Home
Spotted Two Gobbler Strutting in the pouring rain out in the field. Never gobbled one time and there was two hens with them. I watched the hens leave them and they feed out the edge of the woods so i set up between them and waited and when the Gobblers saw the hens had left them here they came i let the smaller one feed by and then here come the other one at around 30 yards, he strutted a couple of times and when i raised the shotgun he caught it and raised his head and started to leave, but it was too late for that he went down and never even kicked. I was using the Old Winchester Single barrel Model 37 with the standard Federal 2 & 3/4 inch 1 &1/4 oz Number 4 shot. Beard was 9 inch's and Spurs 1 and 1/4 inch long. I'm guessing the weight was 20 plus pounds. Never had to make one call.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
NICE!
First shotgun I ever used. The model 37 in 12g. It belongs to my uncle. Harvested my first ducks and pheasants with it. He let me borrow it when I was 10 years old.

After I received a Springfield Model 67 pump 12g with vented rib for my 12th birthday, my uncle asked for his Model 37 to be returned.

He's never used it since. Not having any children of his own, I sure hope he leaves that thing to me when he departs this mortal existence.

Thanks for displaying the picture. Sure brings back some memories from my youth.

Jeff
One reason I use the old single barrel is because it takes me back to when I was a Kid and a Teen. I have many shotguns but like the old ones every now and then, because they work just as well now as they did 50 or more years ago.
Nice tom. Congrats!
Something wrong here, you killed a gobbler with a 2 3/4" shell and a standard full choke !! smile Everyone knows it takes a 3.5" shell & a $50 choke tube.
Location Location Location
You put yourself in the best location and it sho-nuff paid off. Well done brother!
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Something wrong here, you killed a gobbler with a 2 3/4" shell and a standard full choke !! smile Everyone knows it takes a 3.5" shell & a $50 choke tube.

Forgot to mention I had to beat him over the head with a big rock after shooting him with a standard rabbit load. He didn't last long because i invited him to supper.

[Linked Image]
Nice Tom and nice shotgun - congratulations!
Good fortune and good bird.
Awesome! I don't mind a rainy day in the woods. You don't have to get up as early, they hang in the fields, and you can be quiet as a mouse!

Congrats!!
Good work, Bea.

Woodsmanship pays off.
Nothing wrong with that one brother!
Congrats Bea!
Yumm! Please post your recipe. I usually just bake my birds, but your plate looks very good.

Good work. The birds out here are usually very quiet in the rain. They explode as soon as he sky starts to clear.
Congrats on your Tom Turkey. Please make sure you clean that shotgun thoroughly. I might be able to convince you to sell it to me some day. smile
Something wrong here, you killed a gobbler with a 2 3/4" shell and a standard full choke !! smile Everyone knows it takes a 3.5" shell & a $90 choke tube.

Fixed it. wink
Congrats on a nice bird!
Nice!
Originally Posted by taz4570
Yumm! Please post your recipe. I usually just bake my birds, but your plate looks very good.

Good work. The birds out here are usually very quiet in the rain. They explode as soon as he sky starts to clear.

Soak in salt water for a few hours cut the breast in strips, fill gallon bag full of seasoned flour and add black pepper and fully coat the strips in the bag, then get the oil in the skillet hot enough to bake the coating on the meat as soon as you drop it in the oil and fry to completely done and brown.
Nice bird. Looks like it has a cuppla heavy-duty spurs.

Steve.
That's why I use an old 30" F&M double. They pattern great, and I like the choice of chokes for those close encounters. I have a CE grade fox 26" bbls F&IC that is ideal, but I only take it on flat country. I fall alot in the mtns. Use a $350 Fulton by LC smith.

Charlie
I love my LC Smith doubles, I have both the 12 and 16 GA's
Originally Posted by bea175

Forgot to mention I had to beat him over the head with a big rock after shooting him with a standard rabbit load. He didn't last long because i invited him to supper.

[Linked Image]

You tell it so well, I can actually see it all happen. Congratulations doing it the old way. Old STILL works. this I know.
Single shots are my favorite turkey guns.....nicely done!!!
© 24hourcampfire