Home
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Original Mossy Oak - 03/17/16
Does anyone have any older Mossy Oak camo sitting in the closet not getting used? I am looking for some! Please PM me or text 417-254-0595 to let me know what you have. Text preferably as I am not able to get on here much. Looking for Original Bottomland and Greenleaf. Vests, Hats, Shirts, Pants, jackets anything please!
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/17/16
You can buy it new from the Mossy Oak store. Check out their website.
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/18/16
Yes I know, but the new stuff is 100% junk. I bought some and it is not anywhere comparable to the old stuff. Thank you though!
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/18/16
Tha's typical for Mossy Oak
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/18/16
For sure
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/18/16
Toxey sure went the wrong direction with quality that is for sure.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/19/16
Tell me this; does Mossy Oak actually produce clothing, hats, other gear - or do they simply license other manufacturers to use their patterns? I have several items with Mossy Oak patterns, but all have other brand names on the labels.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/19/16
I believe both. I have Mossy Oak brand clothing as well as other brands with MO patterns. My older Mossy Oak brand chamois shirt is around 20 years old now, not worn a bunch but still looks good.

I buying new stuff I have found Cabelas branded clothing as hard to beat as you can find.
Posted By: WillARights Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/19/16
It would take a bit o dinero to pry my original issue bottomland set of shirt pants and hat from me.

Loved it. But have completely abandoned the camo game as of late.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/19/16
I have too, but I did love the old bottomland and the green leaf and fall foliage. Turkey hunting back in the day I wore fall foliage pants and bottomland shirt till the woods greened up then it was a green leaf shirt. If I wear camo now which isn't often it's natgear. I also loved shadow grass till they screwed it all up and put a bunch of black in it. Most camo is to dark.

Posted By: BobWills Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/20/16
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I have too, but I did love the old bottomland and the green leaf and fall foliage. Turkey hunting back in the day I wore fall foliage pants and bottomland shirt till the woods greened up then it was a green leaf shirt. If I wear camo now which isn't often it's natgear. I also loved shadow grass till they screwed it all up and put a bunch of black in it. Most camo is to dark.

Exactly right Billy. It is too dark and when you look at it 50 to 75 yards away, it sticks out like a sore thumb because it is a dark blob in the form of a human.

Most camo patterns today are designed to catch buyers and not for camouflage. They look good up close, but in the woods, they suck. A pattern needs large blobs to break up the human form and NONE of this new "photograph pattern printed" stuff works because those patterns are too busy and too small. At any distance at all, they just run together into a dark blob just like you describe so well.

About 10 years ago, I started buying military surplus camo because it is well made from good materials and won't come apart like so much of what is available from most retailers today. I have had to do a little painting on some of it to make my own pattern, usually to add a little light green or light tan or kaki to make some "HOLES" in the pattern for "light" to shine through and break up the human form, but it seems to work about as well as any of the stuff we can buy from outfits like Mossy Oak, Real Tree, and many others. Actually, it works better when I can find it. Places like Sportsman's Guide has it at various times of the year, usually in the off season when many people are not looking for that kind of stuff. By the time hunting season comes around and everyone is looking, it is all gone.

The other problem is that some of you boys have sorta "out grown" your old camo and a lot of the military stuff is sized for younger, shall we say, "less stout" men and that makes it hard finding military stuff to fit.

But I have also looked real hard at the Nat Gear patterns and I like them. They should work very well in many different environments. I hope they are doing good for you.

All the best.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/20/16
Bob, I agree with your idea and wear a lot of surplus (due to having two footlockers full from a 32 year ARNG career). I like the newer Multi-Cam, the jungle weight BDU, and the old ARVN tiger stripe in ripstop. I always mix them up, darker bottom or top coupled with the opposite - idea is to break up the human silhouette. A cold morning turkey hunting along the Pee Dee River in SC a couple of years ago - by the way, that is an Elite II vest I've owned for a least a decade, the only name on it is Mossy Oak. BB

[Linked Image]
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/20/16
The natgear does work good, I hunt a reservior for waterfowl in the winter with winter pool being 53 vertical feet lower than in the summer. Nothing to hide in besides rocks and it blends in well. It doesn't have the black blob thing going on when field hunting like the sticks twigs and leaves camo does.
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/21/16
Thanks for the comments guys! If any of you have it laying in your closets not getting use let me know ill buy it off ya! THANKS!
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/21/16
i bought a one piece coverall set back in the late 80's when it first came out, my sons are using it to this day (for some reason it shrunk on me)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobWills Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/21/16
Great turkey photo Jim and the boy ain't bad looking either.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/21/16
thanks Bob, that was his last youth hunt. he wrote a story for school about that hunt and it really just about brought me to tears with pride.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/21/16
I loved the old mossy oak stuff! still have some , i rember meeting the mossy oak crew at the shot show in 1988-89, talked my buddie that owned the Archery shop to order there cammo! Why change a good thing!
Posted By: BobWills Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/21/16
Wal Jim, it seems to be something completely unexpected by many modern yuppie types, out of the ordinary, and a total anomaly when modern day boys step up and do manly things. For those of us who are vets, we wonder why anyone is surprised because the military trains boys to become men all the time.

Take a stable young man with common sense and teach him duty, responsibility, obligation and leadership, and then give him responsibility and let him know you expect him to do well and SHAZAM!!! HE USUALLY DOES!!

But I'll bet that simple formula ain't any big secret to most of those on this forum.
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/23/16
bump
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/24/16
What size do you need?
Posted By: eamyrick Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/24/16
Went to the Mossy Oak store in Westpoint yesterday. A lot of great deals. All the shirts and pants were $15. I bought 2 bottomland tech long sleeves and a mask for turkey hunting.
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/27/16
bump
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 03/28/16
bump
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 04/02/16
Browning makes clothes in the original MO Bottom. I have a few sets and like it.
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 04/04/16
bump
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 09/23/16
bump
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Original Mossy Oak - 10/10/16
this photo was taken this past sat by two of my sons. the youngest one taking the "selfie" in the foreground is wearing my 30 yr old vintage mossy oak coveralls.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 10/17/16
My favorite came is the military BDU's in either dark gray digital or original green woodland. It's easy to get, lasts forever & has zero noise making velcro.
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 01/31/17
BUMP
Posted By: bowhuntmo22 Re: Original Mossy Oak - 05/01/17
TTT
© 24hourcampfire