Home
Posted By: Rolltide What Turkey Vest? - 01/03/15
I'm trying to find a better turkey vest and wanted to see what you're using. My current vest has a built in frame so that you have a rest whenever you set down, which is great if you're hunting field edges or other flat areas. If anywhere else, you have to take the vest off and set it up sideways. It's not the worst vest I've seen, but I think there are probably better options out there.

What are you using?

Thanks,

Chris
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/03/15
After a lot of years and different vests, I settled on one from L.L. Bean. Set up right and comfortable.

As far as a built in frame...get a turkey seat and a tree....lol.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/gear/hunting/2009/05/ll-bean-double-l-turkey-hunting-vest
Posted By: MOGC Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/04/15
Super Elite III...
Posted By: passport Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/04/15
I bought one of the Cabelas brand vests last year, best flip down seat in the biz IMO. For my style of run and gun hunting its close perfect, pockets could be a bit different but I will get use to that in time.

The seat is about 2 inches thick and comfortable for sitting on the ground, the back also has some padding which is nice.
Posted By: Odessa Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/04/15
I have been using a Super Elite II for a decade - great vest. As a "run and gun" turkey hunter the most important attibute in a vest to me is a thick seat that won't compress down in a short time (so I can remain very still) - all of them have plenty of pockets.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/04/15
I also use the Cabelas with the thick seat. I think their older vests were designed better but the new one with the thick seat fits my run and gun style.
Posted By: ridgerunner85 Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/04/15
I really like the looks of that LL Bean vest. They're not listed on their website anymore, so that sucks. I'm in need of a new vest also and there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there that I like.
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/04/15
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
I really like the looks of that LL Bean vest. They're not listed on their website anymore, so that sucks. I'm in need of a new vest also and there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there that I like.

If I recall they are seasonal. Might want to watch their site prior to the season or perhaps call them and inquire.
Posted By: Rolltide Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/05/15
I like the looks of the LL Bean, so I'll keep an eye out. I've looked online and done several searches, but can't find a Super Elite III in stock anywhere. It looks like they were discontinued last year.

Has anybody seen one recently? I wonder if they are seasonal as well...

Thanks,

Chris
Posted By: mikestaten Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/05/15
I really like Cabela's Tactical Tat'r II Vest. Holds all my gear quiet and secure. The flip down seat allows quick and quiet one-handed setup.
Posted By: shaman Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/06/15
I gave up on vests about 15 years ago. It was just to much. What I did instead was start using a . . . well, you can be kind and call it a messenger bag, or you can call it what it is: a purse.

[Linked Image]

It holds a box call, a couple-three pot calls. A dozen mouth calls ammo and extras. I throw the rest of the kit in a musette bag. I attach a lightweight foam seat to the back of the purse for my butt.

If you're looking for a good reason for not wearing a vest, it comes down to two things:

1) Covering the back door. The easiest way to deal with a gobbler coming up on your six is to roll to one side of the tree or the other and go prone. With a vest, I found all my gear falling out or clanking.

2) Going light and fast. Some times I will shed all my gear and do an end-around with just my shotgun and a mouth call. It is very easy to dump the load when it falls off at just the touch of a buckle.

[Linked Image]

Here's a picture of the whole rig in action. I was trying to get out before a big thunderstorm hit and rolled up all my outerwear into the musette bag. The wind was up, so the lightweight pads were blowing. Normally the musette bag is nearly empty, but I like the extra room for storing my sweater, etc on the hike out.

Posted By: n2deer Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/07/15
Cabela's Tactical Tat'r II

This is what I got last year. I like it, I really like not using a vest but I get real hot easily so I got one mainly for water.

Funny thing, not wearing a vest I only take the bare minimum. Once you put one of those things on you feel like you have to fill it up.
Posted By: roundoak Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/07/15
H.S. Strut SUV Deluxe Vest. Bought mine at Cabela's 6-7 years ago. MidwayUsa has them cheaper.

I use it for coyote hunting also. Drop down padded seat, plenty of pockets and room for layered garments.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2055228656/hs-strut-mens-suv-deluxe-turkey-vest-polyester

Posted By: MOGC Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/07/15
I hate to carry a gobbler over my shoulder like that. I hunt rough country and long distances from the truck and packing one over the shoulder like that is a killer.
Posted By: shaman Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/07/15
Originally Posted by MOGC
I hate to carry a gobbler over my shoulder like that. I hunt rough country and long distances from the truck and packing one over the shoulder like that is a killer.

What do suggest as an alternative? I keep an orange sack in my bag that has shoulder straps, but if it's just a short trip, I'll just use a shoelace and a stick. I just don't like taking the time to hose out the bag once it gets bloody.
Posted By: Rolltide Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/07/15
I've looked everywhere trying to find a Super Elite, but can't find one listed.

I'm not sure if it's seasonal or if it has been discontinued.

I have used turkey vests for everything from coyote hunting to deer hunting.

If you see one, please let me know.

Thanks!

Chris
Posted By: MOGC Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/08/15
Shaman... That's what the bag on the back of my vest is for. For years I packed a shotgun with no sling and carried gobblers slung over the shoulder. There is a better way, at least for me and my situation.
Posted By: n2deer Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/09/15
This is what I use to carry a bird.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Holston Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/09/15
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I've looked everywhere trying to find a Super Elite, but can't find one listed.

I'm not sure if it's seasonal or if it has been discontinued.

I have used turkey vests for everything from coyote hunting to deer hunting.

If you see one, please let me know.

Thanks!
Chris

Looks like Ol Tom picked up the design with Russel not making them anymore.

https://www.marshmutt.com/shop/turkey-hunting-vest/ol-tom-technical-turkey-gear-cotton-full-vest/
Posted By: MOGC Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/09/15
That looks like it except for the magnet attaching seat. I don't care for that, my son has one and it constantly comes unattached and flops down. Drives him crazy, he is going to work on the issue before this season opens.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/10/15
Somebody made a vest with a seat that had a backrest and "legs" they set down. I always thought that was a great idea. I'd like a new vest this year but I can't find that one
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/10/15
Scratch that found it: It's the tenzing turkey pack
Posted By: WillARights Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/19/15
Originally Posted by shaman
I gave up on vests about 15 years ago. It was just to much. What I did instead was start using a . . . well, you can be kind and call it a messenger bag, or you can call it what it is: a purse.

[Linked Image]

It holds a box call, a couple-three pot calls. A dozen mouth calls ammo and extras. I throw the rest of the kit in a musette bag. I attach a lightweight foam seat to the back of the purse for my butt.

If you're looking for a good reason for not wearing a vest, it comes down to two things:

1) Covering the back door. The easiest way to deal with a gobbler coming up on your six is to roll to one side of the tree or the other and go prone. With a vest, I found all my gear falling out or clanking.

2) Going light and fast. Some times I will shed all my gear and do an end-around with just my shotgun and a mouth call. It is very easy to dump the load when it falls off at just the touch of a buckle.

[Linked Image]

Here's a picture of the whole rig in action. I was trying to get out before a big thunderstorm hit and rolled up all my outerwear into the musette bag. The wind was up, so the lightweight pads were blowing. Normally the musette bag is nearly empty, but I like the extra room for storing my sweater, etc on the hike out.

I also have one of these. Very, very well made, and perfect for run and gun, Indian pursuit of the feathery fools.
Posted By: tzone Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/21/15
After a lot of years of wearing a vest, I've settled on carrying less crap with me into the woods. I'm a better hunter for it. I do carry a foam pad to sit my fat ass on though.

I have a slate carrier that hooks to my belt, the diaphragm calls fit in my pocket, and if/when I use dekes, I carry it.
Posted By: tzone Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by shaman

What do suggest as an alternative?

Oh... I thought that's why we were supposed to bring our kids along. grin
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/24/15
I swore off vests a few years ago. IF i had to buy one, it'd be the Ol Tom STRAP VEST. They look just about right and not hot.
Posted By: tzone Re: What Turkey Vest? - 01/26/15
I've also found they get in the way of my early afternoon naps by usually getting twisted up. grin Not really kidding that much. smile
Posted By: Holston Re: What Turkey Vest? - 02/04/15
Super Elites back in production by Mossy Oak.

http://store.mossyoak.com/detail.aspx?ID=12365
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: What Turkey Vest? - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Scratch that found it: It's the tenzing turkey pack

Camofire just had the Tenzing on sale the other day. Might watch it to see if they'll throw them up again.
Posted By: DaveCo Re: What Turkey Vest? - 02/04/15
I used a vest a couple of years, then switched to a fanny pack. I was carrying more stuff than I needed, and hated how cumbersome the vest was. I do like how some vests have some nice seating attachments, but that's not enough of a benefit for me to go back to a vest
© 24hourcampfire