Home
Posted By: 79inpa Bolt fluting accuracy change - 10/19/18
If I have my bolts fluted on rifles that I have loads worked up for will the accuracy change?
I have never experienced a change and can’t really fathom how it could affect anything other than looks and possible reducing gun weight by 1/4 ounce
No.
The weight reduction will be about the same as the weight of the money lost from your wallet used to pay for the fluting. Additionally, the flutes provide a really nice channel for debris to find its way into your magazine.
Weight loss will be about an ounce
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The weight reduction will be about the same as the weight of the money lost from your wallet used to pay for the fluting. Additionally, the flutes provide a really nice channel for debris to find its way into your magazine.

Yep, one of those eye-candy things with more negatives than positives.

drover
Exactly..
Unless the bolt body O.D. is changed (polishing after fluting, etc.), there will be no change. -Al
Posted By: SKane Re: Bolt fluting accuracy change - 10/19/18
I have a couple that were done after-the-fact (vs. done when rifle was put together) - no change in accuracy.
And done solely because it looks cool (to me). smile
I've probably fluted more bolts than anyone. The specials we run are pretty popular and the volume of work it generates borders on the absurd.

Bottom line: If you like fluting, flute your stuff and carry on. I've done it for well over 15 years in volume and the issues its alleged to create are far more rare than some might like to admit.
Most rifle issues are rare, but that doesn't mean it's smart to introduce more chances for issues. Especially when the reason behind the change is cosmetic (or to make money, in the case of the smith).

I've had fluted bolts, and while the debris issue didn't go so far as to cause any missed shot opportunities or rifle failures, the flutes did allow a bunch of snow and crap to get into the magazine.
, the flutes did allow a bunch of snow and crap to get into the magazine.

I thought it was funny when the promoters or maybe the writers who commented that the flutes would act as a conveyor to cycle crud out of the magazine. If you have snow or mud pies in the action cycling it more would be the last thing I would do.
Most rifle issues are rare, but that doesn't mean it's smart to introduce more chances for issues. Especially when the reason behind the change is cosmetic (or to make money, in the case of the smith).

I've had fluted bolts, and while the debris issue didn't go so far as to cause any missed shot opportunities or rifle failures, the flutes did allow a bunch of snow and crap to get into the magazine.

you mean you didn't wrap your bolt with blue tape?
They are carried by little people, silly people, dandyfied and lovers of the horn of the unicorn.
Originally Posted by 5thShock
They are carried by little people, silly people, dandyfied and lovers of the horn of the unicorn.

Maser???
I'd be very Leary of bolt fluting!!! Make sure it's squared and trued up!!!! Haha Jesus fuucking Christ use your head for more than a hat rack!!! How could it have a effect on accuracy????? Good Lord

Without the horn it’s just a horse.
My Savage Target Actions made it easy. I just substituted a fluted bolt body on the 6mm BR Norma rifle to distinguish it from the 6mm PPC rifle. Doesn't do a thing either way for accuracy but makes it an at-a-glance deal as to which is which.
I have several that were fluted by LRI in Sturgis. Great turn around, and excellent workmanship.
This bolt fluting had zero effect on accuracy. It’s strictly a cosmetic thing for me. And I have not experienced it shoveling dirt, crud and snow into my magazine.
The BS people come up with is never ending.
Yeah.
I’ve hunted a lot with mine with bolt fluting and never ever once had dirt and junk caught up in it....that’s laughable.
You guys sound similar to the folks in the optics forum who stick their heads in the stand about Leupold issues.
Posted By: SKane Re: Bolt fluting accuracy change - 10/25/18
You guys sound similar to the folks in the optics forum who stick their heads in the stand about Leupold issues.

You're sounding more and more like rost495 every day.
Originally Posted by SKane

You're sounding more and more like rost495 every day.

?
My head must be in the sand.
I have about 20 Leupolds. Have used them almost exclusively since the early 70s.
Did have a handgun 2.8-8X come apart inside, not sure exactly what happened. It was on a 357 maximum. Leupold fixed it free and had it back to me in about five weeks. That’s the only issue that I have had.
Ya me too... and I’m sure most everyone else has too.... gotta give folks something to whine about
Make sure them are SPIRAL floots.
Originally Posted by Judman
I'd be very Leary of bolt fluting!!! Make sure it's squared and trued up!!!! Haha Jesus fuucking Christ use your head for more than a hat rack!!! How could it have a effect on accuracy????? Good Lord

Yep. Only thing that determines accuracy on the bolt is the face & locking lugs.................neither of which are affected during fluting.

Not much knowledge or common sense here anymore.

MM

Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Judman

Yep. Only thing that determines accuracy on the bolt is the face & locking lugs.................neither of which are affected during fluting.

MM

Maybe he thinks it’s rear lockup??? 788 esq..... haha

I agree not much common sense
... Especially when the reason behind the change is cosmetic (or to make money, in the case of the smith).

I have a high suspicion that many smiths are those who failed to make the grade of dental surgeon
cause one could make schitload more fleecing folks wanting a nice set of pearly whites.

... the flutes did allow a bunch of snow and crap to get into the magazine.

Flutes on a bolt can potentially function similarly to flutes on drill bits and milling machine cutters.

I would prefer that small hard foreign particles have a relief area rather than potentially grinding between
the bolt body and receiver... I also believe that most fluting jobs are excessive or-way over done for such
purpose and can potentially invite problems like you suggest.

something anywhere between these two I consider practically acceptable...

https://goo.gl/images/K3694o

https://goo.gl/images/YiuYYX
Know what fluting really does?

It gives the internet something else to talk about. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over. . . .lol
I'd bet we could do a search on the net on this topic and find at least six causes of accuracy change with a fluted bolt. The change would be for the worst.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

You mean there used to be some here ????
cry cry
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Maser???

Been awhile since I've seen that name.....and still not quite long enough.
Posted By: Brad Re: Bolt fluting accuracy change - 11/13/18

Gawd, I just don't get the fluted bolt thing. Wish the Barrett didn't have them.

You seem to have thr horn of the unicorn on your mind...
I have many fluted bolts. It’s cosmetic only. No other benefit that I know of. Have had zero negative issues with them.LRI in Sturgis SD did most of mine. And if the cost of bolt fluting is a big issue on a custom rifle, better look for another hobby.
Majority of my rifles have fluted bolts. Some I’ve done and some came that way. If it’s such an introduction of dirt and debris, then why is ALMOST every single custom action built include flutes on the bolt body? I’m not sure I’ve ever had an issue.
Originally Posted by Blackpowder8bore

You seem to have thr horn of the unicorn on your mind...

Maybe three years ago…
How do people find 3 year old threads about bolt fluting?
Originally Posted by SKane
I have a couple that were done after-the-fact (vs. done when rifle was put together) - no change in accuracy.
And done solely because it looks cool (to me). smile

This^^^
Originally Posted by jackmountain
How do people find 3 year old threads about bolt fluting?

LRI is hiring Chinese bots to drum up business?
© 24hourcampfire