Home
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Two down in NY - 05/14/16
Tagged two nice birds this year. Shot the first one in a rain storm, he was 20.14lbs with a 9-1/2" beard and 3/4" Spurs. The second came in at 21.6lbs, had a 9" beard and 1-1/4" Spurs. Now I'm driving two hours south every chance I get to hunt some PA state land.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Two down in NY - 05/14/16
Very nice. I also filled both of my NY tags.
Posted By: WillARights Re: Two down in NY - 05/14/16
Nice going trout.

Top one looks like he's masquerading as a vulture.

Neat trumpet call. Did it take long to master?
Ive thought of taking one up in the past, but never got around to fiddling with it.
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Two down in NY - 05/15/16
Good going Trout!
I too got both of my birds... the first at 6:45 opening morning and the second one I had to hunt for two mornings, got him at 8:50. We don't have to take them in to be checked anymore here in MO. so I weighed them with an old hanging scale and the first weighed in at 25lbs with the second at a bit over 22lbs.

Like your call... I've made a few wing bone calls in the past from a few of my birds and killed a couple using them but I've pretty much settled on slates now.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Two down in NY - 05/15/16
Congrats! Bird numbers are way down around my part of the state Went hunting 2 days I'm done for this year
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Two down in NY - 05/15/16
Thanks guys! The trumpet is a Ralph Permar Delrin .45 and is my current favorite. It took me about a month of practicing to become competent enough with a trumpet to take it hunting. I probably practiced about ten minutes a day on average.
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: Two down in NY - 05/15/16
Nice!

Steve.
Posted By: WillARights Re: Two down in NY - 05/15/16
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Thanks guys! The trumpet is a Ralph Permar Delrin .45 and is my current favorite. It took me about a month of practicing to become competent enough with a trumpet to take it hunting. I probably practiced about ten minutes a day on average.

Thanks trout.

Can you make many different calls with it?

They arent cheap, so just trying to get a feel for the call type from an owner.
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Two down in NY - 05/16/16
I can do yelps, cutts, clucks, and kee kee's. The yelps are where it really shines. In the hands of a competent caller they are very realistic and seductive.
© 24hourcampfire