Home
Posted By: Sand_Man Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/15/16
I've done several of these. This is my latest try on a 20ga I built for my dad. Not real excited how the tracks turned out, but the camo is probably one of my favorites so far. He likes it, so that's all that matters.

In process...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sand_Man Re: Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/15/16
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Loaded him up 25 of these...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Guns throws one of the most even patterns I've tested yet at 40 yards.....260's in the 10" and 20" circle for 520+ hits.
And assembled. I didn't get pictures before he took off with it, and Dad isn't great with technology. However, here is the gun assembled. I like the way the camo turned out, but I hate how the tracks ended. Wish I had black webbed them with the rest of the gun then clear coated it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cool looking gun. Good job!!! What paint did you use?
Posted By: Diyelker Re: Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/15/16
That looks great!
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Cool looking gun. Good job!!! What paint did you use?

Thanks. Rattle can, camo paint from Wally World.

I'll have to upload some pics of my personal gun. I've hunted with it for 5 years. Painted it the same way as this gun, and it has held up well.

The biggest thing is to sand down the gun to remove the terrible Remington bluing or to rough up your synthetic stocks, remove all dirt and grease, and prime the gun. After the initial prime, I sand again with a really low grit sand paper to smooth the finish, clean it again, and re-prime. Once the gun is primed, camo is the easy part.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/15/16
Looks great Old Man

I think it looks terrific, Sandman.

Fine work.
Posted By: pullit Re: Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/16/16
I like it
Posted By: Sand_Man Re: Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/18/16
'ppreciate it. Looks like I'm about to do another one for a close friend. Guy is actually lucky to still be with us. During a sleep study, they found an irregular heart beat. Until the cardiologist could look at the data, they put a life vest on him. Almost a year to the day we were out hunting and he had a heart attack. I stared death in the eye that day. Such a helpless feeling, but the life vest saved him. He ended up having open heart surgery and 4 bypasses put in. Oklahoma Department of Wildlife did a story on him. I'll have to see if I can find it. Thinking instead of turkey tracks I'll use a life like heart stencil on his gun.
Posted By: Diyelker Re: Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/18/16
When you paint the next one, take a bunch of pictures and do a long healthy write up with it and maybe even a YouTube vid for us please. Your paint jobs look great. I'd like to try it on mine, but I'm nervous.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/24/16
I'd give the paint job a "10"!
Posted By: tzone Re: Painted a 20ga Turkey gun - 04/24/16
Originally Posted by Diyelker
When you paint the next one, take a bunch of pictures and do a long healthy write up with it and maybe even a YouTube vid for us please. Your paint jobs look great. I'd like to try it on mine, but I'm nervous.

Nothing to be nervous about. It's paint dude. If you don't like it past it again.
© 24hourcampfire