Home
Posted By: 12Oclock Recoil Lug - 04/30/16
No doubt you have covered this ground before but my search did not turn it up. Remington 700 action- .300 Win Mag- Shilen barrel- going in an HS Pro Series Sporter stock. I am looking at the .250 PTG recoil lug, as it looks like it will fit that lug slot on the HS without removing stock material. Someone posted on another site that the tapered version requires some stock material removal and the parallel version does not. What has been your experience and which is best IYO? Thanks

mw
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Recoil Lug - 04/30/16
I prefer the Holland .250 lug ........no big deal to remove a little stock material before bedding!
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: Recoil Lug - 04/30/16
Do you bed the tapered style tight or tape it? Do you think they are better than the parallel style?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Recoil Lug - 05/01/16
I've had them done both ways with clearance always on the bottom, and if done right both methods work, but when bedded tight you have to be extremely careful if you ever remove the barreled action from the stock as you could do damage to the bedding,damage can also happen when putting action back in the stock, that said I like to take mine apart once and a while to clean everything and put a rust preventive on the action so I prefer the clearance method , and the tapered lug seems easier to remove for me!
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Recoil Lug - 05/01/16
Greg Tannel makes one specifically to fit the H-S Precision inlet.

http://www.gretanrifles.com/products/main.jsf
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Recoil Lug - 05/01/16
The .2285 on is what I prefer..
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: Recoil Lug - 05/01/16
"Greg Tannel makes one specifically to fit the H-S Precision inlet."

I checked his site. Is it the one that talks about being for bedding blocks and not cutting out the stock material? Nothing specific mentioned about the HS stocks.
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: Recoil Lug - 05/02/16
Thanks, Greg took care of it. Nice folks. I build wood stocks and have no trouble with in-letting to a fit for the lug. But would rather leave a stock in its strongest configuration which is how they built it. It may be controversial but I don't mess with aluminum bedding blocks if I can help it. A skim bed of Devcon Steel or Titanium bedding if anything usually does the trick.
© 24hourcampfire