Home
Posted By: Odessa Swamp bird - 04/27/16
I was hunting on the low field near a Pitt County creek on Tuesday morning. Had plenty of chatter from the gobblers up and down the creek, but none that would be called out of the swamp land along the creek. I stalked into the swamp and heard a close gobble, got behind a tree, and yelped lightly on a glass pot. This tom came looking for the hen, I shot him where he stopped and raised his head (52 yards) with 2 oz. of Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend. Odessa

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 17_wizzer Re: Swamp bird - 04/28/16
congrats! nice thunder chicken
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Swamp bird - 04/28/16
Congrats!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Swamp bird - 04/28/16
Boy thats a Dandy!
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Swamp bird - 04/28/16
Heck yeah. Love the winchester.
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: Swamp bird - 04/28/16
Nice! Congrats.

Steve.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Swamp bird - 05/01/16
Fine bird! Are those Truglo sights? I put some on my scatter gun this year and love 'um.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Swamp bird - 05/01/16
Thanks gents.

Those are aftermarket Williams "Slugger" Firesights, they bolt around the vent rib. I like them much better than the tube type red-dot I used to own.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WillARights Re: Swamp bird - 05/04/16
How the heck did I miss this one.

Thats really a terrific birdy, Odessa.

No doubt hes hiding down there with his lady cause he thinks no one will go in there to raust him out. Well, he doesnt know about the Clan with the Thumb, does he.

Id go in there too. Might even pull the trigger with my thumb, just to show dominance.

Well done.

I got one of them Winchesters. Those barrels weigh quite a bit for run n gun.
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: Swamp bird - 05/05/16
Nice bird man. Congrats
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Swamp bird - 05/08/16
I hope swamp gobbler are easier than mountain gobbler! I finally got a gobbler yesterday morning around 8:30. I only got to hunt 4 times this year and I'm glad I didn't end up with a big ol goose egg.

I have never turkey hunted in any other terrain besides mountains. I bet it's harder to move on swamp or prairie turkeys than highland turkys, but mountain turkeys are hard to get to and get set up on and are almost impossible to call down hill.
Posted By: Rye77 Re: Swamp bird - 05/17/16
Nice work Odessa. I heard a few this year around New Bern, but by far and large the flocks that used to roam the Croatan down my way are gone. Too much pressure I think. I need to find a club that has birds to join, as the gamelands are about void down by me.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Swamp bird - 05/17/16
Originally Posted by Odessa
Thanks gents.

Those are aftermarket Williams "Slugger" Firesights, they bolt around the vent rib. I like them much better than the tube type red-dot I used to own.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have used red dot scopes for years. I've gone back to just the shotgun for the past couple of years and wondered why I ever went the red dot route. BTW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,VERY nice bird and way to go, going in after it.
© 24hourcampfire