Home
The seller's Father worked at both Savage Arms Chicopee and Westfield plants.
Any ideas where, when & why this badge is from?
Employee dept. ID?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Seems like a building or dept # is most likely, but what do I know. I don't think the #3 man in the company is going to wear a cheap pin on his suit.
Could be a security clearance that grants him access to different areas.
He was an inspector?
It could be anything really. Maybe #3 in sales or production, a merit badge of some sort. 3 "skills"/areas of proficiency? #3 parking space. #3 in line for the head?
Trade show badge? ... no names, just numbers maybe??

Or recognition for 3 years of service to the company?
Originally Posted by JeffG

Or recognition for 3 years of service to the company?

There ya go.
A little about the Chicopee plant history.
From an EPA doc circa 2015 regarding demolition.

My Dad was working a the Stevens plant in 43 when he got drafted. Replaced by a woman I think, a lot of women worked there . One of my hunting buddies mother worked at the Springfield Armory.
My guess is that it indicated the shop/area of the plant that the wearer worked in.
I can email pics of another similar Savage Arms Corp. pin with the #5 if someone would like to post them.
That would be my guess too, Ted. Back in the 70's we tried that at the ACCO chain works, in York, PA. Seemed like a good way to stop the guys from wandering around other buildings than where they belonged, but it was too easy for them to swap badges around, or swipe them. I didn't need one because I was a junior foreman but somewhere in my junk I have one. Maybe I took it off a guy that was an impersonator or something, I don't remember.
Stevens had two plants by 1900. Their main plant was called the River Plant and they added the 'Hill Plant' in 1900. They also made machinist layout & measuring tools in one of the factories. The Stevens picture is from about 1903. I'm not sure where the automobiles were made. Savage was still using both plants in the '50's.

Attached picture Stevens Plants circa 1903.jpg
Attached picture Savage Plants circa 1951.jpg
Gene, OK if I use the 1950's photo in my book? What is the source of the photo? Thanks, David
David , I believe the1950's plant photo is from the 1949-1950 Savage catalog .
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Gene, OK if I use the 1950's photo in my book? What is the source of the photo? Thanks, David
David, don't use that one, it's shrunk down to a lower resolution due to the size limits here, I'll email you a better one. I think that one came from one of the 1951 catalogs, it's also in one of two different 1952 catalogs I have. The one posted from the 1951 catalog really isn't that good of a print, it was just the first catalog I pulled that had it and I didn't compare, I'll scan the best one I can find. The River Plant is also pictured in some of the lawn mower catalogs to show were the lawn equipment was made.

(PS, no, the 1951 catalog was not borrowed....)
Thanks Gene. The emailed pics look good. David

Posted pics of another Savage Arms Corp pin in the Image Gallery if anyone is interested and would care to move it over.
This one appears to be a little older and looks like Bakelite.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire