Home
Going to purchase a McMillan for my rifle build. Form on McMillan site for in letting is in in depth and thorough and seemingly straight forward. My problem is when reading the discriptions on their hunting stocks I am confused on their barrel inlet size maximums.
I want as compact a stock as possible with a traditional slim (non palm swelled) pistol grip, non beaver tailed forearmed stock that I can have inleted for my rifle.
My build will be a Remington 700 short action single shot action with a REMAGE Criterion barrel and barrel nut. The barrel contour is a Criterion light varmint.

For example the McMillan classic Remington Hunter info says it will accept up to a #5 barrel contour yet it has a 1.72" wide forearm. The Criterion light varmint is just over .800 thick. 1.72" would seem to be wide enough and leave enough side to the forearm to work.
Are the recommendations on max barrel size because a larger diameter barrel will absolutely not work or is it just a recomended max size by their opinion?
I have seen pics of Mcmillans that recomend smaller barrels with bigger barrels inletted in them.
If you understand my maybe somewhat confusing question please share your McMillan knowledge!
I'd say a classic would be your top choice given your needs.
That's the one I want but their online info says my light varmint barrel will not work...............
The specs on McMillan's site leave much to be desired. The light varmint will absolutely work in the classic. (unless the Criterion version is a really a huge departure from a 700 LV)

Give them a call.
Classic.
Originally Posted by SKane
The specs on McMillan's site leave much to be desired. The light varmint will absolutely work in the classic. (unless the Criterion version is a really a huge departure from a 700 LV)

Give them a call.

I'd listen to SKANE. I think has stock (no pun intended) in McMillan.

Give them a call.

The REMAGE Criterion light varmint contour runs basically 1.057 from the front of the threads to .803 @ muzzle @ 20"

I was also interested in the Remington "Compact" stock but info on website says will only With barrels up to #3 contour.............then again the REM Classic says only #5 contour but apparently that is inaccurate if a light varmint will work in it.

Would really rather use the compact stock if it will work but would be content with the classic.
The compact won't fit that heavy of a barrel and have much left in the forend at all. The classic will fit but you will need to sand or inlet it a bit and will look fine.
Originally Posted by 805
The compact won't fit that heavy of a barrel and have much left in the forend at all. The classic will fit but you will need to sand or inlet it a bit and will look fine.

That I can handle but am in no hurry and plan on mic measuring my rig when I get it assembled and havin McMillan inlet it to match the action, barrel and nut.

I know they are 4 to 6 months out but I am in no hurry.

Gitsum,

Compact on left, Classic on right. Both Remington sporter contours.

It'll give you an idea of what you have to work with. Like mentioned above - the compact is a no-go.

[Linked Image]
Scott, how do you like the compact compared to the Classic? Is it molded colors? Thanks Z
Z-
I like the compact on that particular rifle. (.358 - 22" barrel)
There's a bit of a taper to the forearm whereas the Classic is straighter.
Of the two, I still prefer the Classic.

Yep, that's a gel-coat in Mcmillan's "dark" camo.
Gitsum,

Compact on left, Classic on right. Both Remington sporter contours.

It'll give you an idea of what you have to work with. Like mentioned above - the compact is a no-go.

[Linked Image]

Pics tell the tale for sure, what is your opinion on the comparison of the Remington classic vs the Remington Sporter with the straighter comb and shorter length goin to the Remington sporter since My barrel length will be 20" and the straighter comb causing less barrel jump during recoil.
I can't speak to the recoil aspect. You're building a reasonable weight .308 - can't see recoil being an issue with any of them. (others might have different thoughts on that)

IIRC, the Sporter is only .5" shorter than the classic. But the Sporter is more than generous up-front and will swallow that barrel with aplomb. smile

With the LV, I'd still go with the Classic but you've only got to please you.

Give McMillan a call and talk to them about it. They'll have calipers at the ready, will grab the stock you're interested in and give you any measurements you may need.
I've posted these pictures before but if you didn't see them maybe this is helpful. Skane already posted a side by side but here is another of the Compact on left and a Classic on right.

The Compact is on a Tikka Superlite, the barrel contour they use as pretty close to a Remington sporter at the muzzle, but a bit thicker where it leaves the stock so almost like a sporter/mag contour?? Anyway, as you can see it uses pretty much most of the fore-end. The one on the right is a Classic with a Bartlein 2b contour, which is much like most other #3 contours, a good fit IMHO. The Classic is my personal favorite especially for a all around hunting rifle.

I know GAP puts a Bartlein #3 in their Compact/Hunters Edge so it does fit, the Bart is pretty beefy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I've posted these pictures before but if you didn't see them maybe this is helpful. Skane already posted a side by side but here is another of the Compact on left and a Classic on right.

The Compact is on a Tikka Superlite, the barrel contour they use as pretty close to a Remington sporter at the muzzle, but a bit thicker where it leaves the stock so almost like a sporter/mag contour?? Anyway, as you can see it uses pretty much most of the fore-end. The one on the right is a Classic with a Bartlein 2b contour, which is much like most other #3 contours, a good fit IMHO. The Classic is my personal favorite especially for a all around hunting rifle.

I know GAP puts a Bartlein #3 in their Compact/Hunters Edge so it does fit, the Bart is pretty beefy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wow could not have hoped for more help! Is the #3 and #2b nearly identical in O.D.? Would it be possible to let me know what the O.D.of each is at 20", my Criterion light varmint is .800 at 20".
I can't speak to the recoil aspect. You're building a reasonable weight .308 - can't see recoil being an issue with any of them. (others might have different thoughts on that)

IIRC, the Sporter is only .5" shorter than the classic. But the Sporter is more than generous up-front and will swallow that barrel with aplomb. smile

With the LV, I'd still go with the Classic but you've only got to please you.

Give McMillan a call and talk to them about it. They'll have calipers at the ready, will grab the stock you're interested in and give you any measurements you may need.

I don't have a problem with recoil in the physical sense, I should have clarified and used the term muzzle rise. Being I am building a Hunter I like to see bullet impact, the 20" barrel as you know will tend to have more jump due to its length and a straighter high heeled stock will deliver the recoil straighter into my shoulder helping minimize the jump compared to a butt stock having a lower heel. I am not going to use a break on this rifle cause I am deaf enough from 30 years of Sirens (retired firefighter) and 50 years of gunshots (started huntin at 10). LOL
FWIW, most aftermarket barrels taper ~.010 per inch, beginning +/- 6" from the breach end. That said, best guess is the Bartlein #2b will be ~.710" @ 20"; #3, ~.720" @ @ 20". YMMV depending on how much shank you chose to leave on the barrel.

You could always call Tracy @ Bartlein.

Bartlein Contours
Originally Posted by WiFowler
FWIW, most aftermarket barrels taper ~.010 per inch, beginning +/- 6" from the breach end. That said, best guess is the Bartlein #2b will be ~.710" @ 20"; #3, ~.720" @ @ 20". YMMV depending on how much shank you chose to leave on the barrel.

Bartlein Contours

Yup that should be right on the money. I just measured mine @ 20" and its about .692" but then I have a short shank on this one, its 5/8" inch so I'm going to be a bit skinnier at 20".

My Lilja #3 @ 20" is about .718" or so - also with a shorter then usual shank.

Not a great picture but here is a Classic with a #3 Brux on the left and a Classic with a Rem sporter on right. The Brux is a perfect fit IMHO.

[Linked Image]

Bartlein Contours

Thanks, my barrel is a REMAGE light varmint criterion. It is .803 @ twenty and we were discussing barrel fit in various McMillan sporter stocks. I have narrowed it down to the REM Classic and the REM sporter..........prolly gonna go with the classic. See stockys stocks has em in stock, don't know if they are pillar bedded though. Gotta call and see hopefully they are. I will open the channel up to fit my light varmint barrel

Yup that should be right on the money. I just measured mine @ 20" and its about .692" but then I have a short shank on this one, its 5/8" inch so I'm going to be a bit skinnier at 20".

Not a great picture but here is a Classic with a #3 Brux on the left and a Classic with a Rem sporter on right. The Brux is a perfect fit IMHO.

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

Yeah good fit for sure, thanks for the measurements! I hear the classic callin my name, just gotta find one with pillars in stock somewhere.
Out of every 10 McMillan stocks I sell, all actions and manufacturers, I would say 4 are Remington Classics. It is, by far, the most popular Remington pattern I sell.

The problem with in stock is finding one with that specific barrel inlet/shank length. That's a longshot.

Most in-stock stuff is either going to be factory specs, or stuff that got cancelled.

FYI, I have Rem Classics in EDGE tech, in stock, for $569 delivered. Pick your color.

And yes, factory barrel contour.

Whichever way you go, you are going to love your McMillan. Just choose your pattern wisely.
Yeah I realize that since I have the Criterion REMAGE LIGHT VARMINT BARREL AND NUT I am gonna have a gap between the stock and the radius area of the barrel since the factory barrel has a different radius and shank length. Having to relieve the sporter channel to fit my light varmint should take care of some of it but I don't know how much gap I will have around the nut and radius after I widen the channel. If it's minimal and not plain ugly big no big deal, don't know if it's a small gap if it's worth waiting 4 or 5 months for one to be precisely inletted at Mcmillans either. Mmmmmmmm Have any idea how much gap I would be lookin at?
Send me a pic of that shank. Or if you have a factory sporter around, you can mike at, say, 1/4-inch intervals and get a better idea. Also, if it's not a huge gap, bedding compound can take care of it when you bed the action, depending on the stock color you choose, and the color of the compound. Obviously, black, gray (even brown) are easier to match.

Keep in mind, the $569 for the EDGE is about $100 off retail, so it's that, plus the wait time, versus the custom order, which we can handle as well.

If it's a big gap, then I suggest you order. The last thing you want to do is shortcut a custom project. Otherwise, the bedding process can take care of minimal gappage.

Lol, I only have the REM receiver and jewel trigger at the moment, Criterion barrel and nut is paid for and ordered from NSS. Barrel not due till middle of October. I really don't want to short cut the project like you said. My receiver is a REM 40x single shot receiver so at minimum if buyin an in stock stock it would have to be ADL. I will contact you when my barrel arrives and I have some specs

THANKS grin
Originally Posted by Gitsum
My receiver is a REM 40x single shot receiver so at minimum if buyin an in stock stock it would have to be ADL.

FYI, if you dig a little deeper, Stockys does not have any Classics in stock right now for a 700 short action. They generally have pillars, and barrel channels are ordered/stocked as Rem Mag inlets.
I did not call them but they were showing that they did have an single shot short action classic this morning but didn't say if it had pillars
Originally Posted by Gitsum
I did not call them but they were showing that they did have an single shot short action classic this morning but didn't say if it had pillars

If you have access to a drill press, a mill, or even a steady hand with a hand drill, and can mix epoxy, you can add pillars yourself. I wouldn't let the lack of pillars stand in my way, if meant I could have a stock in day rather than months.
I do have the press but I am gonna go with Rickbin on this one. Since I would also end up with a gap around my REMAGE barrel/nut transition, have to open up the barrel channel AND install pillars in a "in stock" McMillan I believe I will take Rickbins advice and not rush my build and have McMillan inlet my stock to my action and REMAGE barrel setup. I am in no hurry and plenty of rifles to fall back on this season. I appreciate you pointing out my options.
Place your order through Rickbin, he beats mcmillans price
He beats their price? Since he deals with them does he get a quicker turn around time?
How do I talk to him about it "voice to voice"?

Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

Bartlein Contours

[Linked Image]

Muley: Can you post some more pics and specs of that rifle on the left? Love that brown speckletone stock!
© 24hourcampfire