Home
I have a rifle with a #4 weight barrel. It is way too heavy and I would like to have it re-contoured to a #2 weight. I would consider having it fluted, but I don't think fluting could take a pound off the weight of the barrel. I think slimming it to a #2 contour might. Of course, I could rebarrel it if work on this barrel is too pricey. Any ideas, comments?
Dave at ITD gunsmithing will do it.
Posted By: efw Re: Who does barrel re-contouring? - 05/15/16
McGowan in Kallispell will dup a huge batch of contours listed on their website on their CNC machinery (i.e. No man hours which get expensive) for something like $100 shipped. Check out their web site.
Randy Gregory at accuracy unlimited in medford WI will do it too.

Often the barrel maker will recontour them too, even after it's chambered.
Thanks to all for the replies. I have to make some phone calls.
Posted By: Owl Re: Who does barrel re-contouring? - 05/18/16
Just lop the end off- make it 16.25" long- that'll drop some weight - LOL

Just kidding. I too have a barrel that needs a new profile.
When I checked most would not recontour barrels other than there own.

It was inexpensive to have Pac-Nor recontour there barrels but not others.

Have a HB contour custom 308 unsure on barrel make wanted it recontoured most would not touch it.
Most are reluctant to recontour barrels due to issues related to releasing internal stresses resulting in bending and warpage. Can't say that I blame them for not wanting to deal with an issue like that. By the time you pay to have the barrel removed and re-installed, pay shipping both ways and the charge for recontouring you'll probably spent the best part of the cost of a new barrel contoured the way you want. This plus not having to deal with possible bent barrel issues pretty much much makes the decision to purchase a new barrel no-brainer.
© 24hourcampfire