Home
Posted By: texasjohn Ruger #3 Custom - 10/14/16
Picked up my Ruger #3 Custom today. Chambering is .221 Fireball. This project has been sitting in my gun room for years and it finally got finished. I want to plug Roy Heggernes of Lohman Arms (Lohman Gunsmithing) located on West Littleyork in Houston for his nice work on this piece. Roy is a rising star and a graduate of the Colorado School of Trades like many of the best. Roy did the final shaping, finish, and checkering as well as the polish and blue.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: domit Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/14/16
cool
Posted By: LazyV Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/14/16
Not normally my cup of tea but that is beautiful. Congrats
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/14/16
Very very nice.

What length of barrel ?
Posted By: texasjohn Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/14/16
Barrel in 25 inches and fairly heavy contour.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/14/16
Nice looking rifle....
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/15/16
Wow! That is gorgeous! Congratulations.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/15/16
Very sexy!! Grats
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/16/16
Great job, wood that makes having eyes worthwhile. You can be proud of that rifle, more art than rifle. Still, I wish I hadn't seen it, because I have a Ruger #3 chambered in .220 Swift (rechambered from .223 Remington) that has been sitting around for about thirty years waiting to be redone. I'm going to have the wife lock up the credit cards. Lohman Gunsmithing, huh?
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Ruger #3 Custom - 10/16/16
That turned out great. I have a No 1 with salt wood that needs to be redone.
Posted By: texasjohn Re: Ruger #3 - Salt Wood - 10/16/16
What was the origin of the salt wood on your Ruger?

JC
Fantastic rifle!
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Ruger #3 - Salt Wood - 10/17/16
Wow. That is a beauty. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Ruger #3 - Salt Wood - 10/17/16
I've done internet searches found an old post where another fellow had one. tried to get Ruger to fix it to no avail.

This No 1 is an early 4 digit serial number. I guess some how Ruger got a few sticks of that wood that Browning was using. It is a gorgeous 100% burl and feather figure piece of wood.

The safety quite working once. I always thought one of my brothers got it wet or something, It finally dawned on me reading how to determine salt wood in Browning's that this Ruger had a stick of it. I replaced the recoil pad Dad put on it and the screws were so rusted they twisted in two.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger #3 - Salt Wood - 10/20/16
Nice one!

Too bad the stockmaker couldn't get those ugly dark streaks rubbed out😜.
© 24hourcampfire