Home
Just read a review of the new Federal 3rd Degree turkey loads in the latest American Rifleman mag. They are loaded with No. 5, 6, and 7 shot, and patterns shown in their testing are impressive, from chose to far out.

Any thoughts? Thinking I might try it out this turkey season.
I'm skeptical of it. Even as much as I like tinkering i do't know if i'll mess with these

Longbeards have done well for me on birds from 11 paces to a lasered 62 yards
What size Longbeards are you shooting?
3.5 inch # 5s
I shot 3" #5's on Sunday through a benelli sbeii, with a jelly head choke. I'd have no problem shooting at 50, and if I messed up and it was 60...it would still be a dead bird.

I do like em close though, so I'll shoot for that.
The 3rd Degree shells are nothing more than creative marketing it seems. The real world patterns posted prove them to only be capable out to 40yds with appropriate chokes. That's an easy task with many available factory lead loads and at a much cheaper cost.

The best bang for the buck in factory turkey ammo currently is hands down Winchester Long Beard XR.
I'd like to see the LB technology used in conjunction with HTL shot
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
The 3rd Degree shells are nothing more than creative marketing it seems. The real world patterns posted prove them to only be capable out to 40yds with appropriate chokes. That's an easy task with many available factory lead loads and at a much cheaper cost.

The best bang for the buck in factory turkey ammo currently is hands down Winchester Long Beard XR.

Don't tell anyone so they don't raise the price! laugh
I'm still shooting supreme elites 5's 3inch that I have hoarded which I think are the best load ever. My Granddaughter took a Tom last year using the new LB's although not a long shot they sure did the job. Think I'll stay with the elites until I run out and then go to the LB's. By the way, anyone have any supreme elites they don't use anymore? I'd be happy to take them off your hands for a resonable price.
I'm not sure anything would be a great improvement over the Winchester Longbeards # 5 in 3 inch or 3.5 inch
I have been using the Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend Turkey Loads which are a mix of 5/6/7 shot. Hevi-Shot has a $10 rebate going on now which bring the cost down to be equivalent to the new Federal 3rd Degree. So I'm sticking with Hevi-Shot this year.
© 24hourcampfire