Home
Posted By: AROKHUNTER Which Floor Plate??? - 03/17/17
I am going to be putting a hunting rifle together with a McMillan Classic stock. I am thinking of using a Hinged Floor Plate, but I am not able to put my eyes or hands on the different floor plates that I am leaning towards.

I am looking at these:

Hawkins Precision
Sunny Hill
Williams
Badger M4

Please tell me any pros and cons with any of these. Pictures would also be a big help if you have any. I would like to know about fit, function, quality, and ease of operation, as well as potential problems.

I am having to go off of internet advice alone, so your help is greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/17/17
Of the ones you mention, I have only used Williams for a Model 70 build that included a McMillan stock. No issues that I can recall...
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/17/17
I have a SS Sunnyhill floor plate assembly that is very nicely made, but have also heard that Hawkins precision units are nice....
Posted By: smy1 Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/17/17
Depends on the action. For a Rem 700 or clone get the Sunnyhill $179 one. SS or blued. Drop-in or minimal fitting in BDL inletting. Great piece, I have two of them.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
Hawkins Precision are very nice.......Badger M4 are great too but expensive!!
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
Badger M4's I love and would be the first choice on a stock with a wide, flat, belly. They are too beafy for a slim stock. It probably will work on the Classic but it will be cutting it close.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
i have a hawkins and it is a great piece...but the only one i have found that fits the best is the stock remington one...all the others have extended below the stock line...it must be the shape of the stock because they fit perfect in my hunters edge
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Badger M4's I love and would be the first choice on a stock with a wide, flat, belly. They are too beafy for a slim stock. It probably will work on the Classic but it will be cutting it close.

^^What Clint said^^
Gene, you are correct, the Hawkins, and all of the Oberndorfs, are not true drop ins to factory inlet. They will function, but the fit is not perfect, mostly because of the "shadow" inletting for the factory unit. If the stock is cut specifically for the oberndorfs the fit will be perfect.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
I'd go with the McMillan floorplate.
clint,
i have tried it for both inlets and it still hung down past the stock line on my classic stocks and i have tried a couple stocks and floorplates....but it does fit great on my hunters edge models though...maybe it was just the luck of the draw but any mcmillan stock i have tried them on other than the hunters edge they didnt fit worth a darn....i sure wish it would though
Gene, thats good to know. Appreciate it. Poor bottom metal fit drives me crazy. Thats why on sporters my prefence has become ADL. Tired of dealing with it. LOL
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If a McMillan stock, seems like that would be the safest route to go from a fit perspective.
Posted By: woodson Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
Any reason to not add a PTG unit to the list?
i figured the mcmillan floorplate was made by one of the ones listed and never tried it...maybe next time
i have stopped using mcmillan and have Nathan at hillbilly custom rifles installing one of his stocks now and hopefully from her on out
his fit and finish are outstanding....
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Hawkins Precision are very nice.......Badger M4 are great too but expensive!!

I've got a SA Badger M4 on one of my Classic Edge stocks and really like it. Fit is just fine for a hunting rifle. Spendy but worth it IMHO. I do plan on trying a Hawkins on my next build, seem to also be really nice.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If a McMillan stock, seems like that would be the safest route to go from a fit perspective.

The McMillan floorplate is using the stock as the floorplate, AKA ADL/blind magazine.
LOL. Gotcha. But they do offer a BDL unit.
LOL. Gotcha. But they do offer a BDL unit.

See, I didn't know that, which shows you just how right my answer was.
Posted By: AROKHUNTER Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
From what I have seen of the PTG bottom metal, it is more blocky and not as nice as I would prefer. I would like a tight fitting bottom metal that has smoothed and rounded edges, and is sleek and contoured to not be below the stock if possible.

The action will be a Defiance Rebel using a Wyatts Box.
in my experience the stock remington and the pt&g model that duplicates your stock remington will be the best fitting
Posted By: RinB Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
McM make a very nice tg&fp unit. Well machined and fitted. About $230+
Posted By: RinB Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
None of the PTG M700 units are fit up very well. Their M70 is pretty good, that is the one with the original M70 style button. The Obendorfs are all pretty trashy.
Posted By: EdM Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/18/17
Their Oberndorf fit my McM stock very well on my 416 Rem M70. I just would not stay shut...
Posted By: AROKHUNTER Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/19/17
Well, I think I have the final 2 choices narrowed down to

Hawkins Precision
or
Sunny Hill

Main reason for these 2 as final contenders is that I want stainless bottom metal. Badger and Williams do not come in Stainless.

Thanks for all of the advice and input.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/19/17
didnt think hawkins made a stainless unit
Posted By: AROKHUNTER Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/19/17
You may be correct. I just went back to Hawkins Precision's website, and the bottom metal does not say it is offered in stainless. The only option are plain or black.
Posted By: wildcat33 Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
I just picked up the Hawkins recently. It's aluminum and I'm not aware of a steel unit. I'm very happy with the machining and the quality but I don't have anything to compare it to other than factory rem.

Andy Hawkins has a nice little business going, he's also making some stainless torx bit head action screws which complement a fine bottom metal selection.

Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
Hawkins is aluminum. Williams does make a non coated stainless. I bought one from OTM.I thought badger had either a stainless or aluminum option with the m4?
Posted By: toad Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
this is an BO M4 in al. the B&C stock did not have quite enough depth to allow the M4 to go flush without binding the mag box, so I left it slightly proud.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LBP Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by toad
this is an BO M4 in al. the B&C stock did not have quite enough depth to allow the M4 to go flush without binding the mag box, so I left it slightly proud.

[Linked Image]

BO? Badger Ordinance?
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by toad

[Linked Image]

BO? Badger Ordinance?

Correct Badger Ordinance, nice but not inexpensive option.
Posted By: toad Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
yep Badger Ordinance. thanks, OM
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
Classic Edge/ Badger, fit is pretty much just like Toads rifle. Not enough to bother me, I like the Badger aluminum bottom metal, never had it pop open on me which is a plus wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
Here's a hawkins on an EH-6 with bdl chassis.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AROKHUNTER Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/20/17
Thanks for the pics!

The fit on the BO bottom metal is not something that I could live with. It would bother me.

The Hawkins looks like it has a very nice fit.

I saw some pics of the Williams bottom metal on the web. It looks like it fits nicely too. I would just have to get it coated to match the stainless, if I went that way.

Does anyone have a pic of Sunny Hill bottom metal?
Posted By: Tejano Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 03/21/17
When you order be sure to tell them what bottom metal your using the inlet can vary or send it to them. Also for a modification fee they could build up enough to get a flush fit with the Badger floor plate.

They said the Williams was different than stock for a model 70 not sure about a 700.
Posted By: AROKHUNTER Re: Which Floor Plate??? - 04/07/17
Just an update. I went with the stainless bottom metal from Sunny Hill. $470 tyd.
© 24hourcampfire