Home
I have come across a nice clean 700 SA and B&C stock. Thinking a #2 or #3 24" 1-8 twist either the creed or ackley. Any thoughts. My goal is a set up to shoot the 105 grain Berger or Lapua bullet. Deer , Antelope and long range coyotes etc. l have a 1-9 twist 223 plus a 250 ai, so trying to fill the 6 mm itch. I built my wife a great little std. 243 Marlin Xs7 with a nice boyds stock that shoots the nab 1/2-3/4 all day for 5 shot groups. I love mt 6.5 creedmoor and Hornady makes brass ( I wonder if someone will make it a factory offering) what say you guys?
6x47 Lapua and have the best... Brass and do the same thing or better with less powder...
6mm creedmoor
Laker, what makes you say the creedmoor. I'm leaning that way cause of the shorter case thus allowing the bullet to be seated further out etc. both will drive the 105s over 3000 fps. Thinking the creedmoor. I love my 250 ai which is basically a creedmoor case design before the creedmoor. You running one yourself?
Good luck finding 6 creed brass...
Dog catcher, a quick check shows Grafs has it in stock. Mule deer suggested fairly easy to make from 22-250 brass as well.
Originally Posted by goodshot
Laker, what makes you say the creedmoor. I'm leaning that way cause of the shorter case thus allowing the bullet to be seated further out etc. both will drive the 105s over 3000 fps. Thinking the creedmoor. I love my 250 ai which is basically a creedmoor case design before the creedmoor. You running one yourself?

I had one but sold it cause I didn't like the platform I built it on. Will eventually have another one. The shorter case is nice for OAL. I was running h4350 with a couple different 105 grain bullets for a little over 3000fps.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Good luck finding 6 creed brass...

Hornady is making 6mm creedmoor brass now and midway has it instock. If you can't find it its not tough to grab some 6.5 creedmoor brass and run it through your sizing die and rock on
.243ai and Lapua brass where I'd go.
Originally Posted by Higbean

Where I went and I like it.

I wouldn't be against the creedmoor though.
Thanks for the lead on brass. I checked a couple places that used to have it, and they've been out for months...
.243 AI would be my vote.
When my 243 dies, I'll go 243ai. Mine is on a Ruger though, so I have 2.900" of magazine to work with.

I agree.
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

I agree.

ME TOO!
In a short action 700, I would do the CM over the .243 AI. Don't rule out the x47 Lapua case either. I would pick it over either of your initial choices.

John
In a 700SA I'd go .243AI and Lapua brass. That case will push 105's up to 3250fps+, so you can easily run 3150fps without hitting max pressure, and get great case life.
Everyone should have at least one 6mm. Has and always will be my favorite cal
I'm really going back and forth on this one. I'm sure either chambering would be just fine. Seems like the .243 might be faster. Both case designs make sense, thinking the 243 might be easier for brass selection, but you would have the fire forming project. There is a ton factory .243 choices as well. Thinking the .243 might be a bit harder on the barrel, but I know I would not shoot it that much.i really appreciate all the feedback......does anyone have any pet loads for either selection.
Don't over think it too much... If your bullet of choice fits in your mag box at your desired length, then 243ai is the way to go. If not, then 6cm or 6x47l. Choice between these two is just a matter of what you want to use for brass. Pretty good = hornady, super good = lapua. Really, there is no bad option.
I getta kick how the 6-250,International,XC,Creed' or whatever the fhuqk you wanna call it...is lauded as "new". Best brass ALWAYS wins and Hornady sucks,as do Norma.

I may drive a coupla 6mm's,though I've seen me sandbag more than a smidge.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

For straight up killing and for bolstering the inherent merit of superlative brass upon a S/A .473" donor the 6BR,SAAMI 243,243AI and 6-284 are tough to whoop. ADL is killer in all,except the 6-284 shines brightly with 2.950" COAL steel Alpha's fed ala AICS footprint DBM. No thang to arrange a 105 Hornie HPBT smooched throat there and kiss,while nestling mag confines easily.

My 20" no-turn 6BR is a wickedly fhuqking wonderful parcel and I'm happy to drive it,when others are gunning greater case capacity. What it gives away in velocity,it more than makes back in Precision and ES/SD.

It's a fhuqking hammer too. 200yds+ and a single 105 A-Max.

[Linked Image]

Coulda got (2) in one shot,the day before last.

[Linked Image]

The SAAMI 243Win is a literal Giant Killer and does all things well. The 243AI is a superior case design and the added velocity,do not hurt the equation. The 6-284 ties alotta attributes together and really has to be seen,to be believed...as it is a Mind Fhuqk.

Laser Fhuqking Beam 6-284.

[Linked Image]

Anyone asking a question in this regard,is gonna be best served with a 243Win,as they are tough to fhuqk up. Hint.

It will happily launch a 105 from a 22" at 3050fps ala '17 and a mag confine smooch. The Booger Highbird is an easy pass,the 105 Skinner is a PEACH,though I'd default 105 Hornie HPBT.

[Linked Image]

In the B&C and SAAMI 243Win I'd go no more than 22" and no more than a #2 contour,but a MR dupe is best there. I'd happily do likewise in 243AI,mainly because I have. Hint.

A 6x MQ and SAAMI 243Win with the 105 Hornie HPBT,covers alotta ground easily. With a 3050fps 250yd Killing Zero and The Milford atmospherics,the windshield will easily crunch the 1150yd line(9.8 Mils ele),as a "worst" case scenario. 5 Mil full value 10mph wind enters the equation at the 1675yd line. Hint.

A #3 in the B&C is too much of a good thang. Hint.

Lower rifle 1-8" Brux 22" #3 243AI. Though it's now in a Swirled Classic with 6x MQ and DBM. Hint.

[Linked Image]

I'd hang a pic of a 22" MR 1-8" PN 243AI in a B&C 1st Gen Ti handle,with 6x Fixed Fhuqker...but one can only dangle (6) pics in a Post.

No matter who chambered it,I'd still wanna be driving Lapooey 308Win Virgins and basking in the sanctity of positive headspaced false shoulders,along with a 105 Hornie HPBT smooch at 2.775" or so. That'll grant ADL excellence and land chasin' wiggle room,as inherent defaults.

Rebarrel a Montucky in a contour dupe,losing some shank length and do the 1-8" SAAMI 243Win 22" thang,because you'll get wayyyyyyyyy more bang for your buck. A Faux Ti cain't begin to hang.

You've been led to water.

Hint.

Thank me later.
Have you looked at the 6CM (Competition Match not creedmore)? It's a 243 30*AI more or less. They are running slow H1000 powder to extend barrel life and still pushing the 105s to around 3100fps.
Originally Posted by goodshot
Should I build a 6 mm creedmoor or a .243 ai

Neither....6x47 Lapua.....
Never could understand the drama involved with longish cases in a SA. So the bullet is seated below the neck, SO WHAT?

I went with the 6-284 in a SA ADL. Yeah, the bullet is seated into the powder capacity. But I still net a bunch more powder volume than with a 243, or a Creedmoor.

ULD bullets in a short mag box might change this dynamic if you can not get enough bullet shank into the cartridge neck to acheive consistent neck tension.

Bigstick,

How hard do drive the 6-284 w/ 95 -105's?

What is your preferred powder in this case?
© 24hourcampfire