Home
Posted By: saddlering Best Box Call? - 05/01/13
I used to use a H.S Strut lil camo box call, worked great, till it got mashed! I bougth a Lil heart Breaker, has a purple heart top and handle, sounds good to me, but not called a bird in, with it, 3 years running, Iv had them start in, but no go, granted I only hunt a few days a season. 1 1/2 days this year, was to early, as there were 16 toms togather, 1/4 mile, from where i could hunt, they were on private land!So maybe time for a new call. Whats a good one?
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Best Box Call? - 05/02/13
If you can only hunt a few days a season, don't expect your call choice to be the magic wand. But,for a box call, I keep it simple, Lynch Foolproof. I also carry a slate and glass and mix it up.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Best Box Call? - 05/02/13
Also a fan of the Lynch Foolproof as well as Penn Woods Lucky Clucker (one hand operation for when they are close)
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Best Box Call? - 05/02/13
Killed my first bird with a Lynch Foolproof and my last bird. I've been using this box for 24 years. Bought at their place when they were made in Liberty, MS.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mike_e_miller Re: Best Box Call? - 05/02/13
I've got an old Bill Harper call. He owned Lohman calls at one time. Got lost for a season in all weather then found again and still sounds good.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Best Box Call? - 05/02/13
I have one of those HS Lil Heart Breakers. I've called in quite a few birds with it. It's a loud call though which can work to your advantage if the birds are a long ways off. I tone it down when they get closer. Also bought a Primos box call last winter and have been using that this year. Different tone and not as load but sounds good.
Posted By: dantheman223wssm Re: Best Box Call? - 05/03/13
Penns woods water proof wizard
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: Best Box Call? - 05/03/13
The Northern Scratchbox... my own design. Here's a bird I fooled with it a couple of years ago:

[Linked Image]

Deadly this morning, too:

[Linked Image]

Read about this morning's bird here: Big gobbler down in NW PA.

Steve.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Best Box Call? - 05/04/13
Best? That would be my Lynch. The one that means the most to me? This old striker hand made jobber that a fellow gave to me to use back in '83 and it was old then. I called in my first turkey on my very first turkey hunt with it that year, a 25lb 12" beard thundering brute that about had me peeing in my pants before I shot him. A deep Ozark mountain bird that made my day.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Best Box Call? - 05/04/13
Nice Toms! Thanks guys , guess I have a year to find another one to try!
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Best Box Call? - 05/04/13
My Lynch and a few slates in this photo,

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucktales Re: Best Box Call? - 05/04/13
I still like my old Lynch....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BlueK9 Re: Best Box Call? - 05/04/13
Best is relative to the situation for me. If I want loud and sharp , I'll run my Scott Basehore paddle made of Butternut and Holly as locator/early enticer to illicit gobbles. For all around work and hen flock talk coupled with a friction call or two, I like my Marlin Watkins' Fiddle Paddle and Fiddle Box pair made of Ebony and Poplar.
Posted By: Bryant Re: Best Box Call? - 05/04/13
my favorites are a woodhaven real hen and a custom albert paul
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Best Box Call? - 05/04/13
I've got a Barker box call given me by a good friend who helped me get my first Tom. Love that call.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Best Box Call? - 05/05/13
Had a bunch over the years, both factory and custom. This is the best... Tim Bullock of No Bull Custom Calls maple over mineral stained poplar... all turkey!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Best Box Call? - 05/05/13
I've got a Flextone Magnum Strutter that sounds pretty damn good.
Posted By: BlueK9 Re: Best Box Call? - 05/05/13
Originally Posted by MOGC
Had a bunch over the years, both factory and custom. This is the best... Tim Bullock of No Bull Custom Calls maple over mineral stained poplar... all turkey!

[Linked Image]

Tim makes great calls! That one looks fantastic.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Best Box Call? - 05/05/13
Thank you... I will say this about Tim, he is a hell of a good guy to talk with and deal with on a call. Just a real sincere guy and he flat out knows how to put a call together that talks turkey.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Best Box Call? - 05/19/13
I like Paul Meek calls. He designed one for us out here in CA for long range calling that we nicknamed the Terminator. I like for finish them off with his scratch box. He is suppose to be the best there is with a scratch box and they say he can do everything with it except make it gobble.
Posted By: zeke612 Re: Best Box Call? - 05/21/13
Not sure if there's a "best". Lots of good ones. Albert Paul would be hard to beat. Poplar box with a Walnut lid is my favorite of his.
Posted By: Ganderson Re: Best Box Call? - 05/23/13
I have had good luck with a Blodgett Tracker II I bought several years ago. I like the range of sounds I can get from it. This year I bought a Knight and Hale Wet Willy to try to mix it up, but I personally don't like the sound as much, not as deep as I like to hear. Who knows what the turkeys think. Like others I also mix in a slate call. Called in a Tom for myself this year and my son. (his 1st turkey). Tried to attach pics but file size 2 big.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Best Box Call? - 05/28/13
My favorite is an old Dennis Kirk box. Walnut.

I believe it is no longer made. Bought it in '93.

It sure is beat up but it will get them gobbling and call them in when nothing else will.

Some calls just work! This will not help you select a new one but if you could find a "retired" hunter he may have one that he'd sell.

Jim

Posted By: Gary from Denver Re: Best Box Call? - 05/28/13
+1 on Albert Paul's calls. I cannot believe how good my maple/persimmon looks and sounds. Actually a musical instrument!

Gary from Denver
Posted By: rusty25 Re: Best Box Call? - 05/29/13
Yep, that combo just works...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrentD Re: Best Box Call? - 05/29/13
The best box call for me is the one I made. It's the best for BECAUSE I made it. Sort of like catching a trout on a fly I tied or shooting a deer with a gun I built.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire