Home
Posted By: VaHillbilly Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/15/11
Just curious, and you don't have to currently own the model you like best because I don't, all I have now is a Model 870 super mag camo 26", I know it's a fine shotgun and it's probably many hunters favorite but I like a semi auto best and currently don't have one, I will be buying very soon and would like to see what works best for other hunters. I am kinda leaning back toward another Super Black Eagle II 24" camo but I have owned more than a few and they do have a few drawbacks for me, the SX3 is also attractive but it is a gas operated gun and I have read a few reviews about functioning issues with this gun, particularly feeding issues..................Hillbilly.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/15/11
My favorite is the one I am running now: 12 gauge Browning BPS NWTF camo edition. That same setup was also offered in the Browning Gold for quite a few years - there are still some of them floating around NIB if you prefer a semi-auto. I also saw a Winchester SXM2 turkey version at a gunshow NIB a few months ago. My waterfowl shotgun is a Benelli M2 camo, I have thought it would make a good turkey shotgun as well - but I am already setup with the BPS and don't want to go through setting up sights, tubes, loads, etc.
I use a Remington SP 11-87 3.5" with a 24" Barrel and a Rhino Choke. It will make a 50yd shots with Nitro's or Hevi-shot. I am going this weekend, which Saturday is openning Weekend in South Texas...."Wish Me Luck"
'
My trusty Ithaca OU Mod 600 mag 30" full/full 12ga.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/15/11
Mine is my trusty Remington 11/87 Supermag 23" rifle sighted barrel with a ICBDS choke tube.

So far it has taken somewhere around 14-15 birds.

[Linked Image]
My favorite is my great grandads fox sterlingworth but it is retired now wink. Now my go-to gun is my left hand remington 870 with the undertaker choke and hi-viz sight.

[Linked Image]
[IMG]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Left handed wingmaster (1979 model).

[Linked Image]
Left handed 1187

[Linked Image]
Fox sterlingworth (one on the bottom) with 30 barrels hammers the hell out of them too grin
I shoot a Remington SP-10 with a 30" barrel that's had a ton of work done to it. I just got my Rhino .720 unported choke. I handload tungsten shot, and it definitely performs best with a more open choke. I got the choke unported in case I decide to be lazy and fall back on the Federal FC HW #6s.
My go-to turkey gun is a benelli sbe II. Love it!
shooting an 1897Win pump. 30" barrel and 1 1/4 oz #5 shot. May use my BPS or 870 next week.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/16/11
Benelli M1S90 camo turkey model with Indian Creek BDS choke and Hevi-13 3-2-6 loads...

[Linked Image]
All of these look like great turkey getter's to me. I took a little trip today to a well stocked gun shop and handled several guns, a Beretta Extrema, Browning Silver and Maxus, Winchester SX3, Mossberg 935, Benelli SBE II and Remington Versa Max, I have narrowed My decision to two, mostly because of weight, the Benelli SBE II and the Browning Maxus.....Spring is almost here, Good luck!!!...........Hillbilly.
Posted By: natman Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/16/11
[Linked Image]

Mossberg 500 12 ga, 3" chamber, 20" barrel, fiber optic sights, shown with factory "X-factor" choke, I also have a Star Dot to try.
Posted By: Fischer Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/16/11
Beretta Xtrema, 28", Jellyhead
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/16/11
Mossy 835, 24" ported bbl, Limbsaver pad, 2x tru-glo red dot & Rhino choke w/Nitro co. triplex loads.

Le'bitch.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/16/11
Ruger Red Label..
Originally Posted by sgt217
Ruger Red Label..

+1
currently shooting an sbe 2 which i am happy with. aimpoint micro + rhino choke + nitro shells = 300 hits in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards very consistently.

my all time favorite though was a side by side 3.5" 12ga American Arms i had in college. Matte finish, 26" barrels. Problem is, you couldn't get after market chokes for it at the time and the barrels didn't hit anywhere close to the point of aim or the same place. still killed a bunch of toms with it and it was the best carrying turkey gun i've ever owned. ultimately got rid of it though as POI was so far off it was almost irresponsible
I ordered a SBE II 24" APG today but still would like to give the Maxus a try, I know the Benelli is solid and not sure about the Browning as I know no soul that owns one, this is what I made my decision on.................Fischer, that is a nice rig, I held an Extrema 2 the other day and it felt great!!...............Hillbilly.
Posted By: Fischer Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/17/11
Hillbilly, I hear great things about that Benelli. My Beretta is the original Xtrema - I wish it was an E2. Great for ducks too and it's similar to my AL391 that I shoot clays with - same pull, OAL, controls. Both have been fitted to me and point exactly the same. Yes, I fear change...

Mossberg - You gotta love them. I bet more turkeys have been killed with Mossberg shotguns...
I was open to all of the newer autos on my last purchase and chose the SX3. Light, fits like a glove, patterns great, great recoil management, and outstanding reputation.

These are my main choices for turkey from the scatter guns I have:

2- Win 1300s
3- 870s
1- 1187SM
1- SX3
1- SX2

I have several others, but rarely use them for turkey.

It's kind of fun setting up so many rigs during the off season, but it can be a challenge picking one for each hunt. The 1187SM has one this year, so I'll probably start the regular season with an 870, then move to the SX3 and possibly one of the 1300s or SX2 after that.

I have many deer rifles and do the same thing. Whack one with one rig and carry another the next time out. Also something to tinker with in the off season.

Have a good one,

loder

Posted By: coyote268 Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/18/11
I have three. Beretta Pintail with a 670 custom choke, a Exrewna 2 with a 670 Kicks choke and a new Mossberg 530 auto with a scope. I was plesantly surprised by its performance last year.
You have quite a collection of some fine shotguns Reloader.....I'm jealous!..........Good hunting......Hillbilly.
Posted By: DrHJH Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/18/11
Still shooting what I started with, a $58 Montgomery Wards Western Field(Mossberg 500) 20 gauge 3 inch magnum with a 28 inch barrel from the Big Barrel Buy Mossberg had in the 1980s to let owners of their guns switch to interchangeable chokes. I had a fling with a 12 gauge for a while after I won one in the late 1990s, but my titanium shoulder didn't like it, so a poor college student will be using it this spring. Over 100 turkeys with the camo-painted 20 now. I'd replace the repaired stock, but the cost of a new stock and forearm in real camo would be way more than the price of the gun. Am tempted by a Weatherby SA-08, but really don't need it.
Posted By: Ebby Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/19/11
Hillbilly, I have the SBE2 and the Extrema 2, both are outstanding with the SBE2 grouping slightly better and being easier to carry weight wise and barrel length (24" vs 26"). I use it mostly. The Extrema 2 is much easier on the shoulder though since mine has the Kick-Off.

A buddy just bought the Maxxus and it seems like a well made gun. Very light, recoil not bad, and it grouped well when we shot it with a .670 Rhino and Hevi Shot. Only problem is there is no 24" barrel and apparently no plans to bring one out. It is only about 1.25-1.5" longer than the SBE2 and extrema due to a shorter receiver.

Hope this helps.
Very good info Ebby, did the Maxus pattern as well as the SBE II? the Maxus I had in my hands was very light and felt good to shoulder but it was slightly longer overall than the SBE II, I don't think this would be much of an issue for me though, I am now trying to figure a way to come up with $1200.00 to buy a Maxus also, I wonder how much a slightly used kidney would bring? grin...............Good luck..Hillbilly.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/19/11
Right now there's 7 dedicated turkey guns in the safe.

1 SX2
1 BPS 10
1 1300
1 870 Express Turkey
3 NEF Pardner NWTF Youth 20's (these are the kids')

All have Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full tubes (XX-Full in the 20's) and all will simply crush a gobbler. My go-to gun for the last 8 years or so has been the SX2. It's just an extremely fine piece of machinery that patterns within a few pellets of the BPS 10 at 40 yards........but kicks a lot less.

Posted By: MKW Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/19/11
My favorite is my Benelli M1 20ga with a 24" barrel. Light and effective!

Mike
Posted By: 1885 Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/20/11
Have used a 12 ga 1187. Currently using a 12 ga Encore which I prefer. This spring I'll be using a crossbow.
Posted By: Ebby Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/20/11
Hillbilly. The Maxus seemed to pattern about like the SBE2 to the naked eye but I did not count pellets as it was my Friend's gun and he took the targets home with him to count. I also shoot the nitro's in mine and he was shooting the Mag Blends and Hevi #7's and did not shoot a nitro. I shot both of those loads from mine and again it seemed pretty equal. I got around 225 pellets in 10" with the Mag Blend, around 260 with the #7's and 279 with the Nitro's.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/20/11
Not my only one, but my favorite.

Model 12 Winchester, 28" bbl, full choke - 2 3/4 Winchester Double X Magnum 4 shot.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by roundoak

Model 12 Winchester, 28" bbl, full choke - 2 3/4 Winchester Double X Magnum 4 shot.

[Linked Image]

That is cool. My dad has a few of those things laying around in 16 and 20 gauge. I still like taking the old guns out in the field and don't feel undergunned with the 2 3/4" turkey loads in the sterlingworth because I've seen what kind of damage it does on them at extended ranges. I just don't take it out much anymore because I know it is going up in value and it's been in the family for 3 generations. I kind of want to preserve it as much as I can grin
My go to gun is an old Mossberg 500 with new barrel for the screw in chokes. I use an Undertaker choke in it. Shoots a little left.

It its raining I take a Stoeger 2000 autoloader with the factory turkey choke. That gun made an inredible shot last year. That stock choke works very well.
Winchester SX3 with an Comp-n-choke tube. It knocks the snot right out of them......
Posted By: jcc Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/21/11
Only have one. 870 with sling and scope, briley choked and pachmayr pad added.
Very effective. Appears it will outlast me at a shot or three a year.

jimmy c
Originally Posted by roundoak

[Linked Image]
That is old school cool right there................Hillbilly.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Favorite turkey shotgun? - 03/21/11
Benelli SBE with SteadyGrip, choke is the Kicks GOBBLIN Thunder(655) POISON to Rio's and Easterns!!!
© 24hourcampfire