Home
Posted By: rainierrifleco Shot size - 04/17/17
What do you use?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Shot size - 04/17/17
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Shot size - 04/17/17
Posted By: Odessa Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
Either Hevi-Shot Magnum Blends or Hevi-13 #5.
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
#9 TSS
Posted By: wldthg Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
12--- 6's
20--- 7's
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
Mostly 5's. Used a Longbeard in 6 shot to take a bird this year. Although I know it's all about the pattern of your shotgun, I just cannot get used to the small shot thing. I'd use 4's if I could the gun to pattern them good enough.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
#7 Federal Heavyweight for the last 5 years. Winchester #5 before that.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
Mostly 5's, but have killed them w/ 2's, 4's 6 's & 7 1/2's.. Never could find the #7 Fed heavyweight for my 20 ga.
Posted By: tzone Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
20ga #5 Hevi-shot
12ga #6 Hevi-shot

The only reason is they way they pattern.
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
I use #5 shot, but three things are more important than shot size:
1. a dense pattern
2. limiting your shots to a range that will kill the turkey.
3. maintaining your composure during the shot.

Many hunters make the mistake of thinking their shotgun will do the same thing under field conditions as it does under range conditions. But under range conditions, you have a measured yardage (as opposed to a field judgment), a clear shot to the target (as opposed to the possibility of unseen saplings being in the way), and a completely relaxed shot (as opposed to the nervousness of shooting at a live target).

Steve.

Maker of the the Northern Scratchbox turkey call.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
I used #4's this year for my gobbler. I've killed them with 4's, 5's,6's and duplex loads of 4x6. They all work. But it seems I go back to 4's most times. I shoot my old Remington 870 2 3/4" 12 guage. It has a 30" barrel. I bought it back in 1970 with money earned by delivering newspapers after school.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
19g/cc #9.5 aka Turkey Kryptonite

Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
#6 winchester supreme turkey.

tried federal, remington, remington
duplex, regular remington high brass

of course, each gun patterns different and
to get the optimum you have to burn lots of
shells and experiment. i also cut a long
forcing cone on my guns. all the newer ones
already have it i think, or are backbored.
good luck
Posted By: Natty_Bumpo Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
#7 Federal Heavyweight for the last 5 years.

Dittos.

For both 12 and 20 GA.; Federal HW #7s. Better retained velocity and kinetic energy downrange than lead #5', which is what I always had used previously.

"Playtime is Over"

NB
Posted By: Wes_D Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
Posted By: Sand_Man Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
19g/cc #9.5 aka Turkey Kryptonite

Ditto. Started with #7s in a 12ga, then #8s, then #9s. Went to a 20ga with the #9s and now at #9.5s. About to step to the 28ga and try to complete my slam with the #9.5s. Nothing like hand rolling your own loads.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
Used 4's or 25 or so years in 3" 12 gauge. Now it's Federal Heavyweight 7's in the 20 gauge.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
I been using #2 but seems more 4 and 5 shot guys....
Posted By: TheKid Re: Shot size - 04/18/17
I think I've used about every shot size from OO buck up to 7 1/2 and they'll all kill a gobbler.

My favorite used to be 3" Federal 6s in 12ga. Then I discovered 3" Hevishot 4s which were dynamite, and should have been at $3 a round. Used 2 3/4 Remington pheasant loads with 7 1/2s for a bit, patterned great out of my old gun.

This year the Mrs has her gun loaded with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 3" 1 5/8oz nickel plated 6s and I used 2oz of Bismuth 4s out of my SP10 on my first bird of the season. I will probably try for the next one with one of my Browning double autos and a pheasant load left over from December. That'll probably mean a 1 1/4oz load of 6s as I think that's what I have left.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Shot size - 04/18/17

Federal 7's - 20 gauge
Hevi13 7's - 12 gauge
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Shot size - 04/19/17
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I use #5 shot, but three things are more important than shot size:
1. a dense pattern
2. limiting your shots to a range that will kill the turkey.
3. maintaining your composure during the shot.

Many hunters make the mistake of thinking their shotgun will do the same thing under field conditions as it does under range conditions. But under range conditions, you have a measured yardage (as opposed to a field judgment), a clear shot to the target (as opposed to the possibility of unseen saplings being in the way), and a completely relaxed shot (as opposed to the nervousness of shooting at a live target).

Steve.

Maker of the the Northern Scratchbox turkey call.

Very good post, especially number 2. We hear and read about those 60 yard kills, and how great a certain shell will kill a turkey at that range. I have killed several birds over 50 yards, measured distance, not estimated, and while I had the confidence in myself and my gun to make the shot, afterwards I realized that was almost too far. If someone just wants to kill a turkey, then they don't care how they do it. If someone wants to hunt a turkey, then they pride themselves on calling that bird in as close as possible, then taking the shot. I get a much bigger thrill knowing I called a tom in and killed him at 25 or 30 yards, than I do anything else. At this distance, shot size doesn't really matter.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Shot size - 04/19/17
#9 TSS and have used some #8.5 TSS. Both in the 20 gauge.

I used Federal HW#7's before the TSS.

When I shot a 12, it was usually with a #5 or #6 of some sort. I won't go back to the 12 at this point.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Shot size - 04/19/17
[quote=Everyday Hunter]I use #5 shot, but three things are more important than shot size:
1. a dense pattern- That's why we play with shot size and metal density
2. limiting your shots to a range that will kill the turkey.- That's why we play with shot size and shot density
3. maintaining your composure during the shot.- Has nothing to do with choosing shot size or shot density
/quote]

Comments in blue
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Shot size - 04/20/17
5's
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: Shot size - 04/21/17
Copper plated #7 1/2 in 20 gauge.
Copper plated # 6 in 12 gauge.
Nickle plated # 7 1/2 in the 20 gauge flintlock

Those give the best patterns in my guns and plenty of penetration at the distances I will shoot.
Posted By: rong Re: Shot size - 04/21/17
Had the best luck with 5's
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Shot size - 04/22/17
6's .... I somehow have acquired enough for several lifetimes.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Shot size - 04/22/17
I use #5 shot in both 20 ga. and 12 ga. conventional shotguns. In a flintlock 20 ga. I use No. 5 as well. I am in a rut.

The flintlock I use requires birds to be within 25 yards and I get pretty good pattern density with #5 shot
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Shot size - 04/22/17
5's here too...
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
#4s, 5s or 6s. They all work.

Could easily be satisfied with #5s from here on out.

Tempted to play with #7 Hevis though.
Posted By: shaman Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
The majority of the Shamanic Dream Team shoot #4 lead shot. Angus shoots #5, because it patterns better in his gun.

Posted By: scottishkat Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
When I started hunting Turkeys 25 years ago I bought 3" #2,4,5,6 and 4x6. I have been shooting them with 4x6 duplex as they patterned better than 5's. But 5's will do for me just fine.

If I was starting out again I would start here.

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/magnum-blend/

I have heard great things about the 5,6 and 7 loads.

Anything over 40 or 45 yards with a factory shotgun can be hit or miss IME. It is all about pattern density.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
Posted By: beretzs Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
Hevi Shot Mag Blend here for the 12 and 20 gauge.

Used 5's in the Winchester Longbeards as well.

Posted By: bea175 Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
No 5 shot
Posted By: borden811 Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
Mostly htl 7s, as they will strait wreck a bird any any reasonable range. Played around with the longbeards in all shot sizes, killed a couple birds with the 4s, but couldn't get any consistency in the patterns, so I ditched them. Back to the 7s and life is good.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
3" Nitro Ammunition 4x5x7 HeviShot blend in the 12ga; 3" Nitro Ammunition HeviShot 7s in the 20ga.

Yea, none of the above are cheap - $5-$7/rnd. But ammo is the cheapest part of the hunt!
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
The state regulations here allow #4 shot as the largest size for turkey, they have no minimum size.

I've used 4,5, or 6 shot depending on the conditions. This year I will likely be using #6 as it was an early spring and the woods should be leafed out pretty well. They will fill out a more open choke which I use after the woods leaf out. If it were a more normal spring the visibility would be much greater and I would most likely load up with 4s and a more typical choke.

Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Shot size - 04/23/17
Winchester 3" 5's have always seemed to work for gobblers. I do not believe I do not need expensive shells to kill them.
Posted By: Westernmassman Re: Shot size - 04/24/17
20=#6Heavyshot
12=4x5x7Nitro or #6 Longbeard's
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Shot size - 05/01/17
Well said...I think I will try 4 shot next time out....the 2 might not be a dense enough pattern in 2 3/4
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Shot size - 05/01/17
Well said...I think I will try 4 shot next time out....the 2 might not be a dense enough pattern in 2 3/4
Posted By: BruinPoint Re: Shot size - 05/03/17
Someone school me on the shot sizes smaller than 6 for turkeys - what are the advantages?
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Shot size - 05/03/17
If using heavier than lead you get more pellets on target that out penetrate lead.

Federal heavyweight 7's from my 20 gauge will hit about like a lead #4 but have a much greater pattern.

I shot a bird a couple years ago at 52yd with Hevi13 #7's and had pellets break the near humerus and femur along with cleanly shooting through the brain and spine. The turkeys and coyotes I've shot with HTL 7's have been absolutely smashed.
Posted By: BruinPoint Re: Shot size - 05/04/17
So lead #7's might not be a good idea? I like the idea of more pellets and better patterns.
Posted By: Badgerloader Re: Shot size - 05/04/17
12 gauge 3" Federal Premium copper-clad, buffered #4
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Shot size - 05/04/17
Originally Posted by BruinPoint
So lead #7's might not be a good idea? I like the idea of more pellets and better patterns.

I would probably pass on the 7's lead.

A pattern from my 20 gauge with Fed 7's:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Shot size - 05/17/17
20ga 3" 1-1/2oz Federal Heavy Weigh 7s.
After one pattern board with these I put the 12ga away.
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: Shot size - 03/02/18
Originally Posted by BruinPoint
Someone school me on the shot sizes smaller than 6 for turkeys - what are the advantages?

It just happens to pattern better in some of my guns. Hard plated shot gives plenty of penetration. Head and neck shots catch more pellets with smaller shot size so more hits in the vertebra and skull are probable.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Shot size - 03/02/18
What Rug3 said
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: Shot size - 03/04/18
I hunted with a 3 1/2 4,5,7 magblend the first year I turkey hunted as it had the best, most dense pattern.
Now as stated earlier in post I hunt with a 20gauge and 19g/cc from reloaded that will eats the heavy shots lunch on paper or the field. It’s amazing if you never used tss to see what the smaller shot size is capable off.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Shot size - 03/06/18
1.5 oz of #9 /2 TSS in a 28 gauge
Posted By: crsides Re: Shot size - 03/16/18
# 5
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Shot size - 03/19/18
6’s in Heavy Shot, 5’s in lead.
Both in 3” shells.
Posted By: shootem Re: Shot size - 04/07/18
In the 10 ga plain old #4 copper plated lead 2 1/4 oz. Rem of Fed. They generally don''t flop. But last one was Win #5 2 1/4. At 48 steps he flopped a bit but was dead just the same.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Shot size - 04/07/18
#5's work great for me.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Shot size - 04/07/18
Years ago, before I figured out more about shot density, pattern, and ballistics, I’d shoot some 4s and 5s. For the last 10 years, nothing but 6s and mostly smaller, usually in varying other than lead compositions. I find zero need/practical use for larger shot sizes on turkeys to as far as anyone needs to shoot at one, 12 or 20. I’ve killed them to 50yards (in a pinch on someone else’s cripple) with a 20ga and 6 or 7s. It’s way more about holding a pattern density together, than needing more energy or penetration than any >6 shot. It doesn’t take much to brain pan or break a neck on a turkey. I’ve killed birds with a lot of OTHER PEOPLE’S 4s and 5s in their breasts and legs, though.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Shot size - 04/08/18
I use number 5 hard shot,1 5/8 oz.in 2 3/4 12 gauge.

Shot well out of all the shotguns they were tried in.
I did kill a wild chicken at 80 yards on the wing and a friend killed 2 turkeys with his Winchester 97 12 gauge with 1 shot,full choke.
© 24hourcampfire