Home
Posted By: clucknmoan McMillan Game Scout - 09/07/16
Gents...need some input from those of you that have some hands on time with these stocks. Trying to lighten up my rig so I'm looking into the Game Scout with the edge fill. I shoot off a bipod most generally, usually prone or however I can get a good solid rest with the angle.

Looking for hands on experience with 50 mil objectives on this without an adjustable cheekpiece or a bag riser. Hows the cheek weld? What about a 56 mil? An absolute no go?

Next, I've heard that they suggest to not add an aftermarket riser to these, something like a defensive edge. Is this because they are thinner skinned than the standard Game Scouts? Or is it because of the edge fill itself? Or is this just hearsay and you can add a cheekpiece to one?

General likes or dislikes about this stock?

Thanks everyone.
Posted By: originalJCH Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/07/16
Love the stock.

I'm running a 56mm obj (NF SHV) on mine. I have to use an aftermarket stock pack.

No regrets. It's my favorite hunting style stock
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/07/16
I have two game scouts. You'll need some sort of cheek rest to get a solid cheek weld and be right behind the scope with a 50 mm objective.
Posted By: Judman Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/07/16
Got one on my stw, run 40 mm love the stock
Posted By: Jackalope Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/08/16
I haven't found the need for a cheek riser on mine with seekins low rings and a 50mm nightforce f1. Love the stock.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: clucknmoan Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/08/16
Originally Posted by Jackalope
I haven't found the need for a cheek riser on mine with seekins low rings and a 50mm nightforce f1. Love the stock.

[Linked Image]

Thanks Jackalope. I have the same rings on this rig right now so that's really useful intel. Appreciated.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/08/16

[Linked Image]

Sweet little rig.....what's it chambered in?
.308. Nothing fancy. Thanks!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/08/16
I'm considering the McMillan Game Hunter.
I'd like a higher comb.
Originally Posted by clucknmoan

Thanks Jackalope. I have the same rings on this rig right now so that's really useful intel. Appreciated.

No problem. You may even be able to get it a little lower if you can find a low profile rail. Mines a seekins 20 MOA and there's still about 3/16" of room under the sun shade with a Remington varmint profile barrel. Here's a straight side shot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vmaxed Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/12/16

[Linked Image]

That is a nice, handy little setup. Reminds me of my 6.5x47L.....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jackalope Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/12/16
That turned out great. I really like how nicely the stock compliments the metal. Seems like these little rifles have most of the benefits of a scout rifle without any of the drawbacks.
Posted By: Gies340 Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/13/16
Jackalope, Vmax, what barrel lengths?
Posted By: Jackalope Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/13/16
Originally Posted by Gies340

Mines an 18" .308.
Posted By: Vmaxed Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/14/16
Originally Posted by Gies340

Mines an 18" .308.

18" as well.
Posted By: Jackalope Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/22/16
Crow eating time. After an extended range session, I realized the comb height was indeed a little bit low. I glued a piece of 1/8" leather to the comb and it improved it dramatically. I ended up using a spare false tongue that came with my whites boots. You can order them separately here:

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29964

[Linked Image]

Posted By: clucknmoan Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/22/16
Thanks for the update.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/22/16
Crow eating time. After an extended range session, I realized the comb height was indeed a little bit low. I glued a piece of 1/8" leather to the comb and it improved it dramatically. I ended up using a spare false tongue that came with my whites boots. You can order them separately here:

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29964

[Linked Image]

Nice fix there. I enjoy seeing folks employing a bit of ingenuity.
Posted By: Tanner Re: McMillan Game Scout - 09/23/16
42mm objective with Talley Lows has been perfect for me, big fan of the setup.....

[Linked Image]

Tanner
© 24hourcampfire