Home
I have a Ruger M77 in 25'06. Either going to sell it or turn it into something else. Would a long action be unreasonable for a Swift?

Just not sure what to turn this gun into if I keep it. I already own pretty much every caliber between a 204 and a 338.

Plan B is sell it and buy a 22-250.

Thanks.
All of your Pre-64 Winchester Swifts were built on the -06 length action. It worked then, though I can't remember it they blocked off part of the magazine.

Kaiser Norton
Sell and by a .22-250, unless you really like handloading.

I'm a big fan of the Swift, but there really ain't much it can do that the .22-250 can't.
My Swifty is on a HV Mauser action....no problem. The 22-250 is a nice cartridge that can do almost everything a 220 can is the same old comparison of the 308 to the '06....almost. If you are a reloader, the Swift is a dream for you... and a critters worst nightmare. Regards, Rick.
I do reload, and in my eyes, the 220 Swift will always be king of the 22's. Every new varmint round that gets invented is always compared to the Swift, but nothing has yet to beat it.

If my 25'06 doesn't sell it is getting transformed.
Both the pre64 Wins. and Rugers in Swift came with a wedge shaped plug in the back of the mag. box. The magazine got longer as it went deeper. This was done so what when loading the top rim always was in front of the one below.

I have a Swift in the M700 Rem. stainless varmint special with the fluted barrel, and it a great shooter. The magazine will hold four but if you load more then two you run out of room to properly stack the rimmed (semi-rimmed) cases and it jambs 3 out of 4 times.
You will need to make a mag block, but other than that, it's fine.

My Savage 22-250 is on a long action!!! It's shorter than the Swift
Mag block, couldn't you just stagger the shells forward as you load them?

Thanks.
Have you shot the 25-06?
Yeah, it is currently for sale in the classifieds.

I just don't really need a 25'06 so I am trying to thin the herd. Always wanted a Swift, so if this gun doesn't sell then it is getting built into something. I would rather have the money, then spend the money on a rebarrel, LOL.

I already own a 204, three 223's, one 223AI, a 243, a 7-08 (coming soon), a 30-06, a 300 Win, and a 338. Don't really have a need for a 25 since I can load the 243 hot, thinking about just punching it out to a 243AI to make up the difference between it and the 7-08.
Why not a new Swift if you get the 06 sold ? Seems like Ruger , Remington are making them...........
If I get it sold, I might just buy a 22-250. If I get a Swift I want a sporter weight 24" barrel. I think most Swifts in production are heavy barrels. I could be wrong though.
I would sell the 25/06, buy a 22/250 and punch it AI.........Blake
That is also another option. I think the AI might actually edge the Swift in performance.
I think BigStick said it best, the 22/250AI is a swift in a better wrapper.........Blake
I don't really need another varmint gun, but it might be easier to trade this gun than sell it at this point. I would rather have the cash and upgrade my existing guns. But if I am stuck with it, I would rather it be built into a hotrod.
I think BigStick said it best, the 22/250AI is a swift in a better wrapper.........Blake

Amen to that, truer words were never spoken.

Mark D
Yeah, the case stretching thing with the Swift and normal 22-250 kind of sucks.
I think Ruger still makes a Swift with a 24 inch sporter weight barrel ............
Make a Swift-Wilson/Arrow- it's even more potent than the 22-250 AI and it does away with the case stretching problems that allegedly plague the Swift.

I have loaded my Swift brass quite a bit and as long as you don't over resize the case and anneal every now and then again, it lasts quite long. Brass is cheap- shoot what you want.

And no, you can't just stagger the rounds, unless you are very careful to arrange them in the magazine each time you load. If you don't, you CAN run into feeding problems.
Actually case stretching won't be too big of a deal, because I won't be putting hundreds of rounds in a p-dog town etc through it. I want this as just another calling gun for yotes.

Got too many other alternatives for burning up the ammo in a p-dog town. I have wanted a Swift since I was 14 and never got one.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Long action on a 220 Swift? - 08/31/06
my swift is on a win 70 short action and the little cartridge is way cool. for that reason, I would suggest that you give the 240 weatherby a try on that long action. that's what I did and it is fantastic. shoot deer or antelope in the am and PDs in thee mid-day. may want to use cool handloads for the PD action. that's what I did and I could see most hits (and misses) through the scope.
I would 2nd the big 6's, I positively love my 6/06 and it see's more than its share of use.

It and a 223 is about all I need for the smaller things of the world.

Although I still day in and day out long for the 22/250 to be back in my stable.

Mark D
I vote for the 220 Swift AI; I shoot a Swift AI on a Mauser action and love it. Case streching is no problem with the AI. IMHO the Swift has the edge over the 22-250 and the Swift AI still has the edge over the 22-250 AI. Most of us reload and loading for the Swift is as easy as loading for the 22-250.
Good luck with whichever you decide; you can't wrong with either.
Don
Thanks for all the info. I have actually worked out a trade and now have a M700 short action with the .473 boltface to work with.

I know there are a lot of other options that make more sense (22-250AI for example) but I am still leaning towards a Swift just because I always wanted one. Ever since I was a kid reading Fur-Fish-and Game I have been obsessed.
© 24hourcampfire