Home
Decided to turn my 270 Win into a 30-06,so I sent my barreled action to Pac-Nor and let them do the work.Had them put me a 28" S.S. Super Match Grade barrel on it.It took 10 weeks there and back and it turned out really nice.I put a B&C M-40 stock on it,took her to the range to break it in.I think she will do OK.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
If that group was shot at 100yds it doesn't get much better than that.
Pac-Nor manufacturers great barrels. Even when I ordered the ones that screw on to Remington 700 or Savage Target actions with a barrel nut they are just amazingly accurate. Now a days, I use their polygonal rifling, which cleans easily, and works well with in faster twists for the lead free bullets that are required here.

Welcome to the Pac-Nor club, where there's nothing to regret.
I've got two pac-nor barrels and they shoot great-- one is a .338wm that began life as a M70 7mm. They did the entire rebarrel process and that gun will shoot better than I can now even with factory 250 NPTs.

I have a pac-nor blank that I've been sitting on for a wildcat varmint rifle but have just too much going on for that right now.
Nice.
I have a 26" 30/06 and it too will scream those 165'ish weight bullets.

Of course it's a beast to haul around. I need to chop 5 inches off it.
Yep, think you about got that one put together.

168 gr. NBT at near 3K fps should put the hurt on about anything.

PacNor makes some fine barrels, no doubt about it.

DF

Had P-N do several for me. All shooters. Congrats.

Do you mostly Stand hunt?
Yep.That would be a beast to lug around.It weighs 12lbs scoped out.It sure is fun to shoot though,recoil is quite mild.
A good buddy hunts with a Sendero. I asked him why he packed such a heavy rifle. His reply, I know what it'll do when I get it there...

He named it, E. F.; when E. F. Hutton speaks people listen.

When this E. F. speaks, stuff dies...

I'm not much into heavy hunting rifles, but appreciate the affection for and confidence he has in this old gun.

Pretty is as pretty does. And yeah, he can really shoot it...

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
A good buddy hunts with a Sendero. I asked him why he packed such a heavy rifle. His reply, I know what it'll do when I get it there...

I'm not much into heavy hunting rifles, but appreciate the affection for and confidence he has in this old gun.

DF
That E.F. reference made me chuckle. My grandfather had a rabbit dog years ago that was 1/2 beagle and 1/2 English pointer. A couple guys borrowed it for the weekend and when they returned it they had nicknamed it EF Hutton. Dog didn't bark a whole bunch on track, but when it did the rabbit was right THERE! One of the many dogs named Rocky my grandpa had over the years.
HUMDINGER!!!!
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF
That E.F. reference made me chuckle. My grandfather had a rabbit dog years ago that was 1/2 beagle and 1/2 English pointer. A couple guys borrowed it for the weekend and when they returned it they had nicknamed it EF Hutton. Dog didn't bark a whole bunch on track, but when it did the rabbit was right THERE! One of the many dogs named Rocky my grandpa had over the years.

laugh

Cool story, thanks for sharing.

And, I don't have the heart to tell this guy, .270 is gay... blush

He's not a Fire contributor, unaware of such wisdom and insight.

He just kills stuff, stays busy at the skinning shed.

DF
I had a 26" 1V Profile, custom No. 1 Ruger, Kepplinger, 6BR, dropped a buck at 400 LRF. It made a good stand rifle, other than being clumsy maneuvering in a blind. Once pointed in the direction of my intended victim, it was HIGHLY Effective.

Might have kept it had it been chopped to 20-22" - for all around use.

No doubt using barrels with that length in a chambering that can burn the powder, one really can straighten the trajectory.

IIRC, years back a gent used either 26 or 28" in custom 270s........and I would reckon it put it on par with a larger capacity sibling using a shorter tube. All in the purpose - when choosing specs no doubt.
With all this 6 and 6.5 talk lately, it's kinda nice to read about a plain old 30-06 being built on purpose. smile

Montana Marine has been the only other guy I can think of who's done this (on the 'Fire).............and he makes it look very cool.
No doubt a rifle like this highlights the potential in the iconic round.
© 24hourcampfire