Home
Posted By: HogWild Chronograph Recommendation - 08/29/16
Looking to replace my old Chronograph. What should I get?

The Oehler 35P is simply excellent. GREAT chronograph with decades of chronograph-making experience.

Dr. Ken Howell is one of us and, at least as far as I'm concerned, he makes the finest chronograph available.

God Bless,

Steve

I have no complaints and love the ease of use with my Magnetospeed. Super simple to set up and no need for ideal weather conditions. Only issue I know of is it affects point of impact.
I have been in love with my Labradar. No POI shift and it tracks your velocities out to 100 yards or so. I save ammo and shots on my barrels having switched from the magneto speed...no POI shift means I don't need to obtain velocity data separate from my normal shooting.
Posted By: HogWild Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 08/31/16
I don't want one that affects POI. I like to measure velocity while testing loads for accuracy.
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The Oehler 35P is simply excellent. GREAT chronograph with decades of chronograph-making experience.

Dr. Ken Howell is one of us and, at least as far as I'm concerned, he makes the finest chronograph available.

God Bless,

Steve

This ^^^. Wish I'd followed this advise years go while wasting time with the others.

LabRadar piqued my interest when it first came out, but since then I understand that there have been some issues with small calibers. I'll stick with the Oehler 35P - it's like a Timex, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Have yet to have a round not register a reading.
Posted By: mathman Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/01/16
I love my Oehler 35P.
I voted for Labradar with my money...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: HogWild Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/01/16
Is that the doppler radar model? How does it perform? Price range?
Originally Posted by HogWild
Is that the doppler radar model? How does it perform? Price range?

It is. I've shot 223-300 WSM with no problems. Depending on the caliber, it will read velocity out to 100 yards or so at whatever intervals you set up.

You can get them here.
Posted By: Brad Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/02/16
Looking to replace my old Chronograph. What should I get?

I've used a Prochrono since around 1990... can't find any reason to change.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph
Posted By: JPro Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/02/16
I like my Prochrono also. It's not very tempermental.
I've owned a number of different chronographs, and the ProChrono Pal is definitely the best bargain I've found in an "affordable" model.

If willing to spend more money the Oehler 35P is still the gold standard. The Labradar may end up competing but right now apparently a little limited as far as smaller-diameter bullets and really fast velocities. I haven't encountered either problem with the ProChrono or Oehler.
actually I'm trying to sell a mountain lion pelt. It is very well kept authentic in mint condition I was wondering if you guys might be interested in purchasing it or maybe you can give me some leads on how or where I can put it up for sale?
Posted By: RDW Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/02/16
Originally Posted by JakeDaSnake
actually I'm trying to sell a mountain lion pelt. It is very well kept authentic in mint condition I was wondering if you guys might be interested in purchasing it or maybe you can give me some leads on how or where I can put it up for sale?

Try the closest pawn shop......
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/02/16
Originally Posted by JakeDaSnake

And what does that have to do with this discussion in this sub forum?

I have the Prochrono and have been happy with it. I'll spend the savings on bullets and powder.
I don't want one that affects POI. I like to measure velocity while testing loads for accuracy.

You seriously can't spare a few rounds? I have a magnetospeed and it is the bees knees. It doesn't bother me that I might have to shoot a few rounds to find out how fast my best loads are going. It works in all weather too.....

To each their own I guess
Posted By: keith Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/02/16
I have the Lab radar, ohler 35P, two different Chrony's.

You will be hard pressed to beat an Ohler 35P. I shoot several barrel tuners, and if you attach anything to your barrel, it will change the harmonics. Very, very small changes in the tuner will change a load. So, I am very skeptical of a Magnetospeed, but my fears may be unfounded.
Originally Posted by dogzapper

God Bless,

Steve

Ken Howell is no longer "one of us". He passed away a while back.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/02/16
I think Steve meant to say Ken Oehler.....
Posted By: mathman Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/03/16
Originally Posted by keith
I have the Lab radar, ohler 35P, two different Chrony's.

You will be hard pressed to beat an Ohler 35P. I shoot several barrel tuners, and if you attach anything to your barrel, it will change the harmonics. Very, very small changes in the tuner will change a load. So, I am very skeptical of a Magnetospeed, but my fears may be unfounded.

I've seen the Magnetospeed significantly affect POI for two 5R Milspec Remingtons, one 308 and one 300 Win magnum. (Varmint contour barrels for those who don't know that model.) It markedly affected group size for some factory ammo the 300 mag shooter was testing at the time.
Yeah, I even saw a Magnetospeed change POI on a .22 Hornet with a medium-weight barrel, by about an inch. That may not seem like much, but that's the LEAST effect I've seen. A friend's Ruger American Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor went from a sub-inch rifle sighted-in two inches high at 100 yards to a 2-3" rifle sighted-in six inches high. Or somewhere around six inches high, it was hard to tell.

They're great for measuring velocity, though.
I've used a Prochrono for a few years now, and recently have started experimenting with a Labradar, perhaps 3 - 400 rounds or so. I'm finding the Labradar to be more convenient to use at our local range, which is crowded, has limited protection from the elements, etc. The Labradar also produces conveniently formatted data, which I find helpful.

I consider it to be pricey and had to wait a month or so for the unit to arrive as it was back ordered. Smallest projectiles I've used have been .277. I've had read outs on all shots fired (not so with my Prochrono) but the unit has not reliably tracked .277 boat tail bullets to 100 m. No such issue with .308 projectiles and larger.
Posted By: JSH Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/03/16
I've been happy with my ProChronos for the money. I think the only reason I'm on my second is I tried to use the first in high winds a few times and knocked it over-totally my fault.

Originally Posted by Akbob5
I think Steve meant to say Ken Oehler.....

Yep, I had a brainfart.

Dang, I am SOOO human gringringrin

Apologies to my friend, Ken Oehler. What a fine man and excellent product(s)!

Blessings,

Steve

Posted By: fredIII Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/04/16
Dogzapper nailed this one right out of the gate.
LabRadar does a fine job for me. Gives you quick access to shot string info, calculates everything for you. It seems to be very accurate after verifying by drops at distance. It sets up very quickly, I use it every time I shoot. Using it consistently helps explain a lot of whats happening on paper.

Shot it side by side with a 3 screen Oehler a few weeks ago and the results were very close, ES and SD were right on the money. About a tenth the setup time was the biggest difference.

I know the MagnetoSpeeds are very accurate. Biggest advantage I can see is not second guessing the reason for POI change or a flyer, wondering if it was caused by whats attached to my barrel. I just don't like the idea of it I guess.

Before this I went through about 5 ProChrony's. I couldn't get anything consistent out of them day to day or even hour to hour. Probably just my luck though.
Shot it side by side with a 3 screen Oehler a few weeks ago and the results were very close, ES and SD were right on the money.

Seems any time someone wants to test a chrony, the Oehler comes into play. That said, the Oehler is the gold-standard, by which all others are measured. Sound enough reason for me to own one.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/08/16
I have the Magnetospeed, but it is to complicated to operate in the field. I am using the pro chrono, one on off switch... and I am an electrical engineer.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/08/16
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have the Magnetospeed, but it is to complicated to operate in the field. I am using the pro chrono, one on off switch... and I am an electrical engineer.
Thanks for that observation. I am mulling retiring my old PACT for something simpler, and Magnetospeed was on my list of possibles. Unlike most here, I almost never chronograph a load until I find one that is accurate enough to suit me, and I almost never shoot on a public range. Guess that I will save my pennies until I can afford a Labradar.
Posted By: TJAY Re: Chronograph Recommendation - 09/08/16
I have a chrony, pact and magnetospeed. The magneto is by far my favorite.
I reached out to Labradar re: their speed limitations and this was their response:

That is correct, it will not read above 3900 fps

Richard
Labradar
www.mylabradar.com
www.buymylabradar.com
316-866-2525

For those shooting the blazers, it's not an option.

I'll stick with my ProChrono for the money.
© 24hourcampfire