Home
Looking to trim some weight on a build. Is PT&G the only game in town for aluminum these days?
I'd try to get a OEM Fwt unit. PTG doesn't make a Pre64 unit. Some guys have shortened/modified them to fit. Otherwise, Sunny Hill can hook you up for about $400 if I recall.
Originally Posted by TDN
I'd try to get a OEM Fwt unit. PTG doesn't make a Pre64 unit. Some guys have shortened/modified them to fit. Otherwise, Sunny Hill can hook you up for about $400 if I recall.
Thanks buddy. It's amazing that's all the choices for the world's iconic hunting rifle.
I hear you there!

Wished there were more options.
I have a PTG M70 that fuplicates the original M70 with the button in front of the bow. It is very nice. However the PTG with "obendorf" bows are pretty much junk.
Why are the Obendorf-style junk? I like the way they look but have never had one in hand.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Looking to trim some weight on a build. Is PT&G the only game in town for aluminum these days?

What's wrong with factory aluminum BTM metal?????? I've been using the factory aluminum on all of my rifles for a long time without failure.... I even use it on my 338WM...
The Echols shop at one point offered 7075 alloy versions.( two-piece).
I don't know if thats still the case.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

What's wrong with factory aluminum BTM metal?????? I've been using the factory aluminum on all of my rifles for a long time without failure.... I even use it on my 338WM...
Nothing "wrong" per say...just don't have one. My action has steel bottom metal and I want the weight savings.
My notes show swapping the steel for factory fwt bottom metal is a 3 ounce savings which I will take on a lightweight build!
© 24hourcampfire