Home
Posted By: humdinger face paint or mask? - 02/09/24
I've bought several face masks looking for one that doesn't bother me. I even have one where its like a wedding veil off the front of a ball cap brim that kinda work (fuzzy vision)

I don't smoke or spit chew so its not a big inconvenience to wear a mask. Eye glass fogging can be a pain.

But I walked through walmart the other night ad bought two face paint kits off clearance for $1.50 each (why two? impulse buy)

And debating if I will really use these and remember to take wipes with me to wash up.

So what do you guys use?

Pros or cons on face paint
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: face paint or mask? - 02/09/24
Paint.

Most of it these days comes off super easy, not like the old grease paint.

My glasses don't fog either.

I wear it bowhunting since I cannot stand a mask when shooting a bow so it just makes sense to use it turkey hunting and not have to keeps masks around as well.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: face paint or mask? - 02/09/24
I like to get Chick Fil A in town after a hunt and don't want to go thru the drive through with paint on my face laugh.

I use a gaiter style mask. Mesh kind. These are the ones I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Ca...refix=turkey+mask%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-8
Posted By: humdinger Re: face paint or mask? - 02/09/24
I should probably add that April MN turkey hunting is cold and sometimes I wear a mask for warmth...

I may have answered my own question.

Now if I do season F... its warm by then.
And bugs... so a mask may help.

Both may be my answer
Posted By: Blackheart Re: face paint or mask? - 02/09/24
Balaclava type mask {nothing over eyes} made of a mesh type material. I hate paint on my face.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I like to get Chick Fil A in town after a hunt and don't want to go thru the drive through with paint on my face laugh.

I use a gaiter style mask. Mesh kind. These are the ones I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Ca...refix=turkey+mask%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-8
1 or 2 swipes with a damp wash cloth and done.

This paint they have come out with in the last 15 years is nothing like old style paints.
I haven't used camo "make up" since the old hard wax sticks, light on one end, dark on the other, in a metal tube, you had to heat with a lighter, that the Army used back in the day. Sometimes, you had to let some of that stuff just wear off by itself, especially from around the eyes.
Posted By: wagner Re: face paint or mask? - 02/09/24
I wear a Redhead 3/4 form fit. No extra bulk. True timber green I think. I’d post a link but their website is wonky right now.
https://www.carbomask.com/
Masks help keep mosquitos at bay so you don't have to slather repelent on your face.
Posted By: humdinger Re: face paint or mask? - 02/09/24
Did I tell you guys one of my face masks is a miltary wool helmet liner with a zipper mouth that I bring on my snowy april hunts in minn? It looks like a weird wool bondage mask.

Because I live in a place there the weather hurts my face...

So the bigger question may be... Does the paint rub off inside the cold mask before it day warms up???

Hmmm...
Posted By: Marshal_Dillon Re: face paint or mask? - 02/10/24
Mask. I don’t like the paint nor the cleanup involved.

Spring around here can still be cold so a ski mask or balaclava helps keep you warm while sitting on stand.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: face paint or mask? - 02/10/24
I wear a mask when turkey hunting...Nothing looks more like a doofus than seeing a guy walking through the quick stop wearing camo and camo make-up on his face....Hb
Posted By: Fullfan Re: face paint or mask? - 02/10/24
Been wearing a mask, or the mask attached to a ball cap for the last 45 years.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: face paint or mask? - 02/10/24
Mask or head net as needed. Good friend of mine uses enough face paint to get picked for a Predator movie! Lol! But he uses what he likes and I use what I like, all good!
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: face paint or mask? - 02/10/24
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I wear a mask when turkey hunting...Nothing looks more like a doofus than seeing a guy walking through the quick stop wearing camo and camo make-up on his face....Hb
Never tried killing a turkey in a quick stop.
Posted By: buffybr Re: face paint or mask? - 02/10/24
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Never tried killing a turkey in a quick stop.
Not a quick stop, just my basement window. I don't ware a mask or use face paint. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: face paint or mask? - 02/10/24
3/4 face mask with a formable, wire eye opening. Keep it pulled down around my neck til I need it. Doesn't look weird in the Quick Stop.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: face paint or mask? - 02/10/24
Buddy of mine up by Mauston, WI kept getting his basement window broken. At first he thought it was someone trying to break in. But nothing was taken and it happened multiple times. So he set up a trail camera and found it was a big tom attacking his reflection! Lol!
Posted By: humdinger Re: face paint or mask? - 02/12/24
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Been wearing a mask, or the mask attached to a ball cap for the last 45 years.

Is the ballcap one that looks like a veil off the brim? Got a link or picture?

I have one I like, but its a too dark in the morning and its likes looking through a black lace curtain at the who-re house.
Posted By: pullit Re: face paint or mask? - 02/12/24
gator type mask for me. I think mine is an Ol Tom brand
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: face paint or mask? - 02/12/24
You could wrap your head in this.

https://www.amazon.com/Yoo-Main-Cam...lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1&psc=1
Posted By: humdinger Re: face paint or mask? - 02/12/24
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Hmmm... Be the camoflague mummy. I'm kind liking it.

I have that for my shotgun. The fabric holds moisture so you need to remove it after rain events.
Posted By: killerv Re: face paint or mask? - 02/13/24
Mask

Leave the face paint for the Drake wearing duck commander duck hunters.
Posted By: shaman Re: face paint or mask? - 02/20/24
I wear a veil. This is old school, but the mesh masks weren't being made when I started. The paint I bought wouldn't come off easy and I was in a 3-piece suit job during the week. Facepaint wasn't going to be a good idea. However, camo mesh was being sold by the yard at the sporting goods store, so I bought a piece and tied it to my boonie hat. I've stuck with it ever since.

It gives me a benefit. I can pile the mesh on top of my hat and keep my face clear. When the floor show starts, I simply dip my head and the mesh falls down. I have it tied just tight enough that it covers most of my face, but leaves an open slit up at the brim, so my view is unobstructed.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: face paint or mask? - 02/20/24
Mesh mask. It's kind of airy, and my glasses don't fog up
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: face paint or mask? - 02/20/24
When a very good friend of mine wanted to get into turkey hunting, he asked me if I would take him out with me. First time out, we were set up on a hillside overlooking a stretch of creek bottom. I set up about 20 yards away and uphill of my buddy. A gobbler answered my calling and literally was on his way, on the run! The tom came up the hill to our left and my buddy shifted ever so slightly. When the bird was about 25 yards away, I gave a sharp put and it stuck its head up. The Remington SP10 barked and the branch next to the turkey's head dissapeared and the turkey ducked down. I gave another put, turkey stuck its head back up, and another branch dissapeared! At this point the tom had had enough and took off and my buddy took his third shot on the wing... and missed again! I walked up laughing and asked him what happened? The head net he was using stayed in place when he turned his head and the divider between the eyes blocked his right eye. Some quick knife work took care of the divider. I then said "we just had all the fun of turkey hunting and he still had his tag, so we could still hunt". He said "leave me alone with my misery", so I replied "okay, but that was one of the biggest tom's I've seen here"! Lol! He said, "GFY Dean"! Lol! Moral to this story, if you're going to use it, make sure there aren't any issues and it works like you need it to. We've had a lot of great times hunting together for over 30 years, wouldn't trade any of it away...
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: face paint or mask? - 02/20/24
I used paint turkey and bow hunting in my 20s, Used a mesh net mask since.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: face paint or mask? - 02/20/24
No Mary K cosmetics for me.

Can’t beat this deal for $16.99. I kept a few and gave the rest away.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: face paint or mask? - 02/20/24
Baseball hat with attached mask with eye holes. Only a full headnet when the black flies are unbearable.
Posted By: Badseed Re: face paint or mask? - 03/25/24
First lite phantom mask. Keeps bugs from buzzing around you ears, not constricting and has a nice 3d texture. Ive used it during archery also and never had a string issue.
Posted By: Kelljp Re: face paint or mask? - 03/25/24
Mask,loose fit is better. More forgiving if you move.
Posted By: jc189 Re: face paint or mask? - 03/25/24
face paint or mask? Either one, depends on how bad the bugs are.
Posted By: Westernmassman Re: face paint or mask? - 03/25/24
Mesh mask plus a headnet when the black flies are horrible.
Posted By: humdinger Re: face paint or mask? - 03/25/24
Update: I returned the face paint. Not that I need the money, but my Man room fills up with crap and I decided I probably won't use the stuff.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: face paint or mask? - 03/26/24
After my years in the infantry, and living in camo facepaint for weeks on end, I’ll never wear that stupid [bleep] again. Even in SOF, we wore a face mask or covering of some sort when needed. The Quaker boy full wire rim mesh nets are the best for that style, while the first lite or mothwing leafy nets that are made to go over your cap are the best in that style, IMO. I also have one that hangs off your hat bill with wire to shape the opening. There are plenty that don’t obstruct vision. There’s user error possibility anywhere there’s a user, though. Facepaint is for girls and wannabe girls. wink
© 24hourcampfire