Home
Posted By: RinB Montana 270--making it lighter - 01/11/17
I got a Ti bolt handle and an alloy guard bow from sources mentioned here. Saved 2oz. Cut barrel 24 to 22".. reduced 2oz more.
With 10 oz scope and Talley mounts...around 6#.
I find zero need to make it lighter, but could find a need to make it slightly heavier, at least in barrel weight.
Brad, my plan, when I bought it, was to shoot the barrel out ASAP. I have lots of brass and practice bullets. Then I planned to install a 1-9 Kreiger that will add about 8-10 oz.
I took it to the range and with two factory loads it averaged .4" for 3. May have derailed my plan.
Gives me leeway to use a heavier scope, say 16 oz.
I do like the longer bolt handle.
Lightened my Kimber 270 down to 4 pounds 14 oz.

Cut 3" off the barrel (back to 21")
Bored it out to .338 bore diameter.
TI bolt
Aluminum trigger guard

So with a 17 oz VX-6 2-12x42 it's 6 pounds 2 oz.

I agree that lightening them up to justify in your mind a heavier scope.

Or you end up arguing about which scope to use because a weaver 6x is a 1/2 oz heavier than a leupold 6x. If weight of a rifle doesn't matter so much who cares how much a given rifle scope weighs right?
Yeah, it would be hard to mess with a rifle when it's shooting that well, enjoy.
Originally Posted by handwerk
Yeah, it would be hard to mess with a rifle when it's shooting that well, enjoy.

^^^^^^^Sounds like an awesome rifle right now with it shooting that well... I'd be taking care of that one, shoot it and enjoy it. Hopefully the op won't have to change that barrel for a long time.... wink
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

TI bolt
Aluminum trigger guard

Or you end up arguing about which scope to use because a weaver 6x is a 1/2 oz heavier than a leupold 6x. If weight of a rifle doesn't matter so much who cares how much a given rifle scope weighs right?

To me, a heavier scope makes the rifle too top heavy: Adversely affecting balance...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

To me, a heavier scope makes the rifle too top heavy: Adversely affecting balance...

Me too. Especially on a rifle that's pretty light to begin with.

Casey
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Me too. Especially on a rifle that's pretty light to begin with.

Casey

It's never really bothered me,but I just shoot them,I don't juggle them.
Haha good point. I wonder if those who don't like a 19oz scope on a light rifle have ever used one?....or just doesn't seem like it is a good idea?

I have 3-9ss on a 223 Montana and compact nxs on a fw 280AI in a edge. Both feel and balance just fine.
I get it Rick. Sounds like a great rifle!

Here's mine with 22.5" bbl:

[Linked Image]
Just curious, other than the extra cost, why wouldn't you whack an inch off the barrel shank and have it rechambered? Seems like a bigger weight reduction vs cutting of the other end? Don't have a dog in this fight, truly just curious.

TI bolt
Aluminum trigger guard

Same here.

My BIL has a Mountain Ascent with a Zeiss Z5 on top. That rifle is far too top-heavy for my tastes.
Originally Posted by 30338
Just curious, other than the extra cost, why wouldn't you whack an inch off the barrel shank and have it rechambered? Seems like a bigger weight reduction vs cutting of the other end? Don't have a dog in this fight, truly just curious.

For me it's not about weight loss, but balance. 22.5" gives the exact amount of barrel forward the forearm as the 84M MT. Looks and feels "righter" than 24" to my eye, and gives the rifle the same OAL as the M70 LA FWT, which has always been a nicely balanced rifle in my hand. Also, cutting the shank back opens the stock up around the shank, which then needs bedding and possibly paint.
The 84M and 84L lay and balance so nicely in the hand that I no longer use a sling on mine.....I guess one could call that a weight saving.

Heavy scopes mounted high I find cumbersome and distracting. When I mounted a 6x36 on my 84L, I used X-Low Talleys and found the bolt handle barely touching the scope so I took a bit off the shank of the TI bolt handle with my 1" belt sander.
My favorite scope for a hunting rifle is the Leupold 3x9 Compact UL. I think they go about 10 oz. They are really tough. Mine survived my 7.5# 375 AI. (that thing found a new place to live).

TI bolt
Aluminum trigger guard

I originally mourned an 11.5 oz 3-9x40 on it and honestly can't tell you the difference in how it feels with the 5 oz difference in hand. Balance point seems the same. Aside from what the numbers tell me on the scale there would be no way for me to tell what is actually mounted on there between the two scopes while in hand so I opted for the scope with the wider power range especially since this is my brown bear rifle where I really find the 2x handy.
Posted By: EdM Re: Montana 270--making it lighter - 01/12/17
I swapped an Italian shotgun pad (1.5 oz IIRC), an aluminum trigger guard and a bit more paint on my 270 Montana. It balances beautifully for me and goes 6# 1 oz scoped, empty, sling-less.

[Linked Image]
Earlier post: why wouldn't you whack an inch off the barrel shank and have it rechambered?

If I did that, first I would send it to Greg Tannel to have the action "blueprinted".

At some point it is wise to leave really great alone.
Originally Posted by RinB
Earlier post: why wouldn't you whack an inch off the barrel shank and have it rechambered?

If I did that, first I would send it to Greg Tannel to have the action "blueprinted".

At some point it is wise to leave really great alone.

That's worthy of saying again.I bet more than a few rifle loonies have messed up accuracy on a great shooting rifle trying to make it even better.
Originally Posted by VernAK
... When I mounted a 6x36 on my 84L, I used X-Low Talleys and found the bolt handle barely touching the scope so I took a bit off the shank of the TI bolt handle with my 1" belt sander.

Using same scope and rings. Did the same tweak on my Kimber Ascent Ti handle.
I had the same issue, I didn't feel like grinding on my handle so just got low rings smile. I might get a spare handle from Kimber and try that!
I installed a fluted Ti Ascent handle from Chris84. Make me an offer on my factory Ascent fluted handle if interested...
Originally Posted by Mjduct
I had the same issue, I didn't feel like grinding on my handle so just got low rings smile. I might get a spare handle from Kimber and try that!

That's a darn good idea, though I really can't use a scope much lower on the MT.

Now you've got me thinking...
© 24hourcampfire