cases in the entry way where he always had a rifle or two that he had finished up as well as some of his own rifles that dated back to his youth in Wisconsin.

The last time I was there, the ravages of time and dementia had taken it's toll, but he was still in the shop with Roger and Paula and he took the time to pose for a photo with me and one of the rifles he had built. That is a treasured memory of a great man that did what he did very well for a very long time. I am sure that he is already sharing a fire with Jack and Tom Burgess and they are planning a new rifle for an upcoming sheep hunt.

The following photos are of my Jack O'Connor replica that Al and Roger built for me using a pristine M70 Featherweight and an old stick of true French walnut that had been in the shop for a few decades.

I think I will get it out of the safe this weekend, take it to the range, and get it ready for a hunt this fall, just as Al would have wanted it.

Godspeed Al!

Best,

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: RinB Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
I was 17 when I first saw a Biesen rifle. It was a M70 .270. What else could it have been? It was resting in the corner of a very modest home in Swan Valley Idaho.

It was owned by a game warden and was his primary hunting rifle. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. It shocked my senses about as much as the first time I got my hands on a girl's bare naked breast. Will never forget either!

Within a year I made a trip to Sinto street in Spokane. My life was changed forever. Al was very gracious with the questions asked by an 18 year old.

His work influenced all the builders of his era and that influence continues thru today. Sadly, most of today's "custom" rifles are products of assemblers rather than craftsmen. Not his. He did everything except make the action and the barrel. He made the stock, the hardware, did the metalwork, and then finished both. Then he sent them to hunters who carried them to far places.

Once a pal went on a stone sheet hunt. All four hunters were pack Biesen rifles chambered for the 270. What more can be said?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
R.I.P Al Biesen.
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
That's a beautiful rifle, Chet. Thanks for sharing it, and your memories of the late Mr. Biesen (R.I.P.).
Posted By: p3t3rsn Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
Despite a heck of a lot of searching, I have yet to have the good fortune to own an Al Biesen rifle. One day I will.

Gorgeous rifle Chet.
Posted By: muddy22 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
Met him once in the early 70s when I shot small bore at ewsc. Muddy
Posted By: GF1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
Well said, Chet. The pair of Al and Roger Biesen rifles I have will remain with me, and the last, a 300 Win Mag on a Model 70 action in a group photo with the makers and me is a treasured memento.

[Linked Image]

I'll never forget Al's musings and stories of his long relationship with Jack O'Connor. On the last such visit, he made us tea.

RIP Al, you'll not be forgotten.

Posted By: mmgravy Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
The custom gun world lost a great one with Al's passing....

I have always loved the looks of a Biesen rifle because I have always liked wood stocks and blued metal and Al was a true master of the art. That rifle of yours Chet is a beautiful piece to be treasured forever. And as Al wanted, his rifles were made to be used.....

He will be happy....
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
Originally Posted by GF1
Well said, Chet. The pair of Al and Roger Biesen rifles I have will remain with me, and the last, a 300 Win Mag on a Model 70 action in a group photo with the makers and me is a treasured memento.

[Linked Image]

I'll never forget Al's musings and stories of his long relationship with Jack O'Connor. On the last such visit, he made us tea.

RIP Al, you'll not be forgotten.

That is a beautiful rifle Blair. You should bring it to elk camp and we will have an all Biesen elk hunt.

Best,

Chet
Posted By: irfubar Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
I have been an Al Biesen, J.O.C. fan for as long as I can remember.
Al is one of the greats and with his passing so goes an era.

Both of those guys inspired an influenced my first build.
To me they epitomize what a custom classic should be.

Her is a pic of my first custom. 270 of course with fleur-de lis checkering etc...

Good thread, thanks ChetAF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
Not much to say other than RIP Al

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A true master of the craft......RIP..Al
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/22/16
We've had some fine craftsmen in this area, AL was a master among masters.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/23/16
One of the true Master's. May he Rest in Honored Peace.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/23/16
http://www.riplingerfuneralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=3672863&fh_id=11711
Posted By: handwerk Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/23/16
Thanks for the posts...great stuff.
Posted By: vixen Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/23/16
Is the floorplate on the rifle pictured made by Al?
Posted By: Whitebird Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/23/16
RIP Al. Great man, with incredible talent.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/23/16
R.I.P. to a true craftsman and artist.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/25/16
Yes, take it out and HUNT it, no better memorial than that.
Posted By: EdM Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/25/16
A legend no doubt which always left me puzzled as to way his rifles can be found on the used market for less than other less notables?
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Yes, take it out and HUNT it, no better memorial than that.
. Amen. And this is a fine pictorial tribute to Al's memory. Thank goodness Roger and Paula are there to carry on.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/27/16
Paula will continue her engraving, but alas, Roger is taking no new work and is retiring.
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 04/27/16
Originally Posted by GF1
Paula will continue her engraving, but alas, Roger is taking no new work and is retiring.

Can't blame him for that. Roger must be in his mid-70's.

I wonder what will happen with the Biesen accessories - grip caps, buttplates, etc.
Posted By: aguyinAK Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/03/16
Not trying to hyjack the thread, but was that fluer de lis pattern a signature of his? I was wondering because I have a gun stocked in a very nice piece of wood with that pattern checkering and good proportions. The only info I got when I purchased it was that the stock was done by a famous smith, but the owner couldn't remember who. RIP to a master craftsman
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/03/16
Al did not invent the fleur-de-leis but did do it quite well. I spent several days with him back in the 70s and he was more than gracious with his time. I had a lot of design questions and found his basic form was Golden Mean derived and really like the short fore ends derived from solid proportions.
Posted By: hanco Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/04/16
I have a 7mm weatherby on a mauser action that Al built. A work of art
Posted By: GF1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/05/16
Originally Posted by aguyinAK
Not trying to hyjack the thread, but was that fluer de lis pattern a signature of his? I was wondering because I have a gun stocked in a very nice piece of wood with that pattern checkering and good proportions. The only info I got when I purchased it was that the stock was done by a famous smith, but the owner couldn't remember who. RIP to a master craftsman

Both Al and Roger stamped their names in the inletting, with rare exception. They also stamped the top of the barrels.

I'll call this basic design Al's signature fleur de lis pattern, which Roger continued using his father's old templates:

[Linked Image]

There are a number of Biesen patterns and variations, including some that were arrowheads instead of fleurs, as well as point patterns. Another distinctive feature is that Biesen checkering is recessed slightly from the surface.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/05/16
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by aguyinAK

Both Al and Roger stamped their names in the inletting, with rare exception. They also stamped the top of the barrels.

I'll call this basic design Al's signature fleur de lis pattern, which Roger continued using his father's old templates:

[Linked Image]

There are a number of Biesen patterns and variations, including some that were arrowheads instead of fleurs, as well as point patterns. Another distinctive feature is that Biesen checkering is recessed slightly from the surface.

besides using the recessed checkering his pistol grip curve and the heavier blunter shape of the point of the comb and flute shape is distinctive.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/05/16
I inherited one of my grandpa's Biesen rifles. It is built on an FN Mauser. It is a 7x57 with a 22" barrel. It still has the 4x Redfield my grandpa put on it. It was built in the late 60s. I think I remember my grandpa telling me that it was O connor's writing that got him thinking about Biesen.

The only thing I've changed is I installed a Tom Burgess safety that I got from D'Arcy.

I've killed a few cow elk, a black bear, and some antelope bucks with it.

My mom can remember her folks loading up the family and driving over the mtn to visit Biesen. I never did get to meet him.

I should get some better pictures of it. It has a trap door buttplate and a skeleton grip cap.

I still have untouched brass from my grandpa's stash.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Cool rifle and story!
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/06/16
Congratulations folks!

Those are some fine looking rifles.

donsm70
Posted By: pointer Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/06/16
Ralphie-

They never gave me a hat... wink
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/06/16
Ralphie, I always admired that 7x57 of yours, very nice indeed. (did not know it was done by Biesen)
Posted By: KimR Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/06/16
My first true custom was a M70 FWT checkered in Biesen#3 pattern bought 50 yrs ago.It is still one of the best I have but it has taken 50yrs to realize how perfect it is.I thought all customs would be this nice,alas few are.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/06/16
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I inherited one of my grandpa's Biesen rifles. It is built on an FN Mauser. It is a 7x57 with a 22" barrel. It still has the 4x Redfield my grandpa put on it. It was built in the late 60s. I think I remember my grandpa telling me that it was O connor's writing that got him thinking about Biesen.

The only thing I've changed is I installed a Tom Burgess safety that I got from D'Arcy.

I've killed a few cow elk, a black bear, and some antelope bucks with it.

My mom can remember her folks loading up the family and driving over the mtn to visit Biesen. I never did get to meet him.

I should get some better pictures of it. It has a trap door buttplate and a skeleton grip cap.

I still have untouched brass from my grandpa's stash.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

great looking rifle and family heirloom! Wow that last antelope is a bruiser!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/06/16
Please post a pic if you can. Thanks!
Originally Posted by KimR
My first true custom was a M70 FWT checkered in Biesen#3 pattern bought 50 yrs ago.It is still one of the best I have but it has taken 50yrs to realize how perfect it is.I thought all customs would be this nice,alas few are.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/07/16
Originally Posted by pointer
Ralphie-

Sorry about that. They said they only gave them out to the top.

Actually Ryan stole it for me.
Posted By: pointer Re: Passing of Al Biesen - 05/09/16
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by pointer
Ralphie-

Sorry about that. They said they only gave them out to the top.

Actually Ryan stole it for me.
Ha! 'Twas a fun place to spend a few years, even if I spent most of it looking down.

Is Ryan still in So. ID? His story about crickets when he was living in NV was priceless.
© 24hourcampfire