Home
1. Do you park your porky asscheeks on a stool inside an enclosed nylon potty house with your safe-queen shotgun and call your little heart out? In a mowed, greened up meadow?

2. Do you opportunize on terrain features, belly crawl through cow patties and thorns to cut birds off with minimal calls- run and gun? Mid-day bugger birds in hardwoods?

3. Pay someone a trophy fee, they call, and you shoot over a pile of 'yellow yelper' ?

4. Or do you blast em off the roost like Larry Root?

5. Snipe them from the front porch with an AR-15 and cup of Sanka?

Just wondering
Number 2 for me. I am pretty aggressive and tend to push the bird hard until I kill him.
usually ends up being #2.....
some of the other ways look pretty attractive tho....I ain't agin em....
No blinds or decoys for me. But I ain't crawling thru cow patties either, though using the terrain is a fun way to get really close to birds. Learned that one growing up hunting the north georgia mountains
1 and 2. I chase them in the hardwoods without a blind unless I have my kids with me. Then we sit in a blind, most of the time.
The most fun hunt I e had is belly crawling through the thorn, and I didn't get him!
No blinds or corn piles.

I walk and call. If I get an answer, depending on distance and terrain, I sit down with my decoys and keep calling or I keep calling and moving closer trying not to "bump" the bird until I put the decoys out and set the ambush.

OR

I walk and call. If I get no answer, I walk and call, repeat, repeat, repeat. Makes for tired legs.

I cover a lot of ground while spring gobbler hunting.
I'm from Alabama where the "run-n-gun" is alive and well.

We scout for turkeys and hopefully find a roost tree. Then we try to ambush them.

If that doesn't work we get out there before the sunrise and up on a ridge. As the sun rises we listen for gobblers and locate with a barred owl call. If you find a gobbler that wants to play the game you get as close as you can on him and then about 1 tree closer. Sit against a tree broader than your shoulders and call. When he shuts up better have your gun up. He's coming in.

It's a good bit more complicated than that but that's the gist of it...
I usually hunt them early and try to get set up before they fly down from the roost, but occasionally will take one with a rifle when i want one just for the table. The only time i would use a blind is if i was using my bow or handgun. Never us bait.
Most of the folks I know in this area, that have harvested a gobbler, did it off hand. Such as having a shotgun along while sage rat hunting, etc.. There are a lot of Rio Grandes in this area which seem to be quite mobile. Usually in the spring can run into large groups.
Yeah, we strictly use shotguns, mostly with an extra full choke and heavier than lead shot.
Originally Posted by Diogenes

We scout for turkeys and hopefully find a roost tree. Then we try to ambush them.

If that doesn't work we get out there before the sunrise and up on a ridge. As the sun rises we listen for gobblers and locate with a barred owl call. If you find a gobbler that wants to play the game you get as close as you can on him and then about 1 tree closer. Sit against a tree broader than your shoulders and call. When he shuts up better have your gun up. He's coming in.

Exactly what I was trying to say.
In NY rifles and bait are both illegal. Tried the blinds and they didn't work for me. SO I go to where they roost, hide behind a bush +/- 100 yards away and try to call them to me. If that fails I go to the gobbles and try to sneak within shotgun range!
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by Diogenes

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Yep.
My friend Danny says:

Get a friend that really knows how to work a slate, then follow his ass.

Shoot anything that gets in range, even if its out from under your pal.

Originally Posted by RWE
My friend Danny says:

Get a friend that really knows how to work a slate, then follow his ass.

Shoot anything that gets in range, even if its out from under your pal.

Remind me not to go hunting with Danny.
Sit on a pine covered slope overlooking a creek, use slate and jake gobble and a 22mag.
Both blind and run and gun. Prefer the later, but a blind is great when you take kids.
Originally Posted by taz4570
Both blind and run and gun. Prefer the later, but a blind is great when you take kids.

This, right here.
Both 1 and 2, although I don't have any safe queen shotguns.

As a general rule I only use a tent with kids or if it's raining. It's just too much stuff to carry a tent and a chair or chairs.

In Alabama the most fun is getting them to gobble on the roost at daylight and then setting up to intersect them before they get to a real hen.

I did start using a gobbler lounge chair last year and have to admit, it is comfortable for a fat boy. Not the easiest thing to get out of, but very comfortable.

Bob.
Saturday - complete with fresh cow patties...

Originally Posted by slumlord
2. Do you opportunize on terrain features, belly crawl through cow patties and thorns to cut birds off with minimal calls- run and gun?

Sunday - and he was hung up like a bugger...

Mid-day bugger birds in hardwoods?

When bowhunting...guility!

Do you park your porky asscheeks on a stool inside an enclosed nylon potty house with your safe-queen shotgun and call your little heart out?

This morning, I walked in the general direction of where I wanted to set up and do some calls. I didn't even get the chance, saw a nice tom with 5 hens. Quick hunt, fast shot at about 30yds. Me and tom back in the truck. All of about 20min. Kinda anti-climatic...
© 24hourcampfire