Home
Posted By: Fireball2 The One you're looking for - 09/26/23
Curious what all of you might be missing that trips your trigger, and the story behind why you want one. How'd you fall in love with your dream gun and how is the search going? What are you passionate about? After all, this is a collectors forum, so tell us what it is.

Thanks, just a slow night in Oregon pondering stuff.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: The One you're looking for - 09/26/23
I’ll start, in the savage 99 department it would have to be the rifle in the movie Joe Kidd which I have read Clint Eastwood might own. I cant remember if the gun is set up for a lefty, but I’m thinking back, Clint might be a lefty.
Posted By: ed7189 Re: The One you're looking for - 09/26/23
40 years ago I saw a 99R 250-3000 on a table at a gun show that was owned by an old Doctor from the Mayo Clinic who was a Parker collector. What was unique about it was that it was an early R with the 3-pt checking and it had K engraving. He said he ordered it that way from the factory and still had the shipping box and papers for it! A one of. It was mint. I wanted it really bad, but he wanted a crazy price for it. Always wondered what ever happened to it.
I wouldn't mind having one that had been to the pole or killed game in Africa.
Posted By: hanco Re: The One you're looking for - 09/26/23
It ain’t a 99 but I’ve wanted a Sako 50th anniversary rifle all of my adult life, finally got one about a year ago

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In no particular order, my wish list:

a Savage 1895 carbine,

an engraved Rigby M1920,

and Burton Spiller's 20 gauge VHE Parker.

If memory serves me right these firearms all reside in New England with their current stewards. May they all live long and in good health.

Oh! and a Roy Chapman Andrews M1920 that went on expedition to Mongolia.
Originally Posted by hanco
It ain’t a 99 but I’ve wanted a Sako 50th anniversary rifle all of my adult life, finally got one about a year ago

I have no idea how you shoot that thing upside down!
Posted By: hanco Re: The One you're looking for - 09/26/23
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by hanco

I have no idea how you shoot that thing upside down!

I don’t know why that pic posts upside down.
Posted By: S99VG Re: The One you're looking for - 09/27/23
After decades in the 99 game I think all I would be happy with with now would be an early 99B or C wearing a 26-in barrel and chambered in 303. I have a windage adjustable Lyman tang sight that's been looking for one of those for years.
Posted By: Loggah Re: The One you're looking for - 09/27/23
I been looking for a Milton Farrow target rifle for some time ! smile I dont really need much in the savage line, maybe a 32-40 saddle ring carbine . grin
Originally Posted by Loggah
I been looking for a Milton Farrow target rifle for some time ! smile
I see one sold at Rock Island a couple years ago for ~$8500.

Farrow sounds like an interesting character. Good shot too!

How I Became a Crack Shot
Posted By: zcm82 Re: The One you're looking for - 09/27/23
Nothing real crazy for me, just a hunter/shooter condition 1899 in 32-40. I'd prefer an A, but a B would be ok as well. I just prefer the round barrels to the octagon.
Collector grade checkered 303 EG. That's one of the holes in the collection of EGs I have.
Posted By: hanco Re: The One you're looking for - 09/27/23
Originally Posted by zcm82
Nothing real crazy for me, just a hunter/shooter condition 1899 in 32-40. I'd prefer an A, but a B would be ok as well. I just prefer the round barrels to the octagon.

I got lucky on a B 32-40 a couple of years ago. It’s been reblued, stock refinished, barrel looks new inside. I can do 2” groups at 50, 3 to 4” groups at 100 with my new store bought eye. It is a pig blaster deluxe. The Hornady 165 grain flex tip or 170 flat tip knock fire out of pigs and the one deer I’ve shot with it. Hit buck in chest, came out right hindquarter. He was at 60 paces.

Something short, like SRC, in 32-40 or 38-55 for me.
It's not an SRC but it is a SR in 32-40. High luster blue grabbed my attention.

Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I would hit the heart button if I could. ❤️
Originally Posted by girlguncollector

I would hit the heart button if I could. ❤️

Thanks for the compliment. I'd hit the heart button, but the fellow that never smiles just might go whacKo. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: tmitch Re: The One you're looking for - 09/27/23
Since I'm not into collecting older vintage 99s, I'd like to find a 99a .250 Saddle Gun (to go with my .358 Brush Gun) at a decent price.
Posted By: Jericho Re: The One you're looking for - 09/27/23
A shooter 99T in 250-3000 would be awesome......
Posted By: zcm82 Re: The One you're looking for - 09/28/23
Very nice rifles Hanco and LBK. 👍

As of yet, I haven't come across what I'm looking for. The couple 32-40 1899s I have seen for sale were higher condition, embellished rifles that were way out of my ballpark. I've got a bunch of test loads with cast 165s, and both Speer and Hornady FN .321" 170s sitting on the shelf ready for whenever I do finally find the one I'm after.

Kind of a back burner deal right now; I've had to drop a lot of money on vehicle and house issues over the past 6 months, so I haven't been actively searching lately.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: The One you're looking for - 09/28/23
I've wanted a "D" engraved 1899 for a long time. Ain't gonna happen. Spending too much money on old hotrods, property tax, insurance, food, etc. frown
I want a gray rat , preferably drilled and tapped 1899/99 F with the ultralight barrel. ( 300 savage)

I keep getting the mid weight barrels. So if anyone has one let minnow
I'm pretty much all Savaged up. I'd like an engraved 1899F in 32-40 or 25-35 as a keeper.

But, if I had the cash to just drop on something, it would probably be a Rigby Highland Stalker in 275. Starting at $10,000 Brit. It's based on the Corbet Tribute Rifle they built a few years ago, that was based on Corbet's rifle. I would get one with the metal butt plate with charging Tiger. That red recoil pad does the same thing to me, that holes in a rifle do to Ted!
Posted By: JeffG Re: The One you're looking for - 09/28/23
I don't have the stamina for the true collector's search.., I just want what I want, (probably because someone told me I cant get it..) then I find out I need to make it for myself...!

Like this, 99 x 410 -repeater 410 repeater!

or, maybe a 99 with a free-floated barrel..,

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: The One you're looking for - 09/28/23
Originally Posted by zcm82
Very nice rifles Hanco and LBK. 👍

As of yet, I haven't come across what I'm looking for. The couple 32-40 1899s I have seen for sale were higher condition, embellished rifles that were way out of my ballpark. I've got a bunch of test loads with cast 165s, and both Speer and Hornady FN .321" 170s sitting on the shelf ready for whenever I do finally find the one I'm after.

Kind of a back burner deal right now; I've had to drop a lot of money on vehicle and house issues over the past 6 months, so I haven't been actively searching lately.

Posted By: zcm82 Re: The One you're looking for - 09/29/23
That's definitely more my speed. 👍

I'm just not really in the market at the moment. I depleted a ton of my savings, so I'm avoiding spending much on fun stuff until I get the rainy day fund back up to a more comfortable level.
Posted By: ring3 Re: The One you're looking for - 10/04/23
Got to hold and manipulate an early 99r at the Columbus Fest in 2010. Really liked that one. Always on the look out for one and a few others. No where near as schooled as most but know what I like. Also know what to avoid based on my tastes thanks to this board. Appreciate most everyone’s input.
I really havent been looking lately. Filled a couple holes in the collection recently with adding a D engraved 1899A and finally my first 1895! There are a couple i would like to find like a 250 barrel band carbine and a C in either 32-40 or 38-55 but im in no hurry. Good luck in your searches gents, cheers 🍻.

Joe
Posted By: RAS Re: The One you're looking for - 10/08/23
I have been thinking about this lately.

It would be nice to have an 1899H in 30-30.
Posted By: S99VG Re: The One you're looking for - 10/08/23
I think I just did!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I wouldn't mind having one that had been to the pole or killed game in Africa.

Pedigree or provenance as a fact of history would be cool.
I lucked into one that will be VERY hard for me to come up with anything better.

Posted By: texken Re: The One you're looking for - 10/08/23
the one I was looking for, I was 11yrs old (not a savage) I worked Saturdays when neighbors would give me work to save money, I bought a 22lr Mossberg, I thought I was the king of Finney county ( 1952 )
Originally Posted by texken
the one I was looking for, I was 11yrs old (not a savage) I worked Saturdays when neighbors would give me work to save money, I bought a 22lr Mossberg, I thought I was the king of Finney county ( 1952 )

You can't put a price on that!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: The One you're looking for - 10/08/23
I lucked into one that will be VERY hard for me to come up with anything better.
Back when you could buy a gun on Broadway in New York City and deliver it in Canada. grin

Wouldn't want to try that today.
Nice one Steve!

I thought the ledger page looked familiar....I have a rifle on the same page.
I’ve been searching for a savage 110pe. Talked to a man who owned a 110 PEL that he sold a few years ago. Figured I’d chase this rabbit hole for a while until I find one. I haven’t had a desire to buy anything else since locating a nice 99.
© 24hourcampfire