Home
Have her more than covered with camo gear, am in bad need of a good 20 gauge turkey gun for her. All my turkey guns are 12 gauge and work great for short, medium, and long shots, but will be too much of a very good thing. Don't want to scare her off with first time at the range. She is slender with not much meat on those bones. Looking at the newer Mossbergs and of course the 870s and Winchesters.

Any thoughts on best amoung those?
None of you guys started wives to daughters in 20 gauge shotguns for turkeys?
Get her a gas operated auto, a lot easier on the shoulder!
I bought my son a browning youth pump when he was 10. He has killed quite a few turkeys with it. I highly recommend federal heavyweight loads with the flitecontrol wad in #7. He has killed toms out to 47 yards. Great gun and a great load
Low brass 12 Ga. loads of 7 1/2s or 8s always worked good for my wife and kids. Never have seen any relatives that had a kid stick with a twenty long enough to make it worthwhile nor did any of mine.-Mike
Why not a 12 gauge with a 2-3/4" load of Federal Premium buffered #6 lead shot through a Full Choke instead of an ultra-full choke? The heaver gun coupled with a Full Choke would absorb more recoil and not kick any harder than a 20 with an appropriate load.
I so agree. A perfect combo.
Originally Posted by Odessa
Why not a 12 gauge with a 2-3/4" load of Federal Premium buffered #6 lead shot through a Full Choke instead of an ultra-full choke? The heaver gun coupled with a Full Choke would absorb more recoil and not kick any harder than a 20 with an appropriate load.

I second this. With a recoil pad, she can do it. Just plug her shooting side ear.
Good thoughts. I have plenty of these lighter shells to try her out with.
870 compact is a awesome turkey gun. 21" barrel and just over 5 lbs I won't ever carry a 12 ga again.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bona fide 40 yard turkey gun right out of the box with federal HWT 7's. The big hard kicking 12 ga magnums are obsolete as far as I'm concerned
Originally Posted by taz4570
None of you guys started wives to daughters in 20 gauge shotguns for turkeys?

My daughter will start with one this spring. But I use one every year.
© 24hourcampfire