Home
Posted By: Les7603006 Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/14/15
I picked up a new tube today and hit the range.
I like it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: basdjs Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/14/15
Looking good. I've been using a Jellyhead on my BPS for a few years and like it a lot. Turkeys hate it! grin
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/14/15
Heck 7's didn't do so well
[Linked Image]
Neither did the mag blend.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: basdjs Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/14/15
I'd stay with the 5's.
Posted By: tzone Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/14/15
The first two patterns have some holes but the #6's are looking good!
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/14/15
I do like the JellyHead and the 6's but for hunting this year in going to use the #4's and a Carlson .660"
[Linked Image]
I'd never shoot at a bird this far but I'd damn sure would pepper a coyote. For 70 yards and 4's the Longbeards are pretty impressive. 34 hits in 10" should put 10+ #4's in tge side of a turkey killer's head.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bea175 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/14/15
should get it done
Posted By: bigdoc Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/16/15
Nice patterns
Posted By: Hugh Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/20/15
#5s
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/20/15
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Heck 7's didn't do so well
[Linked Image]
Neither did the mag blend.
[Linked Image]

mag blend is the classic example of bait and switch

make a good shell at 1st
then cheapen it once everyone goes apechyt about it

word..
plenty of turkey hunters have noticed this also

their 10"@40 counts went down a lot from those 1st and 2nd year lot numbers

"flax seed /#5 #6 blend" is what they ought to call it now
Posted By: WITUfan Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/21/15
I've unfortunately heard that about the magnum blend. I set a gun up for my Dad (jellyhead from a Mossberg 935) a few years ago and at 65 yards it looked like your 40 yard target. We bought up some ammo, so he has 20-25 rounds or so left. I guess when he runs out it will be back to the patterning board.

You have some great patterns there! Good luck this spring.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by WITUfan
I've unfortunately heard that about the magnum blend. I set a gun up for my Dad (jellyhead from a Mossberg 935) a few years ago and at 65 yards it looked like your 40 yard target. We bought up some ammo, so he has 20-25 rounds or so left. I guess when he runs out it will be back to the patterning board.

You have some great patterns there! Good luck this spring.

Do your dad a favor. Buy an Indian creek Black Diamond Strike .675 for that 935....you'll thank me later
gitem 12, I have an 835 Moss. that I have used very little.. What loads do you like with the Black diamond Strike???
Posted By: tzone Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/23/15
Yesterday I was able to find a Primos Jelly Head for my SBEII 26" bbl. I'd been looking for 2 years and all the stores were out when I did check.

anyway... I put it in and ran some Win XR Longbeard 3" #5's down the tube. Recoil was quite impressive! But good lord did it throw a pattern at 30yds. It would have been a true "jelly head" at that range. 36 in the head and neck and more than I wanted to count in the 10" circle. It was by far the best pattern I've ever shot.

So I figured what the hell and tried one at 50 yards. 22 in the head/neck, nice even pattern with no major holes in it. Turkeys are pretty safe at 50 yards unless I goof up and mis-judge, but coyotes sneaking to the dekes are toast!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
gitem 12, I have an 835 Moss. that I have used very little.. What loads do you like with the Black diamond Strike???

The federal hevyweight 7s. Hevi shot 7.5s and the Longbeard 3.5 #5 should all do very will with an indian creek. My 935 loved 3.5 inch hevi shot 7.5s

My current 835 has a bone collector smackdown tube(couldn't find an IC and i was in a hurry) and is really digging the 3.5 #5 longbeards
Posted By: tzone Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/23/15
How much of an improvement have you seen on the 3.5's? In the shotguns I've used it in, the pattern was actually worse.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/23/15
They can be choke sensitive in a lot of barrels. However with the Mossberg overbored bbls there is no question the 3.5s out pattern 3 inch shells

My Extrema 2 has an extended range Patternmatser in it that never comes out and is an absolute goose crusher with 3.5 BBBs

My SBE2 had the forcing cone lengthened, which i think definitely helps improve patterns with 3.5s that gun wears a Patternmaster code Black Goose in it that does double duty for geese and back up for turkeys. For ducks it gets swapped with one of Rob Roberts decoy chokes

Generally. I have been able to get 3.5 shells to pattern better than 3 inch shells. But I do think they are more choke/shotsize sensitive

Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 03/29/15
Hard to beat a Mossy with that ten gauge bore if shooting a 3.5" load. Lotsa room for the shot in that barrel, a buddy of mine has one and running an unported Hastings .690 and 2 1/4 oz. 4's or 5's out patterns my 10 gauge with Hastings .695 and comparable loads of 4's and 5's.
Posted By: borden811 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

The federal hevyweight 7s. Hevi shot 7.5s and the Longbeard 3.5 #5 should all do very will with an indian creek. My 935 loved 3.5 inch hevi shot 7.5s

My current 835 has a bone collector smackdown tube(couldn't find an IC and i was in a hurry) and is really digging the 3.5 #5 longbeards

The federal heavyweights aren't to be shot thought ported chokes, especially the Indian Creeks. The flight control wads don't pervorm correctly through ported chokes for one, and two, it could actually damage your choke/barrel. Also, the hevi 13 shells are 7s, not 7.5s. If you want to shoot the federal heavyweights, get a trulock choke made for them. It's the ticket for those heavyweights. I have an Indian creek in my benelli, and it throws some wicked patterns, closely followed by my pure gold, and a wrights. The wrights shoots well with the heavyweight shells in my gun also.
Posted By: Diogenes Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/10/15
What do the 10 yard patterns look like with the longboards? I've thought about giving them a try but I was afraid it would perform like a slug in close.
Posted By: borden811 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/10/15
At ten yards, out of a turkey choke, even a 1oz trap load looks like a slug. Out of my gun, they aren't any tighter up close than anything else. They just hold their pattern at longer ranges better than any other lead load.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by borden811
At ten yards, out of a turkey choke, even a 1oz trap load looks like a slug. Out of my gun, they aren't any tighter up close than anything else. They just hold their pattern at longer ranges better than any other lead load.

Same here
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by borden811

Same here

Same here. At 10 yards because of fliers I still have around 8 inches of killing pattern.
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/10/15
That 70 yard pattern is impressive indeed. When if you sling it at a yote, be sure to haul ass up to him and finish the deal.

I run an SBEII with 24" tube, trulock for Fed HW 7s and the 3.5 HW 7s and average right at 200 in the ten.. Nothing is getting away from that at 1300 fps and 15gm/cc density.
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/11/15
I have yet to try the HW 7's. The guns that I've seen shoot the well, shoot them very well. I've also seen other post up some very bad patterns. If I can ever find a box I'll grab them just to try. But for now I'm very well stocked up on LB #4's. By next year I hope to be running a 20 with TSS.
I'm hoping we see some LONGBEARD 20's in the near future. "Hint hint" stop screwing around Winchester. Were all waiting.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/11/15

I emailed Winchester about the 20 Gauge Longbeard ammo, they replied that they have no intentions of making LB's in 20 Gauge.
Posted By: borden811 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by Les7603006
I do like the JellyHead and the 6's but for hunting this year in going to use the #4's and a Carlson .660"
[Linked Image]
I'd never shoot at a bird this far but I'd damn sure would pepper a coyote. For 70 yards and 4's the Longbeards are pretty impressive. 34 hits in 10" should put 10+ #4's in tge side of a turkey killer's head.
[Linked Image]

I ran some longbeards through my benelli today with an Indian creek tube. 145 #4s in the ten at 40, 67 #4s in the 10 at 60 yards. Pretty good for 4s.
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/14/15
Nothing wrong with that borden
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Longbeards & Jellyhead - 04/14/15
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I emailed Winchester about the 20 Gauge Longbeard ammo, they replied that they have no intentions of making LB's in 20 Gauge.

Idiots. Plain and simple.
© 24hourcampfire