Home
http://www.hallowellco.com/Heilmann%20custom%201909%20Argentine%20270Win.html

I'm sorely tempted.

Then send it back to Heilmann for a 7x57 (or 7x64?) rebarrel and red recoil pad.

Must resist.
Absolutely Gorgeous.
Sadly, beyond my means.
Posted By: efw Re: I love this rifle by Heilmann - 03/25/20
Hubba hubba.

Yeah cartridge change would be necessary but that’s a beauty.
Beyond my means....but stunning. It should not be a .270.......I would make it a 275 Rigby and call it a day. Much more fitting of a moniker.
Gorgeous rifle. The round bottom metal from Fisher has a much bigger impact on how sleek the gun is than you might initially think.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it being a .270 Win. Certainly wouldn't want to pay the $1500 or more to get it rebarreled, reblued, and engraved just for 0.007" in bore diameter.
Beautiful rifle that is honestly a steal at that price. Steve is one of the best in the trade and a helluva nice guy too.
That Muller border on the checkering just doesn't look right to me. Different strokes for different folks.
Originally Posted by 30338
That Muller border on the checkering just doesn't look right to me. Different strokes for different folks.

I like it.

Most custom stockmakers don't use it anymore because traditionally it was used to cover up flaws in checkering.

I doubt this was employed in that manner.

More likely a client request.
Same thoughts on the checkering border. That price would strain my budget but is probably half of what it would cost to do a similar rifle now.
Posted By: Brad Re: I love this rifle by Heilmann - 03/25/20
I love everything about it (including the chambering), except the open grip... not a fan.
Posted By: EdM Re: I love this rifle by Heilmann - 03/25/20
Nice piece by an absolute master. I am a fan of mullered borders but those just do not look right to me. Here's an example on my Roger Green built Grisel 280.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Somewhat restrained for a Heilmann and $7500 for an Argentine Mauser ? I like mullered borders but the checkering on that rifle is kind of busy which makes the borders look out of place.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
http://www.hallowellco.com/Heilmann%20custom%201909%20Argentine%20270Win.html

I'm sorely tempted.

Then send it back to Heilmann for a 7x57 (or 7x64?) rebarrel and red recoil pad.

Must resist.

Fine rifles and wood are kind of like women.... many are beautiful.... everyone has their favorite style/type.
Heilmann is one of the best in my opinion.
Posted By: RinB Re: I love this rifle by Heilmann - 03/28/20

In the 1960’s, 70’s, and 80’s over half of all the rifle built by Biesen, Fisher, Goens, Brownell, Milliron, and Kennedy were chambered for the 270 Winchester. The wait was about two years. Today the equivalent cost is around $15,000. Those rifle were sought after by serious hunters.
JOMO, at some point, probably in the '80's someone started pushing the envelope. Maybe it was Goens with ribboned checkering panels. Then it was island swivel bases, skeleton this and that, etc. It became an upward spiral spiral, or some would say downward, who could show the most creativity and best execution. Practicality went by the wayside. I admire a few of the masters who did not fall into the trap, like Jerry Fisher. Almost all his creations have been no frills, just near perfect execution. I guess I am an old fuddy duddy, but some of those rifles by the guys mentioned in RinB's post from the 60's and '70's were the "gold standard", but admittedly they look pretty plain up against some of todays creations.
Sexy ..
Someone should be castrated for that rear scope base. Uff-Da.
Beautiful rifle!
Posted By: RinB Re: I love this rifle by Heilmann - 04/01/20

Horse1
You know not of what you speak.
Posted By: efw Re: I love this rifle by Heilmann - 04/01/20
Originally Posted by Brad
I love everything about it (including the chambering), except the open grip... not a fan.

I LOVE the open grip myself.
Originally Posted by efw

Agee... love the open grip.
Originally Posted by RinB

Horse1

Originally Posted by efw

Yes sir.
I love that rifle. Changing out the barrel for something else is pure Blasphemy. It would be like putting Hillary on the cover of Playboy.
That's a nice looking rifle. Let us know how it shoots. grin
Originally Posted by RinB

Horse1

I don't like windage adjustable rear bases. What am I not seeing that I should appreciate with those?

I'd much prefer S&K or Conetrol.
Posted By: RinB Re: I love this rifle by Heilmann - 04/02/20

Horse1
Conetrol and, I believe SK are windage adjustable. That feature is pretty important on many receivers. A scope functions optimally when the internals are pretty much centered within the tube. I referring to 1” traditional hunting scopes.
Once windage is adjusted there is a trick to securing the rear base permanently. Send your email or cell number to me and I will send a pic to you. I don’t know how to post pictures.
Best to you.
Originally Posted by RevMike

Another member has purchased the rifle.

Practically stole it out from under me! grin
Originally Posted by RevMike

Another member has purchased the rifle.

Practically stole it out from under me! grin

Oh lord...
Absolutely Gorgeous. One of the prettiest rifles I have seen.
I called and heard it had sold....
See my post above.
See my post above.

I called too... smile.
© 24hourcampfire