Home
Posted By: Plab tang sights - 06/17/23
so what is a lyman or marbles tang sight worth these days ? I looked online and I guess I'm out of touch .
I've got some to sell .
don't do well posting pictures here but if any of you are interested send me a message .
don't really know what to ask ???
I figured I'd offer them up here in the group before posting them in the classifieds

plab
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: tang sights - 06/17/23
If you can email the pics I can help out. I strongly promote the notion of selling here to the family first.

First, how about a simple list of the make and models of what you have?
Posted By: Plab Re: tang sights - 06/17/23
Ok Mike I think I have your email

thanks

plab
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: tang sights - 06/18/23
Here's 3 pics of a really unique Lyman and 3 different Marbles. No pics of the 2 Williams FP.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: S99VG Re: tang sights - 06/18/23
That staff on the Lyman is a bit of a Holy Grail!
Posted By: Plab Re: tang sights - 06/18/23
well if anyone is interested, I'd like to get 150 for a marbles . 175 for the one with the box its used but in nice condition
I have two williams that I'd also asked 150 each .. the lyman ? well I gotta start somewhere with it . I know those are rare
So the Lyman has been spoken for thanks Jaaack .... I also have two stith scope/mount sets 1 is a 3/4" with a weaver J2.5 I'd take 300 for that and
then a 1" with a weaver K 2.5 with a post I'd asked 400 for that

Plab
ok here's a try at posting pics this is the 1" stith
https://i.imgur.com/575vQKv.jpg
[Linked Image]
THE LYMAN HAS BEEN SPOKEN FOR

Plab
Posted By: damnesia Re: tang sights - 06/18/23
Wow, sucks I missed that one. Awesome sight, never seen one.
Posted By: GeneB Re: tang sights - 06/20/23
The Lyman has the No 47 stem in it, these would replace the original stem and look like they will adjust almost a low as the standard stems, so they should work without changing anything else.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: tang sights - 06/20/23
Thanks for ID on this Gene.

Surprised to find you can buy a repro from Buffalo.

Lyman 47
Posted By: GeneB Re: tang sights - 06/20/23
That's for a Marble's, not something that was offered by Lyman in the originals as far as I know. They also had them for Lyman's but sold out - .buffaloarms/47-stem-lyman If you ever see one in a Marble's it's almost certainly a reproduction, or possibly an original with a Marble's stem put on it. I will be trying to post a thread about these in a day or two, been going through my catalogs and trying to find my examples.

Added - If a sight was shipped with this stem it was called the No 52, just a standard sight with this stem installed from what I can see. I have a No 52 with box for Savage 22's and holding it on a couple guns it will adjust low enough for some, but on a couple early Model 1903's it will not quite go low enough to line up with the lowest barrel sight setting. If the sight wasn't in a marked box, there would not be a way to say it wasn't just a regular sight that had the stem replaced.

Posted By: Jaaack Re: tang sights - 06/20/23
Gene, Stroebel’s says the No. 47 was available until 1955, but it’s not in my 1935 or 1949 catalogs.
Any idea when it was introduced?
Posted By: GeneB Re: tang sights - 06/22/23
Jaaack, The patent was applied for March 31, 1913, granted May 11. 1915, so it was probably introduced later 1912~early 1913, patents had to be applied for within a year of the design being made public, but they could be applied for before that, so it could have been later. I have a few Lyman catalogs from 1932 on and the No 47 and No 52 are not in any of them, it had to be discontinued before 1932.

The one pictured is marked Pat. Pend. This is what is can be used before the application has been filed, and even after if they don't want to make a new stamp. This would suggest introduction before the patent application.

They take standard Lyman eye pieces and other makers used the same thread.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: tang sights - 06/22/23
Gene,

Thanks for the patent info. That's very helpful.

Actually, I misquoted Stroebel. He wrote "The No. 47 and No. 52 were discontinued by 1955." Since 1932 is earlier than 1955 he is technically correct. I suspected they were discontinued long before 1955.

There are probably a couple of reasons that the No. 47 is not often seen on a No. 1A or 2A SA. If one was buying a new sight and wanted one that is windage adjustable, one would probably just buy a No. 29 1/2 or 30 1/2 which was introduced about the same time. I suspect the cost difference would be negligible. Later, when receiver sights became available, most would probably go that route.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: tang sights - 06/22/23
Thanks for the info everyone. I watched them on Ebay for years but never bought one.
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: tang sights - 06/23/23
Here is one i never seen before. It was on a 303H BB in a shop today.

Attached picture IMG_6221.jpeg
Posted By: Jaaack Re: tang sights - 06/23/23
Joe, I believe that is a Lyman 102 Range Control sight. I’ve never seen one either

That sight alone may be worth as much as the rifle it’s on.
Posted By: GeneB Re: tang sights - 06/23/23
Joe, it's a No 200 King, you almost always find them in good condition because they did not last long before something went wrong, nice looking sight though. They have some delicate parts inside and the post is pressed together and can become loose.
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: tang sights - 06/23/23
Correct Gene, it’s a King sight. Looked to be in like new condition. They wouldnt just sell me the sight. Lol.
Posted By: Mik1 Re: tang sights - 06/28/23
Hi
Is the second stith still available?
Thanks
Posted By: Jaaack Re: tang sights - 06/29/23
https://imgur.com/a/Krjz5Ny

This is my first attempt at posting photos using Imgur.

I decided to install the tang sight with the Lyman No. 47 Windage Stem on my 1912 1899 H in 22 HP. Sort of a 1912 version of a Model 99 varmint rifle. One photo shows the sight with a 1" dia. aperture installed. (Please ignore my foot in the photos.)

I measured the height of the center of the aperture from the top of the knurled knob that adjusts the height of the stem. In the lowest position, the height of the aperture on the Lyman 1A that I removed from the rifle was 0.255". On the sight with the No. 47 windage stem that height was 0.350", so it won't go quite as low as the 1A.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: tang sights - 06/29/23
1 of 4

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: GeneB Re: tang sights - 06/29/23
I am putting together some information on these, I have most of the pictures done but am still doing some research for the written information to go with them. I now know way more than I did a couple weeks ago.

I am surprised there is that much height difference in yours, it should be taller but I did not think it would be that much. It looks like the rear of the base might be above the wood more than usual? You often see these with the base bent up slightly at the rear.

Here's a comparison picture of three SM code sights for the Savage pump 22's, the one with the No 47 stem is an actual No 52 that came with the No 47 stem and is the only one I've ever seen with a box so it can be Identified as one. I though they might have furnished a shorter post on No 52's but it is the same height as the standard one and it does not adjust ae low.
[Linked Image]

There is nothing marked on the sight to indicate it's a No 52.
[Linked Image]

I have 4, the one by itself had the original stem cut off & another one brazed on, the one with the very short base had the post shortened quite a bit and the base modified with notches for some other use, the No 47 stem is good and will go in something else some day.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jaaack Re: tang sights - 06/29/23
Good eye Gene. No, the sight is not bent. The Lyman 1A that was on the rifle had a shim under the left side of the sight. I presume it was to correct windage. I'm not sure why I didn't remove it when I put the windage adjustable sight on, but I have removed it now, and the sight now lays on the wood properly.
Posted By: Plab Re: tang sights - 06/29/23
well I guess you can't edit a post after a certain amount of time goes by?? ,, so here's an up date of what I have left
I still have the 3/4" stith set up someone had asked for it but dropped the ball.. asking 300 for that . and I have but one of the marbles
sights left this one does not have a threaded post so it will not accept an aperture .. asking 150 with the screws

sorry if this has caused any confusion
on another note . I've listed a short rifle in 303 with the 3/4 stith in the classifieds

thank you everyone
Plab
Posted By: Mik1 Re: tang sights - 06/29/23
Plab,
Can you email me concerning the stith mount. My email is in my profile. They still won't let me PM.
Thanks
Mike
Posted By: Plab Re: tang sights - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by Mik1
Plab,
Can you email me concerning the stith mount. My email is in my profile. They still won't let me PM.
Thanks
Mike

email sent

plab
© 24hourcampfire