Home
Posted By: cdb Which optic? - 04/28/16
New to turkey hunting. Have shot quite a few when deer and hog hunting but never gone out strictly for turkey.

I'll be using a Weatherby SA-459 Turkey - cuzz I won it. I will be mounting an optic and can't decide between two. I can get either one free with points I've earned at work.

Meopta MeoSight III
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/us/meosight-iii/meosight3/ctgRus.html?interestTopic=2

or

Leupold VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader 1-4x20mm with either Heavy Duplex or Turkey Plex reticle.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...copes/vx-1-shotgunmuzzleloader-1-4x20mm/

Which optic would you choose?

I MIGHT also use it as a HD shotgun since the barrel is quite a bit shorter than on my other shotguns but turkey is the main purpose. I have handguns and a couple of AR's for HD too.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
I really like the turkey plex reticle. You could mount the scope in QD rings for HD.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16

Well, either will work fine. My preference would be for the "red dot" due to size, weight, and profile difference. With a 3 MOA dot at forty yards it will give you just a "pin point" of light but that's ok for turkeys and will give you added versatility should you use it on longer range targets also at some time.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
I use the Burris fast fire 3 with the 3 dot. Does good for me.
Posted By: cdb Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
I was leaning towards the red dot at first but then started thinking about a scope too. I already have some Warne QD's that will work with the scope as Dave mentioned.

It makes me so mad at myself that I fret over something as inconsequential as this.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
I have a Tru glo gobble stopper on my 835 and it's performed very well. It's held its zero through close to a hundred 3.5 inch magnum turkey loads, has excellent battery life, and is easy on the budget
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
First year I've used an optic on one of my turkey guns. I had a local guy drill and tap a 20 gauge 870 youth for a Remington 700 front base, then mounted a Burris Fast Fire II. I did the same for my son. I really like a dot for guns with tighter patterns.

Given your choices, I'd go with the Meopta. I really don't need magnification for a turkey gun, especially if I'm going to use it for home defense situations.

Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
Another reflex vote. Really light and unmatched speed. I'm running 4 FFs on turkey rigs including the SA459 you speak of.

Not a big fan of the taller mounts unless speaking AR. Is the riser removable on the Meopta?

I prefer 336 mounts, but the 459 has a round receiver. A pic mount works well with the included base. I actually like the base on the 2016 459 as it has a deep channel designed to be used as open sights with the bead if the optic were to fail in the field.

Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
Here's my 459:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
I used scopes on my Turkey guns for years. The reason I switched to the Burris is I lost the vision in my right eye and it makes it easier for me to get on one especially if its coming in from my blind side. You don't have to center the dot to get a hit. Love it.
Posted By: cdb Re: Which optic? - 04/28/16
The Meopta is not on a riser.
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: Which optic? - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by cdb
Leupold VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader 1-4x20mm with either Heavy Duplex or Turkey Plex reticle.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...copes/vx-1-shotgunmuzzleloader-1-4x20mm/

This is what I have and I'm very happy with it. Except that mine is the NWTF version in a color called "Earth."

Steve.
Maker of the Northern Scratchbox Turkey Call
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Which optic? - 04/29/16
You could put a ghost ring rear sight and a front sight with a tritium dot and do everything with it.
Posted By: cdb Re: Which optic? - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
You could put a ghost ring rear sight and a front sight with a tritium dot and do everything with it.

I will go with one of the options I asked about.
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: Which optic? - 05/05/16
Meopta would get my vote. I have been running a gobble stopper on my 870 this year and really like it. I think you would be a lot quicker on target with it for turkey or home defense.
Posted By: cdb Re: Which optic? - 05/13/16
Meopta is backordered indefinitely through our dealer program and so are the Vortex Razor and Venom. So I ordered a Burris FastFire III with the AR mount.

Thank you for all of the replies.
© 24hourcampfire