Home
What is the biggest contour barrel a McMillan Hunter's Edge will take?
I have used the Hunters Edge on several builds with Remington Factory Magnum contour and Rock #4 contour with 1" shank.

If you call McMillan to order a hunters edge, they will say yes to inletting for the Remington Man contour and no to inletting for a #4.

I had them inlet all of the stocks for the Rem mag contour and with the short shank, the #4s fit nicely.
I have a #3 Shilen in a Hunter stock with Edge fill. I don't know if I'd want to go much larger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those pics are great Taylorce1. Has anyone ever tried to squeeze a #4 or a Bartlein #3? Thanks.
why not just go to the Mcmillan hunter you can fit a #4 or bartlein #3b pretty easy.
I have a Classic Edge with a #4 Krieger if you would like to see it. Number 4 is as big as I would want to go, though they say a #5 will work. One thing to think about the has not been mentioned is cylinder/shank width and length. On my Classic it seems really thin in this area. I have a 2 inch in length shank. On a Compact/Hunters Edge this has to be less than two inches. Not sure about a max width.
Post a pic if you dont mind. Im not real sure how the classis compares to the hunters edge. Thanks.

Originally Posted by SWGAShooter
I have a Classic Edge with a #4 Krieger if you would like to see it. Number 4 is as big as I would want to go, though they say a #5 will work. One thing to think about the has not been mentioned is cylinder/shank width and length. On my Classic it seems really thin in this area. I have a 2 inch in length shank. On a Compact/Hunters Edge this has to be less than two inches. Not sure about a max width.
I had a Bartlein #3 in a Hunters Edge - GAP does it with their Non-Typical model quite often.
Here you go...I can't say anything but praise for my Classic Edge. Much better and lighter than an HS stock I have. I also have ordered a Compact Edge, but it hasn't came in yet. I would say 22" barrel or less go Compact; 24"+ Classic will be fine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks SWGAShooter.
Not sure if this will be helpful but here is a Hunters Edge on the left - rifle is a Tikka Superlite which has a barrel about like a Remington sporter/mag contour and rifle on right is a Classic with a Bartlein 2b contour which is like most other #3's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
These pics are all very helpful. There should be a thread dedicated to stock/barrel combination pics. Thanks again.
^^^ Sounds like a great idea. I see a lot threads posting for barrel combination pics. Done a few myself...
What's the weight difference between standard & edge fills?

Informative thread here y'all thanks!
I have a McM Hunter with a 2b Bartlein contour. I think a 3b would be pushing it a bit. From Oregonmuley's pics, it looks like a Classic would handle a 3 or 3b just fine. I had a #3 Bartlein in an EH3 Manners and it looked to fit well.
Is there a noticable difference between a rem mag sporter barrel and a #4 or a bart 3?
I have a #4 Broughton in a Hunters Edge, it works
Originally Posted by efw
What's the weight difference between standard & edge fills?

Informative thread here y'all thanks!

My Edge fill stocks have all weighed 22-24 ounces, the one standard fill FWT stock I had weighed 34 ounces but was a 14" LOP. I think McMillan list most of the standard fill stocks around 32 ounces.
If you don't mind, please post a pic. I would like to see that one. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Taco280AI
I have a #4 Broughton in a Hunters Edge, it works
[Linked Image]
I am very soured on McMillan stocks, but...

Last decent stock I got of theirs was an Edge for Rem 700LA. Bought in 00/01. Some years later I opened it up a bit on the barrel channel and stuck a Sendero SF barreled action in there. The barrel was timed just right so that the flutes hung just over the sidewalls of the stock.

That was a nice rifle. Never a problem with that stock.

Sendero SF in magnum caliber (.300 win mag). Barrel is a light varmint contour, but that means different things to different barrelmakers.

Good luck with any McMillan inlet for barrel channel. If your gunsmith has decent stock inlet skills, talk to him/her about getting a blank from McM and going from there. No hassles that way...
Bartlein #3

Attached picture edge.jpg
© 24hourcampfire