Home
Posted By: docdb Scope choice - 01/17/18
I have a NULA in .308 coming this spring, and need to get a scope for a mountain trip. I usually practice to 500yds and wouldn’t shoot further. I have a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8 that I was going to use, but I’m not really familiar with the market. Any suggestions?
Don
Posted By: slm9s Re: Scope choice - 01/17/18
Are you looking to turn turrets?
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Scope choice - 01/17/18
Check the ejection before you make your choice. My Forbes has a very high ejection preventing large turret scopes. I spoke to Melvin asking about possible solutions. He suggested playing around with the extractor but he also stated that large turret scopes weren't common when he designed the NULA.
Posted By: docdb Re: Scope choice - 01/17/18
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear. I’ll speak to Melvin about it.
Don
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Scope choice - 01/17/18
2.5-8 would be perfect. Had a few NULA's. Or a straight 6x42 would be even better. I have a few FXIII 6x42's coming and I just bought them to flip them - if you're interested, drop me a PM.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Scope choice - 01/18/18
I think I would put a Trijicon 3-9X40 mill dot on it before I would the Leupold. You should have plenty of mounting room with a short action. I just trust the Trijicon a lot more and it is just as light. Mill dot would be accurate at 9X for longer shots.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Scope choice - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by 257heaven
2.5-8 would be perfect. Had a few NULA's. Or a straight 6x42 would be even better. I have a few FXIII 6x42's coming and I just bought them to flip them - if you're interested, drop me a PM.

Agree that the scope you have would be just fine. I had a light weight sheep rifle made in 270WSM and used that scope. It worked perfect on a 320 yard shot.
Posted By: 222ND Re: Scope choice - 01/23/18
Placed a 2x7 cds on top of a 700 mountain guide and for the weight, size and performance it would be tuff to beat.
© 24hourcampfire