Home
I'm wondering if any of you have converted a kimber montana 8400 wsm to a 6.5 saum or other saum? If so, how did they feed, where can you get a blank in that contour, and who's a good smith for the job?
Not a 6.5 saum but I did a 7mm saum on a Montana and it fed just fine. Lilja will do the contour for you. I had C&C gunworks out of Bowman, ND do mine. He is on this sight as OilandGuns
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'm wondering if any of you have converted a kimber montana 8400 wsm to a 6.5 saum or other saum? If so, how did they feed, where can you get a blank in that contour, and who's a good smith for the job?

I'm getting a 7 SAUM on a Kimber in the Brown truck today. Pacnor did the work, They can match the contour, chamber and fit the barrel, and cerakote it too.
Why would you do a 6.5 SAUM instead of a 6.5 WSM?

Genuine question, I've been pondering similar builds myself...

David
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Genuine question, I've been pondering similar builds myself...

David

When I built my 7mm saum I chose it over the 7mm wsm just because I couldn't find schit for 7mm wsm brass but could easily find saum brass so that's the route I took
These days a 6.5 Saum is the way to go!
Planned on having a 6.5 SAUM on a Montana by now. But, instead I drew two LE tags in ID a couple years back and sold the doner to pay for the two trips/flights I needed to make...

I think it'd be a great combo!

The one difference that may matter to some is the length of the neck and the apparent protection a longer neck provides against throat erosion.
Originally Posted by smokepole

The one difference that may matter to some is the length of the neck and the apparent protection a longer neck provides against throat erosion.

And the Sherman Shortmags supposed to have a longer neck than SAUMs.
I built a 6.5saum on a win m70 wsm pushed feed action. Feeds great, plus I used the longer freebore reamer .120" due to the longer mag box in the m70.

[Linked Image]
Danny, that's a nice looking rifle. I'm sure it shoot great too.
I have a bunch of saum brass so I think I'll neck a couple down to 270 saum and see how they feed in my 270 wsm's. I'll also make a couple dummy 7 saums and try them in my 7 wsm montana.

I've had a 270 wsm montana for a while with the intention of building something but it actually shot pretty well at the range. I just won another new 270 wsm on gunbroker for a pretty good price so it's time to move one or build something.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire