Home
Posted By: shrapnel English Double Double - 04/20/14

There is nothing like turkey hunting unless it is turkey hunting with an old English double. Calling turkeys into range of a 2 1/2 inch shotgun with light loads, requires patience and good calling. This past week we spent some time in Eastern Montana doing just that.

The first morning was loud with gobbling turkeys and we set up not far from where they would fly down. We had a couple decoys out and after they landed, we called them right in. You haven't lived until you see tom turkeys strut and approach your decoy, gobbling and thumping their breasts. It is over before you know it, but what a glorious way to start a spring day, calling turkeys and getting a good shot on a 9 inch tom. The next best thing is to do it again the next day and get a double double, and do it with your son...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice birds Shrapnel! Nice double with your son too!

Our season here lasts until May 4th and I still have one tag left. Gobbling, strutting birds get me out of bed early this time of year.
Nice birds and nice double Shrapnel.
Posted By: WillARights Re: English Double Double - 04/21/14
Nice work, Shrap.

Woo, that bird looks large. That snood could be a third leg.

Didja weigh him?
Posted By: mtcurman Re: English Double Double - 04/21/14
Good job Shrapnel! That is a great looking shotgun also..
Posted By: jorgeI Re: English Double Double - 04/21/14
MOst excellent!
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: English Double Double - 04/21/14
Congrats!!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: English Double Double - 04/22/14
Originally Posted by WillARights
Nice work, Shrap.

Woo, that bird looks large. That snood could be a third leg.

Didja weigh him?

Didn't get him weighed, but the beard is almost 10 inches, I would guess around 18 pounds live weight...
© 24hourcampfire