Home
Curious about Ti actions.

700 Ti's seem to be 'In the white"

Whereas the Pierce seem to be recommended to have a coating.

What are the particulars on Ti actions and coatings, lube for smooth operation, or will they never run quite as smooth as SS/CM?
Originally Posted by 65BR
Curious about Ti actions.

700 Ti's seem to be 'In the white"

Whereas the Pierce seem to be recommended to have a coating.

What are the particulars on Ti actions and coatings, lube for smooth operation, or will they never run quite as smooth as SS/CM?

I had a Pierce. It so so sticky I could not work it from the shoulder without lube. I had to really keep it lubed in fact to do that.
That's not encouraging, perhaps the tight BR tolerances made it stickier than say a 700 Ti?
700Ti is a sloppy fit bolt to receiver. My Pierce is cerrokoted. Wasn't my first choice, but after spending quite a bit of money sending to to the right place and not getting it done left me little choice. Mine is smooth, but don't know how permanent it may be. A good PVD coating is the cat's meow. I sent it to 2 different national companies that said they would handle it. Knowing what they were receiving they refused to do serial numbered parts. I was really PI$$ED as they knew in advance what I was shipping to them.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
700Ti is a sloppy fit bolt to receiver. My Pierce is cerrokoted. Wasn't my first choice, but after spending quite a bit of money sending to to the right place and not getting it done left me little choice. Mine is smooth, but don't know how permanent it may be. A good PVD coating is the cat's meow. I sent it to 2 different national companies that said they would handle it. Knowing what they were receiving they refused to do serial numbered parts. I was really PI$$ED as they knew in advance what I was shipping to them.

Even after I had mine cerrokoted it was no better. The guy who did the cerrokoted gave me a fat discount because he was very disappointed with the results.
I don't seem to notice the slop. One in the chamber - bang -cycle one in just in case. Go collect the dead. Could just be excitement too tho.......

Skeletor

[Linked Image]
My Rem Ti .260 was tight. I had Robar put NP3 on the bolt. Problem solved. In a pinch Machine Gun Oil will work, but you'll have to reapply.
My 308 Tim is sloppy and binding. I put a rubber ball on the handle, some RIG on the flutes and cycle it carefully. Seems to work OK....

https://www.flickr.com/gp/68424083@N07/U56s69
Perhaps this "Lubricity" issue is holding back more from trying a Ti action? Interesting.

V2002 - tell us about your rifle, looks nice.
Remington Ti, thirty ought six, factory stock, dipped, dura touch finish, bedded. 2-5-8 VX3, talleys, all at 6lbs 4ozs.

3-digit seral# not sure it that matters, but its not tight or really sloppy. In fact it cycles fine for me.
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Even after I had mine cerrokoted it was no better. The guy who did the cerrokoted gave me a fat discount because he was very disappointed with the results.

Yet there's a few gentlemen on the F-TR national team including Bryan Litz and John himself that use a Pierce Ti action on their match rifles without any issues. crazy
My titanium action is coated in a product called Balzers. It has a titanium bolt as well and it is coated with it as well as all the metal. Works quite well but not perfect.
Vacrt - you are covered for all needs thanks.

I would guess any comp gun gets cycled a bit and helps smooth them out, perhaps not, but it would seem so. Thanks guys.
© 24hourcampfire