Home
Posted By: herschel34 6 mm Creedmoor or 243 win - 06/19/16
Thinking of building some flavor of the 6 mm. What are the pros/cons of the two? Mag restraints? 8" twist?
Posted By: gemby58 Re: 6 mm Creedmoor or 243 win - 06/19/16
Just built a 6 Creedmoor, it shoots just as good, if not better than my 6BRs. While breaking in the barrel I shot a 30 round group @ 100 yards that the out side measurement of that group is 3/8". Its a boring gun as there no load development to do. I'm a big 6mm fan with having one 6 Creedmoor more to come, seven 6BR, nine 243AI, and seventeen 243, two 240Wby, three 6 Dasher and two 6PPC. I would go with a 8 twist in case you want to shoot 1O5gr bullets as it will still shoot 80gr up with excellent accuracy. I would go with the 6 Creedmoor but the 243 is also a excellent shooter that will shot tiny bugholes for you. The 243 is easier to find good brass as Creedmore brass is still kinda of new. The 243 been around for a long time, who knows how long the Creedmore will be around.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6 mm Creedmoor or 243 win - 06/19/16
243, why reinvent the wheel...

been around 60 plus years... brass ain't an issue...

if its a new toy, then why not the Creedmoor... gives ya something to play with...

a 1 in 7 twist on a Mauser Length or Long Action, where one can seat a bullet out there, can upgrade performance that is worthwhile, and noticeable... AI it for a little more of a good thing.
Posted By: aalf Re: 6 mm Creedmoor or 243 win - 06/19/16
Originally Posted by herschel34
Thinking of building some flavor of the 6 mm. What are the pros/cons of the two? Mag restraints? 8" twist?

Neither....6x47 Lapua....8 twist....perfection for a 2.80" mag box...
Posted By: woodson Re: 6 mm Creedmoor or 243 win - 06/19/16
No need for anything fancy. Using the default 2.8" mag box, 243 win, 105 bthp, and a 22" barrel I average 2980 fps with no pressure sign.
Went through the same questions a month ago for a rebarreling project. Went with the 6mm Creedmoor just to have something different, plus I have a 6.5 Creedmoor. I found some brass at Midway if you're thinking of going that route. I haven't found a lot of load data for the 6mm Creedmoor. Most seem to be using H4350 around 42 grains. I wish is could find some other data for other powders, like Varget, etc. that are easier to come by. I only have a pound or so of H4350.

Haven't gotten the rifle back, but I am satisfied with the route I chose. I haven't decided on dies yet though.
Originally Posted by aalf

How are you making brass?
Not sure if you were asking me...

Not making brass, plan on using Hornady 6mm Creedmoor brass.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/318441/hornady-reloading-brass-6mm-creedmoor-box-of-50
Posted By: aalf Re: 6 mm Creedmoor or 243 win - 06/19/16

6.5x47 Redding bushing die with the appropriate 6mm bushing.....
I have a 6 creed and 243. The 243 is a pain in the ass if you hate trimming cases.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 6 mm Creedmoor or 243 win - 06/21/16

6.5x47 Lapua brass - one pass thru a Forester 6x47 sizing die.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 6 mm Creedmoor or 243 win - 06/21/16

Might should do a 243 then
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have a 6 creed and 243. The 243 is a pain in the ass if you hate trimming cases.
that problem goes away if you do a 243 ai, then you have the added extra horse power. its really no harder anyways. just get 100 lapua cases, I can neck turn them all in an hour or so. then load them with creame of wheat and send the wife out somewhere, then go in your garage in fireform all of them. you will have enough cases to last for years. with only part of one evenings work.
Originally Posted by Seafire
a 1 in 7 twist on a Mauser Length or Long Action, where one can seat a bullet out there, can upgrade performance that is worthwhile, and noticeable... AI it for a little more of a good thing.

What you shooting that an 8 twist won't handle?

I figure you know what you're doing, would appreciate your thinking on the 1:7 choice.

DF
My 243 is a 7 twist, my creed is a 7.5. I'm shooting 115's...
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Seafire

What you shooting that an 8 twist won't handle?

I figure you know what you're doing, would appreciate your thinking on the 1:7 choice.

DF

Berger recommends the 7" for 115s
115's are too heavy the slower speeds never catch up to the 105's that and a little better trajectory always makes the hits a little more forgiving.
A. Not true...follow your drops out farther.

B. Less wind drift begins immediately.

Differences are slight, but they are there. My dtacs definitely drift less than my scenars. I've seen it time and time again, and it is noticeable.
A. Not true...follow your drops out farther.

B. Less wind drift begins immediately.

Differences are slight, but they are there. My dtacs definitely drift less than my scenars. I've seen it time and time again, and it is noticeable.

not true I ran JBM to 1000 yards which is all the effective range of the cartridge the 105's held a slight edge at 1000 yards. Less wind drift does not begin immediately the extra speed makes up for it. add to that even more length in an action that is hardly big enough to reasonably seat 105's,
Run it past 1000. My 243 with 115s doesn't go subsonic until after a mile.

They are barely longer than a 105...

shooting a 243 with anything beyond 1000 yards is pretty pointless. if your just wanting to wack some rocks across canyons so be it. but to depend on first shot hits beyond that is not really feasible.
6mm rem.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

shooting a 243 with anything beyond 1000 yards is pretty pointless. if your just wanting to wack some rocks across canyons so be it. but to depend on first shot hits beyond that is not really feasible.

Speak for yourself...
© 24hourcampfire