Home
Posted By: 10Glocks Fiocchi Golden Turkey ammo? - 02/12/24
Anyone tried it?

Nickel plated lead shot. I found it for under $11 per box of ten: 12 gauge, 3", #6, 1 3/4 oz, 1,200 fps. Fiocchi handgun ammo is excellent. So I took a chance and picked up a few boxes for pattern testing. Nickel plated shot seems to have gone by the wayside unless you handload. Looking forward to seeing how it does. For about a buck per round, it was hard to say no.

https://fiocchiusa.com/shotshell/golden-series/golden-turkey/
Posted By: pullit Re: Fiocchi Golden Turkey ammo? - 02/12/24
I can't remember if I tried that or if it was Kent ammo but what ever it was, kicked like a rented mule
I miss nickel plated shot. Best 00 buckshot load ever was Remington Premium nickel plated. No longer made. But I still have a box of it. The nickel plating was fairly thick, unlike the copper wash most plated shot gets today. Lead Remington 00 buckshot, which is supposed to be .33" actually measures around .315, and sometimes a tad less. Copper washed 00 usually measures a tad more, but still short of .33. The nickel plated stuff I have, pellets measure .335 and sometimes a wee bit more. So assuming Remington (or whoever they got their shot from) was plating their standard 00 lead balls, they were plated fairly thickly. I got great patterns using that load. Pure lead shot is generally undersized. I'm looking forward to cutting one of these Fiocchi's open and measuring the shot and seeing if is a true #6.
IIRC, I patterned some Golden Pheasant 6's in 20 gauge and they shot quite well.
I watched a fella on YouTube shoot some with good choke tubes and it sucked. Iā€™d probably try it for $11 though. You never know..
Havent tried the Golden Turkey just because the Golden Pheasant 2Ā¾ 5 shot thru a Primos turkey choke works so well
I got my three boxes. Interesting looking shells. Are shot cups usually this short? Nickel plated lead won't hurt a steel barrel. But if this was a TSS shell (which Fiocchi makes) with a shot cup like that, I wouldn't shoot it. That would be bare TSS on the barrel.

Edit: I found some pics of Fiocchi TSS shells and it looks like a different full lengths wad and shot cup in those shells.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
What are you waiting on man! Get some powder burning so we can see results.

Nothing like banging through a dozen rounds of turkey loads. šŸ˜ƒ just take ibuprofen 30 minutes prior to shooting.
I will soon. I am determined to use my Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge for turkeys this spring. I have an Ithaca-branded, non-ported, smooth, extended .665 choke in it. I want to run some Longbeards, Grand Slams and these Fiocchis through it. I may pick up some Remingtons this weekend to round out the brands.
Golden Turkey

Serve Up some Targets I got Money burning a hole in my pocket

They make Golden Jogger
Posted By: MOGC Re: Fiocchi Golden Turkey ammo? - 02/16/24
For whatever reason some companies just can't seem to make a good turkey shell. I tried the Golden Turkey and it didn't pattern worth a whoop for me. Hornady is another company that can't find the magic in good patterning loads.
Originally Posted by gunnut308
What are you waiting on man! Get some powder burning so we can see results.

Nothing like banging through a dozen rounds of turkey loads. šŸ˜ƒ just take ibuprofen 30 minutes prior to shooting.

Golden Turkey Report

Good, Bad or Ugly
Unknown. Still have not shot ttthem yet.
Posted By: TonyV Re: Fiocchi Golden Turkey ammo? - 03/17/24
I remember years ago they were some of the hardest kicking shells I've ever shot. Still have some from 20 years ago laying around.
Ugly. Tried them in multiple gauges and never bought a second box. Better options available
Dad's buddy tried them years ago, pretty poor performance.

On par with the old Activ Penetrators. Junk.
I'd try it in my Benelli m-1 super 90 and i' d also use the mod tube. You might be surprised. Mb
Posted By: MOGC Re: Fiocchi Golden Turkey ammo? - 03/19/24
I never could get Fiocchi turkey loads to pattern worth a hoot. It's strange how it seems some companies cannot manage to put together a decent turkey load. Fiocchi and Hornady can't get a shell to pattern well consistently. Remington has been very spotty in the turkey category over the years too. All the while Winchester keeps the hits coming from way back in the XX days until now with the Longbeard loads. Speaking of standard lead turkey loads.
I know that the Fiocchi trap loads have a lot of misses in them... lol! Gotta be the shell...
when lead was all there was,, nothing beat federal premium 2 oz 6's for turkey.
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
when lead was all there was,, nothing beat federal premium 2 oz 6's for turkey.
A 2 Oz load of #6 from Remington, Winchester or Federal will still kill turkeys just fine at normal turkey hunting ranges.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Fiocchi Golden Turkey ammo? - 03/19/24
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I know that the Fiocchi trap loads have a lot of misses in them... lol! Gotta be the shell...

LOL... of course!
Always been a Winchester man prior to long beards, hevishot , and tss
Posted By: MOW Re: Fiocchi Golden Turkey ammo? - 03/23/24
Just looking at the picture, it doesn't look like it's going pattern well past 30 yards. Standard shot wad and it's not even holding all the shot. As soon the shot column leaves the choke, the unsupported shot is going to spread and very quickly the wad is going to open and the rest of the shot is going to start spreading.
Posted By: Andy3 Re: Fiocchi Golden Turkey ammo? - 03/25/24
With Fiocchi shells, the nickel plating is good, but the shot underneath sucks. Very soft shot.

I've shot lots of their golden pheasant and patterned quite a bit of it and their turkey loads. Never found any that would pattern well enough, for turkey hunting.

I reload alot of nickel #5s these days, and found the shot that ballistic products sells is very similar, if not the same, as what is in the Fiocchi shells....good nickel plating with soft shot, underneath.

A couple years ago, I found the nickel shot that precision reloading sells....THIS is what you want. The few recovered pellets I get, are still round enough to roll across the counter! The "other" recovered shot is a mangled mess. AND, it patterns like a paint brush, in comparison. Trouble is, I know of no factory loading, offering this hard/nickel shot.....gotta load your own.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=SH&i=NP5

In my O/U turkey gun, I'll run my nickel #5 pheasant load in the bottom barrel, and TSS in the top barrel. Anything inside 40 yards gets the nickel shot.

Andy3
Fiocchi handgun range ammo is very good. Very clean. Reliable. Accurate. Good stuff.

These Fiocchi shot shells were absolutely the filthiest shotshells I've fired in a long time. Even dirtier that "Stars and Stripes" brand ammo. Typically, all my guns need are a light cleaning after a range day. Yesterday, I broke my Benelli and Winchester down fully. The inside the recievers, shell lifters, and trigger groups were heavily fouled with unburned powder and general dirt. My gas piston on my Winchester was black. Even inside my forearm was black. Yes, it gets dirty with other brands. But not that dirty, from that few shells. Jesus, that was like a years worth of shooting and it was just a box. I had to use a flush and an air compressor to get everything clean. I won't shoot them again. It's not worth it. I may cut them open to get the shot. Or just leave them at my gun club for someone to have. But I will leave a note with them that its filthy ammo. (Many of those guys are my firends, after all.)
Typical lead results. Why anyone would waste their time, money, and efforts with such an inferior product is irrational! LOL!

Now that's something I neither need nor want!
Dean, I hear Apex will be introducing a turkey shell loaded with Depleted Uranium at the next shot show. It will make TSS obsolete.
Lol, kill and cook all at the same time! But you sure don't want to bite into that stuff! End up lookin like Homer Simpson...
© 24hourcampfire